Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asrock b650d4u network crash
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Asrock b650d4u network crash

Has anyone experienced the problem of network card crash on asrock b650d4u?
Maybe someone knows how to avoid it? Already replaced a lot of motherboards on different servers

Comments

• @Dessgun said: Has anyone experienced the problem of network card crash on asrock b650d4u?

What exactly crushing? More details?

• @jenkki said:

@Dessgun said: Has anyone experienced the problem of network card crash on asrock b650d4u?

The network just refuses to work, motherboards just die

• @Dessgun said: The network just refuses to work

How?

• @jenkki said:

@Dessgun said: The network just refuses to work

How?

I don't have the exact details but my supplier just says that the motherboard is faulty, I heard that Hetzner also had a problem with this motherboard but how they solved it I don't know but the problem is definitely with the network adapter.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Any logs?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

We've been noticing something similar as well - networking dies after some weeks and a reboot is needed to get it back up. I don't have the exact error log at hand, though.

• @AlexBarakov said:
    We've been noticing something similar as well - networking dies after some weeks and a reboot is needed to get it back up. I don't have the exact error log at hand, though.

Yes, I have the same thing works for a couple weeks then the network just dies, we restart it works but then after a couple days it shuts down again and won't start up again, no rebooting helps

• @Dessgun said: I don't know but the problem is definitely with the network adapter.

On newer AM5 and LGA1700 motherboards with DDR5, the processor slots are actively burning. In the new models the quality has dropped a lot. It is better to use previous slots versions with DDR4 memory. The differences are small

The kind of thing where old is better than new.

• @jenkki said:

@Dessgun said: I don't know but the problem is definitely with the network adapter.

On newer AM5 and LGA1700 motherboards with DDR5, the processor slots are actively burning. In the new models the quality has dropped a lot. It is better to use previous slots versions with DDR4 memory. The differences are small

The kind of thing where old is better than new.

We don't have CPU problems, we don't even load them at 50%
    It's 100% a network card problem

• @Dessgun said: It's 100% a network card problem

Replace with PCI slot network card. It cost few dollars.

• @jenkki said:

@Dessgun said: It's 100% a network card problem

Replace with PCI slot network card. It cost few dollars.

We did that, it didn't work

• @Dessgun said: We did that, it didn't work

One of the two must be working.

Check the BIOS settings.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@Dessgun said:

@jenkki said:

@Dessgun said: Has anyone experienced the problem of network card crash on asrock b650d4u?

The network just refuses to work, motherboards just die

Same issue on both ports?

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited February 29

If you have some Antivirus with Firewall installed try to remove this app and try again.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited February 29

@Shakib said: Same issue on both ports?

That very strange issue. They may have troubles outside hardware.

• Asrock... it's Hetzner-grade quality. Hit it with a sledgehammer, it will help.

But if the PCI network card also fails, maybe the problem is elsewhere.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • edited February 29

Maybe contact asrock rack support if you are unable to find a solution to this issue. Their support is supposed to be insanely good.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Dessgun said:
    Has anyone experienced the problem of network card crash on asrock b650d4u?
    Maybe someone knows how to avoid it? Already replaced a lot of motherboards on different servers

Make sure the NIC isn't overheating.

• We have seen the NIC suddenly disconnect from the PCI bus.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Surprisingly I've never experienced this with any of the old X470/X570 boards. Radic is right, there've been rare problems with nic temps causing loss. Just toss in a PCIe network card and test with that if possible.

• fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider

Asrock b650d4u needs good airflow over the NIC heatsink. Otherwise, it will overheat and turn off.

Asrock's support is also super responsive. If that doesn't solve your issue, try opening a ticket with them or email.

• DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 1

@fiberstate said:
    Asrock b650d4u needs good airflow over the NIC heatsink. Otherwise, it will overheat and turn off.

Asrock's support is also super responsive. If that doesn't solve your issue, try opening a ticket with them or email.

Does ASRR support specifically acknowledge that this is what causes the issue? We haven't seen it on any of our Ryzen 7000 builds, but we have overkill cooling on them.

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a fix for the random NVMe dropouts on the X470D4U -_-

• interservermikeinterservermike Member, Patron Provider

Update bios to latest.

Thanked by 1lowendtalkxdax
  • jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

BIOS doesnt fix it, BMC controls the fans, which has a bug in version 2.08 and causes fans to slow down quite a lot, ending up in heat accumulation. Fix for us was to update to BMC version 3.10 and the issue was gone, before processor went to 90°C - you'd burn your fingers on the 2U chassis - even in idle with proper cooler.

• davidedavide Member
    edited March 14

@jh_aurologic that's interesting. I have all the fans powered directly by the PSU's 12V, bypassing the motherboard. This opens the compatibility to cheaper fans for switchboards without PWM.

• HybulaHybula Member, Patron Provider

@jh_aurologic said:
    BIOS doesnt fix it, BMC controls the fans, which has a bug in version 2.08 and causes fans to slow down quite a lot, ending up in heat accumulation. Fix for us was to update to BMC version 3.10 and the issue was gone, before processor went to 90°C - you'd burn your fingers on the 2U chassis - even in idle with proper cooler.

This is true and fixed overheating here as well.

@davide said:
    @jh_aurologic that's interesting. I have all the fans powered directly by the PSU's 12V, bypassing the motherboard. This opens the compatibility to cheaper fans for switchboards without PWM.

For one server sure, but once you scale this has quite some effect on your power bill. Especially in the Netherlands where power is already way too expensive.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Try:

Disable Bonding of IPMI on all ports from bios or IPMI portal. Force IPMI to use its dedicated port. Disable IPMI on eth1 too

The ipmi bonding on these things causes strange issues.

Each time you make one of these setting changes it will reboot the IPMI so just wait. I also recommend you have no other cables plugging except the dedicated IPMI port.

• davidedavide Member

@Hybula said:
    For one server sure, but once you scale this has quite some effect on your power bill. Especially in the Netherlands where power is already way too expensive.

Definitely, saving on cheaper fans doesn't make sense in Europe anymore. But when electricity retailed for 20¢/ĸWh, the breakeven point would have been ~3 years assuming 1 watt per fan is saved by PWM.

• HybulaHybula Member, Patron Provider

@oplink said:
    Try:

Disable Bonding of IPMI on all ports from bios or IPMI portal. Force IPMI to use its dedicated port. Disable IPMI on eth1 too

The ipmi bonding on these things causes strange issues.

Each time you make one of these setting changes it will reboot the IPMI so just wait. I also recommend you have no other cables plugging except the dedicated IPMI port.

This might be a good fix, any specific steps to follow for the B650D4U?

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 14

@Hybula said: This might be a good fix, any specific steps to follow for the B650D4U?

IPMI method:

Disable Bond:
    Login to your IPMI
    Goto Settings >> Network Settings >> Network Bond Config >> (disable it) >> click SAVE
    Wait for ipmi/network to reboot

Shutoff ETH1 for IPMI:
    Goto Settings >> Network Settings >> Network IP Settings >> Select eth1 From LAN interface & (disable it) >> click SAVE
    Wait for ipmi/network to reboot

Thanked by 1Hybula