Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100+ Additional 10G Servers been Racked. Need your help!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100+ Additional 10G Servers been Racked. Need your help!

HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
edited March 2 in General

We have just racked 100+ Dual 2690v3 and Dual E5-2680v4 servers with 10G Uplinks
Those are barebones with 0G RAM and no Disk. We want to sell them fully configurable and looking to stock up equipment (HDDs, SSDs, RAM, etc etc) to deliver them fully customized.

Unlike most our servers we sold at fixed specs, this will be fully customizable.

Some customers are already intersted in total comulated 55 servers. So some are gone and we are going to rack even more. Also C7000 Gen9/10 blades are planned later on (XEON Silver, Gold,etc)

In future all servers will be customizable. And i am trying to get a idea of what Specs would be interesting in the market, so i can stock up enough HDDs, SSDs etc to deliver within few hours of order ASAP.

The Servers are all
HP DL360 Gen9
Dual E5-2690v3 and Dual e5-2680v4
Possible are up to 24x DDR4 RAM DIMMs.
SSD and HDD following comibnations;
P440ar Hardware RAID Controllers with 2GB Cache module

up to 4x 3,5" HDD (size of HD dont matter. Can be any)
Plus
up to 2x 2,5" SSD (Size of SSD Not Matter. Can be any)

Or
Up to 4x SSD (Size of SSD Not Matter. Can be any.)
Or
4x HDD (Size of HDD Not Matter. Can be any)

connected via SFP+ 10G. Up to 10Gbit unmetered possible per server.

Which configuration would you configure and buy?

As said i am just trying to get a idea of what RAM and HDD configs people would be interested so i can stock up enough equipment in the Datacenter to deliver. This is not about the price or anything else. Please not de-rail thread :smile:

Any tips appreciated.

Thanked by 2JasonM Ganonk

Comments

• thanethane Member

256gb ddr
    2x1.6tb nvme

Thanked by 1HostSlick
  • remyremy Member
    edited March 2

You should have backup-oriented servers and application oriented servers.
    In my opinion, a balanced configuration with this type of processor would be

Application oriented:
    128Gb RAM
    Mix: 2x1TB 2x2TB SSD

Backup oriented:
    32Gb RAM
    Mix: 2x4Tb 2x8Tb (Or with 4 disks depending on the price difference, I prefer RAID 10)

But... these processors are too powerful for backup.
    Let's just say I think you should have some in your range.

And I'd already noticed that you only offer SSD servers, which is still a bit expensive for backup.
    After that, I don't know your customers. But even in the professional world, if I use SSD servers for storage, it's because I have no other choice and there's a performance constraint.

Maybe things will change in the years to come. But for the time being, I still find the price difference significant.

Thanked by 2HostSlick lanefu
  • zakkuunozakkuuno Member

I think you should at least make full use of the cpu's memory channels, so at least 8 dimms for each node ~ 128gb. But I mean if I want a server with 128gb ram I'd probably go with a ryzen. It's both cheaper and faster. 256gb should be made common on those servers.
    For drives I'd consider at least 4 drives for sata ssd, and 2 drives for nvme ssd, since running raid1 with only 2 sata ssds is too slow these days. Those servers probably won't be for storage anyways, but people might want 2 hdds on the node for backup as remy said.
    Redundant PSU is a decent plus on those hardware.

Thanked by 2HostSlick OhJohn
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for all your thoughts so far :)
    Really useful on what configuration Options to offer on these!

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Are we talking dedis or VDS/VPS?

@jsg said:

Dedicated Servers - Bare Metal

Thanked by 1jsg
  • xvpsxvps Member

All your current dedicated server offers are with 64GB RAM and 1TB disk as maximum.

Why not make configurations with more resources?

128GB/256GB RAM + 2 x 3.84GB/7.68GB SSD/NVMe.

And storage configurations with big disks.

64GB/128GB RAM + 2 x 512GB SSD/NVMe + 4 x 16TB HDD.

Similar configurations seem very popular with other providers.

Thanked by 1HostSlick
  • CrabCrab Member

4x16TB with an SSD OS boot drive would be a good starting point.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@HostSlick said:

@jsg said:

Then I stay away because while everyone (incl. myself) has a personal view I don't see how any of us, except maybe major potential customers, could offer advice of value.
    I'll keep it at stating that I think that you already got the promising basic line, modularity and flexibility. If there is anything to focus on then it is (IMO) how to handle that software-wise.

Anyway, kudos for your idea/approach.

• Would like to have some big-storage server. 2*16TB + NVMe boot drive something like that. :)

• adnsadns Member

I think the price will not be from the low-end range, but a 64 GB RAM and 2x1.92 TB DC NVMe might be enough for homelab or testing. For example to test real environments in virtualized way.

• @jsg said:

@HostSlick said:

@jsg said:

Then I stay away because while everyone (incl. myself) has a personal view I don't see how any of us, except maybe major potential customers, could offer advice of value.
    I'll keep it at stating that I think that you already got the promising basic line, modularity and flexibility. If there is anything to focus on then it is (IMO) how to handle that software-wise.

Anyway, kudos for your idea/approach.

