Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good music for development
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good music for development

LeviLevi Member

I'am in search for a good, free internet radio (at least 384 kbit/s AAC) with decent playlist. Progressive, new age, deep trance etc. I was long time listener of di.fm.

Comments

• Every piece from Kyle Landry.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Levi said: di.fm

Damn, it's been decades since I last streamed di.fm.

Legend.

Thanked by 2Ght host_c
  • dosaidosai Member

Listen to podcasts.

Thanked by 1LeifurGunnarsson
  • 1nf1nf Member

@dosai said:
    Listen to podcasts.

I've never found myself being able to read and listen at the same time. One starts overwriting the other for me.

Thanked by 1equalz
  • davidedavide Member
    edited March 1

Occasionally when I do some work I need to put up peaceful ASMR otherwise my body temperature rises in frustration: slow internet, crappy general conditions... There is also a lot of noise from the roads in Italy so insulated earphones help with that too. These days I've been shopping for new headphones. I've always used in-ear noise-insulated earphones thru the years, but out of curiosity I'm considering buying closed-back headphones. What would the difference be between the sound of earphones vs headphones, assuming decent quality for both types?

• ChievoChievo Member

Gangsta paradise

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited March 1
    • Pat Metheny if you have high IQ coding you need to do.
    • Enya if you have repetitive pattern-based coding you need to do.
    • Miles Davis if you want to enlarge your brain in general.
    • Taylor Swift if you have a daughter that you want to improve your relationship with.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, you're looking for a free internet radio station! Progressive, new age, deep trance etc.... I should have read the post, not just the thread title! Apologies! I'll leave my original answer up there in case someone wants some other suggestions.

Thanked by 2emgh abtdw
  • saf31saf31 Member

Regularly listen to this while I am working. On spotify though...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWZeKCadgRdKQ?si=50ac429e75494762

• bootboot Member

@Levi said:
    I'am in search for a good, free internet radio (at least 384 kbit/s AAC) with decent playlist. Progressive, new age, deep trance etc. I was long time listener of di.fm.

http://schizoid.in/

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2
    Thanked by 1jlet88
  • I've been looping lately, makes for great background music

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jlet88 said: Miles Davis if you want to enlarge your brain in general.

To take this a step further...if OP is not into jazz, Miles' "Kind of Blue" is the most famous jazz album of all time and is very listenable. Another easily approachable jazz albums are Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" (which contains "Take Five", the most famous jazz single of all time...maybe the only one). A personal favorite is Wynton Kelly's "Kelly Blue". Coltrane's "Blue Train" is another well-known standard.

I confess that after 1970 or so, jazz goes off the deep end for me, but many people disagree.

Of course, there's also classical music. I find Bach's "Brandenburg Concertos" fantastic for deep work (The Acadamy of St. Martin in the. Fields recording is very good). These six piece have a tight clockwork-like precision.

And don't overlook opera...most of it is in Italian or French, which avoids the "listening to the words" problem. Some earlier operas recitative parts which are nearly spoken so you may favorite later composers for focused work. like Verdi or Puccini. A collection of arias is often the gateway drug. Admittedly, it's a core passion of mine but I gather it's not for everyone LOL

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited March 3

Alright, since only a few of posters provided radio stations, I will post what I listen day-to-day and what already is boring for me:

What I'am looking for: to pivot away from Di.FM to something free besides youtube, soundcloud, spotify etc.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 3

@raindog308 said:
    Of course, there's also classical music. I find Bach's "Brandenburg Concertos" fantastic for deep work (The Acadamy of St. Martin in the. Fields recording is very good). These six piece have a tight clockwork-like precision.

Yes! Plus Händel and Haydn. For thinking/designing/implementing solutions for a really difficult problem, nothing beets Toccata and Fugue in D-minor.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @raindog308 said: Of course, there's also classical music. I find Bach's "Brandenburg Concertos" fantastic for deep work (The Acadamy of St. Martin in the. Fields recording is very good). These six piece have a tight clockwork-like precision.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited March 3

@raindog308 said: To take this a step further...

You have good taste, sir!

(Nothing against anyone else's taste, of course! It's subjective.)

@Levi said: What I'am looking for: to pivot away from Di.FM to something free besides youtube, soundcloud, spotify etc.

Wish I could help with finding something closer to what you want, but personally, I think it's worth the money to pay for a subscription to fill-in-your-favorite service. Musicians need money (I'm not talking about the big stars, but I'm referring to the vast majority of musicians who are working class musicians). I know the streaming market and music industry in general are truly f$%k-ed up in terms of dividends and royalties, but at least the legit streaming services are licensing the music. I've got a lot of artist friends and I know they appreciate the legit streaming of their music. Cheers!

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

di.fm is great. But lately I've been using radio101.ru, because it's closer to my location. I mostly listen to Goa psy-trance when I have some annoying work to do. I suppose this is because its rhythm suits me in that regard.