Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online licence checks for panels/plugins
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online licence checks for panels/plugins

cmeerwcmeerw Member

Seems like most web hosting panels and plugins have online licence check tools, e.g. https://license.directadmin.com/ https://billing.jetapps.com/verify.php https://www.softaculous.com/verify/ or https://cln.cloudlinux.com/console/check-license

When you buy a web hosting package that is using these panels/plugins, would you expect the results from these licence checks to match what the web hoster offers? What could be the reason that these licence checks don't find a licence or just show "trial" or "free" licences? Should you worry in these cases?

Comments

• emghemgh Member

@cmeerw said: What could be the reason that these licence checks don't find a licence or just show "trial" or "free" licences?

That probably depends on what checker you're talking about. Obviously their flaws won't be the same, it's not the same backend.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • LeviLevi Member

Most of these checks take A record of domain and check against records in DB. IP behind NAT, cloudflare etc. will void those checks.

Thanked by 1ordinanceb
  • cmeerwcmeerw Member

@emgh said: That probably depends on what checker you're talking about. Obviously their flaws won't be the same, it's not the same backend.

The ones I have mentioned above, for example.

@Levi said:
    Most of these checks take A record of domain and check against records in DB. IP behind NAT, cloudflare etc. will void those checks.

Most of these take an IP address, and I am using the IP address of the web hosting machine I would use to login (and as configured on the web hosting machine itself - and that IP address is not a cloudflare IP address, and there is also no NAT involved)

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2

@cmeerw said: Seems like most web hosting panels and plugins have online licence check tools, e.g. https://license.directadmin.com/

I have a licensed DirectAdmin host, however for some reason the check is failed on this portal. Got an update just today, so it is quite interesting to what degree this is actually reliable :D

UPD. Seems like they only remember the last IP address connected to their servers, which was IPv6 one. License check is passed for it.

Thanked by 1cmeerw
  • cmeerwcmeerw Member

@tentor said: Seems like they only remember the last IP address connected to their servers, which was IPv6 one.

That's very interesting, didn't think they accepted IPv6 addresses there. That's for the DA licence check, the others insist on IPv4 addresses.

@cmeerw said:

@tentor said: Seems like they only remember the last IP address connected to their servers, which was IPv6 one.

That's very interesting, didn't think they accepted IPv6 addresses there. That's for the DA licence check, the others insist on IPv4 addresses.

The funniest part is that the request was done from an IPv6 address which is not visible to an end-user (i.e. they could not obtain it from neither A/AAAA or TXT aka SPF records). But this is my case, probably such setup is not that common if DA team haven't considered that.

Thanked by 1cmeerw
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@cmeerw said:
    What could be the reason that these licence checks don't find a licence or just show "trial" or "free" licences? Should you worry in these cases?

Anytime a server has more than one IP..

Web server with multiple addresses. Server can do a license check with a different IP than you are checking.

Somekind of proxy in front of the server..

There are a few reasons.. Why do you ask?

• JosephFJosephF Member

Does cPanel have this?

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider

@JosephF said:
    Does cPanel have this?

https://verify.cpanel.net

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Uh I don't think it's reliable.

Addon ips/extra ips won't validate this check.

• cmeerwcmeerw Member

@kevinds said: Anytime a server has more than one IP..

But once you have access to the server (because you have bought a web hosting plan on that server), you'll be able to see what other IP addresses are configured on that server, so you can then check all of these IP addresses.

Those can explain the case where the licence check doesn't show anything that is licensed, but it wouldn't explain where the check shows a "trial" or "free" licence when the hoster offers the full version?

There are a few reasons.. Why do you ask?

I want to make sure that a web hoster has properly licensed everything they are offering.

@cmeerw said:

Those can explain the case where the licence check doesn't show anything that is licensed, but it wouldn't explain where the check shows a "trial" or "free" licence when the hoster offers the full version?

I want to make sure that a web hoster has properly licensed everything they are offering.

If the vendor has an agreement with the software company they may have all of their IPs set to free/trial and when they activate a host for a customer, they can 'turn on' the full license.

• JustHostJustHost Member, Patron Provider

There is also the case some show incorrect info at times such as WHMCS many times it shows invalid but later proved the person has a licence, its valid but the checker is wrong.

• cmeerwcmeerw Member

@kevinds said:

@cmeerw said:

If the vendor has an agreement with the software company they may have all of their IPs set to free/trial and when they activate a host for a customer, they can 'turn on' the full license.

Not sure we are talking about the same thing... I am talking about a web hoster offering shared hosting packages on a particular machine where the licence check for JetBackup shows "trial" for that IP address and Softaculous shows "free", but the full versions of both are available in the panel for the user to use.