Agree. Love such threads. This seems to be targeted towards resellers

@adns said: but a 64 GB RAM and 2x1.92 TB DC NVMe might be enough for homelab or testing

Probably best to get a VPS for this

• NathanCore4NathanCore4 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 4

@HostSlick Once you figure out what specs you need, let me know and I'd be happy to supply the hardware components (HDDs, SSDs, RAM, etc.)

edited March 5

@remy said:
    You should have backup-oriented servers and application oriented servers.
    In my opinion, a balanced configuration with this type of processor would be

Application oriented:
    128Gb RAM
    Mix: 2x1TB 2x2TB SSD

Backup oriented:
    32Gb RAM
    Mix: 2x4Tb 2x8Tb (Or with 4 disks depending on the price difference, I prefer RAID 10)

But... these processors are too powerful for backup.
    Let's just say I think you should have some in your range.

And I'd already noticed that you only offer SSD servers, which is still a bit expensive for backup.
    After that, I don't know your customers. But even in the professional world, if I use SSD servers for storage, it's because I have no other choice and there's a performance constraint.

Maybe things will change in the years to come. But for the time being, I still find the price difference significant.

+

@xvps said:
    All your current dedicated server offers are with 64GB RAM and 1TB disk as maximum.

Why not make configurations with more resources?

128GB/256GB RAM + 2 x 3.84GB/7.68GB SSD/NVMe.

And storage configurations with big disks.

64GB/128GB RAM + 2 x 512GB SSD/NVMe + 4 x 16TB HDD.

Similar configurations seem very popular with other providers.

Yes, you both are right. I was thinking to not allow the clients to configure anything bellow 64-128GB RAM..

Those are different from the "fixed" specifications we sold until now. This are fully configurable for the customer. So yep, there will be options to configure whatever 4x HDD and 2x SSD whatever.

This thread i am trying to find out how much of 4, 6, 8... 16... 20TB HDDs, or even 512, 1,2,4 TB SSD to keep in stock. :smile:

I now had numerous people asking about 16TB HDDs, so i am going to stock up some here as well. Stock management. So we can deliver anytime :smile:

The clients will be able to configure up to 1536GB DDR4 RAM in this

Thanked by 1remy
    edited March 5

@thane said:
    256gb ddr
    2x1.6tb nvme

Thanks for your comment and tip!
    NVME will be possible. I am also buying the needed adapters for those servers. :sunglasses:

@zakkuuno said:
    I think you should at least make full use of the cpu's memory channels, so at least 8 dimms for each node ~ 128gb. But I mean if I want a server with 128gb ram I'd probably go with a ryzen. It's both cheaper and faster. 256gb should be made common on those servers.
    For drives I'd consider at least 4 drives for sata ssd, and 2 drives for nvme ssd, since running raid1 with only 2 sata ssds is too slow these days. Those servers probably won't be for storage anyways, but people might want 2 hdds on the node for backup as remy said.
    Redundant PSU is a decent plus on those hardware.

Planning to sell all those out in 2-3 months MAXIMUM. Then again same model, same amount and i think additional 64 HP Gen9/10 Blades which include XEON Gold, Silver etc. (newer xeon) before i will start stocking bulk Ryzen 9 and other hardware. Thats my plan for the next months.

Already having Ryzen 9 5950x with Dynatron Watercooling here for long-term testing. But until then only for selected customers. Most Boards for themare limited it seems, like having 4 RAM seats only which i dont like. And some other things i am finding ways arround and getting familiar with those.

• Perhaps I'm the only one who read the subject as "100+ Additional 10G Servers been Hacked. Need your help!"

Thanked by 1HostSlick

@chihcherng said:
    Perhaps I'm the only one who read the subject as "100+ Additional 10G Servers been Hacked. Need your help!"

Yes Sure.
    It was all @FlorinMarian . He hacked them all lolol

Thanked by 3shruub Calin LTGT

Thanks again for anyone helping! It has really helped a bunch.
    And seems that configs with decent SSD + STorage SAS going hot :smile:

• They're so hot we had to buy four :D

Thanked by 2wamy HostSlick

@mikewazar said:
    They're so hot we had to buy four :D

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited April 15

A quick update on this. Thanks to some tips of the community we where able to get a picture of the market
    and sell some good deals to new customers and exising clients. Thanks!!!
    The bellow 38x are now left only:

Just ordered today some stuff for our stock to sell the last 38 ones on this picture :smile:
    The other servers in other racks are sold already.

196x 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    8x 8GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    40x 3TB SAS
    20x 4TB SAS
    30x 512GB SSD
    30x 1TB SSD
    60x 10TB SAS
    16x 16TB SAS
    120x SFP+ SR Transceivers
    cables and various.

And i think latest end june we will again order 80x of Dual E5v4.
    Will be the last one. Then a batch of 64 HP Gen10 Blades (XEON Silver/Gold/Platinum) and start
    only then when we reached our goals doing Bulk Ryzens with same amounts.

Network is being upgraded with a brand new Core router in Summer !!!!

Thanked by 2host_c shruub
  • That looks clean, would be interesting to see how it will look with cables

Thanked by 1Athorio