Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ā€ŗ Youtube's new layout is awful...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Youtube's new layout is awful...

What do you think of this design? For me, it's disastrous.

The comments now on the right side are something disastrous

Thanked by 1host_c

Comments

• Itā€™s so stupid to use layout for mobile devices on desktop.

• With every YouTube site change it's going to be one of those things where ppl will make a fuss over it and then slowly get used to it, before a new one comes out and the cycle repeats

• The people who complain the most are the people who never buy Premium and use adblock, trust me bro google doesn't want your business

Thanked by 1jh
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

The new design isn't live (yet) for me, I'm not seeing it on my end.

But I mean, it's pretty much the same design they already are using. Just the video description and comments have swapped places with the recommended videos.

In any case, I usually picture-in-picture YouTube videos and put a video window somewhere that is taking up less than a quarter of a monitor and that's how I use the site. (So a redesign doesn't really bother me anyway, I'm not going to be looking at it)

• @johndeo983 said:
    The people who complain the most are the people who never buy Premium and use adblock, trust me bro google doesn't want your business

I am neither of those, I use Newpipe and think the layout is ugly. Also, paying a company who lets scam ads and sex bots just chill on their site whilst taking every video with 0.13 seconds of copytighted stuff down doesnt feel right.

• edited February 27

@shruub said:

@johndeo983 said:
    The people who complain the most are the people who never buy Premium and use adblock, trust me bro google doesn't want your business

I am neither of those, I use Newpipe and think the layout is ugly. Also, paying a company who lets scam ads and sex bots just chill on their site whilst taking every video with 0.13 seconds of copytighted stuff down doesnt feel right.

Agreed. YT is kind of replaceable anyways. When they will finally lock me out it won't do much to me. YT hasn't really been user friendly like in ages and there simply isn't that much stuff on there that i couldn't either watch elsewhere or simply do without. YT is like most iconic places of the internet: Way past it's prime.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • davidedavide Member
    edited February 27

I don't see much difference with the old design that I'm getting still. I mean, there is a video, a side bar and a bottom carousel with some more garbage. Sorta. Anyway for youtube I use a phone app that removes ads, they are too pervasive otherwise.

@johndeo983 said:

They do want dogs and cucks. It's the price of being the only one :o

• xaocxaoc Member

@totally_not_banned said:

@shruub said:

@johndeo983 said:

Agreed. YT is kind of replaceable anyways. When they will finally lock me out it won't do much to me. YT hasn't really been user friendly like in ages and there simply isn't that much stuff on there that i couldn't either watch elsewhere or simply do without. YT is like most iconic places of the internet: Way past it's prime.

šŸ«µšŸ˜‚

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@shruub said: sex bots just chill

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

My main YT irritations since no one asked:

• the end cards (related vids) that obscure the last 15 seconds of a video. i wish there was a way to disable those. I mean, you don't get them with yt-dlp, but if I'm screencasting to the TV to show something to the fam, they are irritating

• the way random videos get stuck downloading on YT Premium and sit there, never downloading, but if I remove them from a playlist and then add them, they download. I hate the micro-managing.

• if I add someone else's playlist to my library I'd like to be able to rename it.

• I would also like folders for playlists but that's probably because I have way too many of them.

I realize some people in the world don't have enough to eat, but these are very serious problems that should be immediately addressed.

• @xaoc said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@shruub said:

@johndeo983 said:

šŸ«µšŸ˜‚

Translation for normal people: "I prefer Tiktok"?

• proofofsteakproofofsteak Member
    edited February 28

@raindog308 said:
    My main YT irritations since no one asked:

• the end cards (related vids) that obscure the last 15 seconds of a video. i wish there was a way to disable those. I mean, you don't get them with yt-dlp, but if I'm screencasting to the TV to show something to the fam, they are irritating

• the way random videos get stuck downloading on YT Premium and sit there, never downloading, but if I remove them from a playlist and then add them, they download. I hate the micro-managing.

• if I add someone else's playlist to my library I'd like to be able to rename it.

• I would also like folders for playlists but that's probably because I have way too many of them.

Good points, 1,3,4 are all things that have bothered me at some point.

In addition to folders for playlists, I'd also like a way to group channels I'm subscribed to.

So I could have a folder with Tech Channels, a folder with Sports Channels, etc

Regarding the new layout, as another user said above, it's something I'll get used to over time.

I'm sure YT have their reasons for making the change, having comments higher up the page probably drives "user engagement" (i.e. commenting), not to mention this layout of having a video screen with comment section on the side is something Gen Z are already accustomed to with the likes of Twitch, YT Live Stream, etc

• bootboot Member

Weird. I asked God, she said she loves it.

• davidedavide Member
    edited February 28

@boot said:
    Weird. I asked God, she said she loves it.

It's logical, (almost) any query to God returns love:

love_t God() {
        if (entity == "sillycat")
            throw std::domain_error("not in the domain of God");

return love_t(true);
    }

• @raindog308 said:

Oh man that's terrible! Please PM me a link, so I can report it! /s

On a serious note though, h o w. I mean okay, I might understand that they cant really do much against the comment bots without hurting users. But this kinda content? God damn.

• edited February 28

@shruub said:

@raindog308 said:

Oh man that's terrible! Please PM me a link, so I can report it! /s

On a serious note though, h o w. I mean okay, I might understand that they cant really do much against the comment bots without hurting users. But this kinda content? God damn.

Huh? Do you maybe think stuff like this isn't really appropriate for YT?

Well, at least YT doesn't seem to think anymore that this garbage is actually family friendly...

Thanked by 1shruub
  • Seems like things have reverted to the old layout again, at least for me.

• if you want the "old" UI back, you need to install Tampermonkey and then install this Plugin on greasy Fork : pre-2024-youtube-ui

Plugin made by: KartongFace

• @sucre13 said:
    if you want the "old" UI back, you need to install Tampermonkey and then install this Plugin on greasy Fork : pre-2024-youtube-ui

Plugin made by: KartongFace

Yeah, like with pretty much any YT UI update there'll be some knobs to revert it. Until YT deems it ready for the masses and removes said knobs that is.