• JustHostJustHost Member, Patron Provider

@cmeerw said:

@kevinds said:

@cmeerw said:

Not sure we are talking about the same thing... I am talking about a web hoster offering shared hosting packages on a particular machine where the licence check for JetBackup shows "trial" for that IP address and Softaculous shows "free", but the full versions of both are available in the panel for the user to use.

That will mean

1 - they have the free version

Or

2 - did have the upgraded/pro trial

Or

3 - Are using shared licence systems (nulled/cracked) but for marketing they label them shared

@cmeerw said:

Thank you, that was the missing piece.

Don't all IPs show free for Softaculous until licensed (from memory)? If the server has multiple IPs, one will show licensed, the rest will show as free.

The JetBackup showing trial, seems odd and is a red-flag, but it can happen for some legitimate reasons.. Ask the host would be my suggestion.

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@tentor said:

@cmeerw said: Seems like most web hosting panels and plugins have online licence check tools, e.g. https://license.directadmin.com/

I have a licensed DirectAdmin host, however for some reason the check is failed on this portal. Got an update just today, so it is quite interesting to what degree this is actually reliable :D

UPD. Seems like they only remember the last IP address connected to their servers, which was IPv6 one. License check is passed for it.

Guess I'm using nulled... lol.

https://i.ibb.co/fn4bMQM/image-2024-03-03-113915641.png

@Andreix said:

@tentor said:

Guess I'm using nulled... lol.

https://i.ibb.co/fn4bMQM/image-2024-03-03-113915641.png

The fastest way to check what IP is stored at DA database is to login to your client portal and see what session they see on their end.

@tentor said:
    The fastest way to check what IP is stored at DA database is to login to your client portal and see what session they see on their end.

I guess they switched to key-based licensing. I can't see any IP showing in my DA portal.

@Andreix said:

@tentor said:

I guess they switched to key-based licensing. I can't see any IP showing in my DA portal.

@Andreix said:

@tentor said:

Your license is assigned to LayerBridge SRL, provider license.

License info is only visible on Global ip fyi.

Thanked by 1Andreix

Damn... I ruled out the possibility that they'd prefer IPv6.

@FatGrizzly said: License info is only visible on Global ip fyi.

No, this is not a case for me:

However at directadmin client portal it is 2a09:b280:fe00:ffff::15

@tentor said:

@FatGrizzly said: License info is only visible on Global ip fyi.

No, this is not a case for me:

However at directadmin client portal it is 2a09:b280:fe00:ffff::15

Ah.

Fuck DA's licensing system then.

edited March 3

@FatGrizzly said: Fuck DA's licensing system then.

I think almost any license check behaves similarly - basically what they do is HTTPS request without binding to any local IP address, so on dualstack systems consequent checks may have different IP addresses (this happened to us with both WHMCS and VirtFusion, however is fixed after reaching out their technical support). Moreover, in case when IPv6 prefix is routed using additional IPv6 address, the situation I mentioned above occurs - IPv6 address that is used for user/client facing things is different from an IPv6 address used to make outgoing connections.

Not a big issue but makes almost all license checks not verifiable by external parties.

@Andreix said:
    Damn... I ruled out the possibility that they'd prefer IPv6.

Actually the one who prefers IPv6 is your system. See /etc/gai.conf for more info.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • @cmeerw said:
    Seems like most web hosting panels and plugins have online licence check tools, e.g. https://license.directadmin.com/ https://billing.jetapps.com/verify.php https://www.softaculous.com/verify/ or https://cln.cloudlinux.com/console/check-license

When you buy a web hosting package that is using these panels/plugins, would you expect the results from these licence checks to match what the web hoster offers? What could be the reason that these licence checks don't find a licence or just show "trial" or "free" licences? Should you worry in these cases?

I think it's better to ask them before you sign up for a service. Many hosts mention clearly that they will offer unlicensed control panel or operating system to their customers.

• cmeerwcmeerw Member

@rahulbose98 said: Many hosts mention clearly that they will offer unlicensed control panel or operating system to their customers.

Really? Here on LET? Shouldn't those be banned?

edited March 4

@cmeerw said:

Why? I've seen this too.. Along the lines of 'the install template is offered but you need to provide your own license'.

• cmeerwcmeerw Member

@kevinds said:

@cmeerw said:

Why? I've seen this too.. Along the lines of 'the install template is offered but you need to provide your own license'.

Right. Yes... but offering CloudLinux based shared web hosting would still seem a bit strange when each customer has to bring their own CloudLinux licence...