Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for MacOS based servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for MacOS based servers

Hi y'all,

As the title says, I'm looking for MacOS based servers. It can be any type of server as long as it runs on MacOS and I can install Steam games on it and download mods from sites. Why, you may ask? Just for fun and testing compatibility for mods.

My main billing requirement would be 1€ or less hourly, or the cheapest it can be monthly. I'm not looking for hosts which requires any type of ID identification. I wanted to give Scaleway a try but after I deployed a service they sent me an email asking for ID verification and locked my account, including the service, so now that service is running for 24 hours until my account gets deleted.

Comments

• Buy a used Mac?

• @kvz12 said:
    Buy a used Mac?

Too expensive, and I don't plan to use it for a long period of time.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 26

can't any Proxmox host do that for you? Just rent a server and run it as KVM VM?

I'm biased tho, i want to sell you a MD dedi :D

• @PulsedMedia said:
    can't any Proxmox host do that for you? Just rent a server and run it as KVM VM?

Run macos? Is there something I'm missing?:D

• @dyren said:

@PulsedMedia said:

https://github.com/sickcodes/Docker-OSX

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Macos can run in proxmox. However GPU passthrough can be tricky especially if not using a dedicated GPU.

https://github.com/luchina-gabriel/OSX-PROXMOX

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @johndeo983 said:

@dyren said:

@PulsedMedia said:

Hm, I didn't know stuff like this exists, I'll check it out.

• @johndeo983 said:

@dyren said:

@PulsedMedia said:

Too messy to install, and I don't have the experience/time to mess around with it.

• Thanked by 1alexhost
  • you're not ever going to find it. Apple prohibits anything under a day.

Thanked by 1Peppery9
  • sh97sh97 Member

Not sure if it's within your budget but check Greencloud's Mac offerings

https://cloudxmac.com/

• @fluffernutter said:

you're not ever going to find it. Apple prohibits anything under a day.

If there are hosts with daily billing it would work for me, as long as it doesn't cost a horrendous amount of money.

@sh97 said:
    Not sure if it's within your budget but check Greencloud's Mac offerings

https://cloudxmac.com/

Cheapest so far, will consider it if there are no other options.

• SolidSeoVPSSolidSeoVPS Member, Patron Provider

@dyren

If you are looking for MacOS VPS, take a look here

https://www.solidseovps.com/macosx-vps.php

• plumbergplumberg Veteran
    edited February 27

Macincloud.com +1 used it multiple times. But not sure on Id requirements.

I used their prepaid credit option and worked wonders for xcode development

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@fluffernutter said: Apple prohibits anything under a day.

Do you have a citation for that?

• @raindog308 said:

1. Leasing for Permitted Developer Services.
      A. Leasing. You may lease or sublease a validly licensed version of the Apple Software in its entirety to
      an individual or organization (each, a “Lessee”) provided that all of the following conditions are met:
      (i) the leased Apple Software must be used for the sole purpose of providing Permitted
      Developer Services and each Lessee must review and agree to be bound by the terms of this
      License;
      (ii) each lease period must be for a minimum period of twenty-four (24) consecutive hours;
      (iii) during the lease period, the End User Lessee must have sole and exclusive use and control
      of the Apple Software and the Apple-branded hardware on which it is installed, except that you,
      as the party leasing the Apple Software (“Lessor”), may provide administrative support for the
      Apple Software; and
      (iv) prior to using the Apple Software, the End User Lessee must review and agree to be bound
      by the terms applicable to any software preinstalled on the Apple Software, including, but not
      limited to Apple’s Xcode developer software and any other Apple or third-party software.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOSSonoma.pdf

it's in their TOS.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • alexhostalexhost Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 28

Hello.

We have that currently available, check that here:
    https://alexhost.com/dedicated-servers/apple-m1-dedicated-servers/

Anything just open a ticket support and we will be glad to help you. :)

Alexhost

• @fluffernutter said:

@raindog308 said:

A. Leasing. You may lease or sublease a validly licensed version of the Apple Software in its entirety to
      an individual or organization (each, a “Lessee”) provided that all of the following conditions are met:
      (i) the leased Apple Software must be used for the sole purpose of providing Permitted
      Developer Services and each Lessee must review and agree to be bound by the terms of this
      License;
      (ii) each lease period must be for a minimum period of twenty-four (24) consecutive hours;
      (iii) during the lease period, the End User Lessee must have sole and exclusive use and control
      of the Apple Software and the Apple-branded hardware on which it is installed, except that you,
      as the party leasing the Apple Software (“Lessor”), may provide administrative support for the
      Apple Software; and
      (iv) prior to using the Apple Software, the End User Lessee must review and agree to be bound
      by the terms applicable to any software preinstalled on the Apple Software, including, but not
      limited to Apple’s Xcode developer software and any other Apple or third-party software.

it's in their TOS.

I don't think this is really true or enforced for a lot of use cases. Github Actions has MacOS runners, which are entirely ephemeral and thus would technically violate the ToS.

• dyrendyren Member
    edited February 28

@alexhost said:
    Hello.

We have that currently available, check that here:
    https://alexhost.com/dedicated-servers/apple-m1-dedicated-servers/

Anything just open a ticket support and we will be glad to help you. :)

Alexhost

Looking for hourly billing only (or anything that isnt a full month, daily for eg.).

\

I'm not looking for hosts which requires any type of ID identification. I wanted to give Scaleway a try but after I deployed a service they sent me an email asking for ID verification and locked my account, including the service, so now that service is running for 24 hours until my account gets deleted.

• Scaleway are probably your best bet despite not offering hourly. As pointed out above, you're unlikely to find a sustainable service that's against the Apple TOS. They've offered Apple since 2022, I think. Their minimum is twenty four hours.

Only other provider I can think of is Macincloud. Pretty sure they have a twenty four minimum too and charge at least $1 per hour.

Considering monthly prices for a Mac VPS start at about $25, can't really see how the hourly billing even saves much over time unless you're using it for less than twenty five hours a month.

Also, I don't think many providers can justify hourly billing no minimum period without applying set up costs. Dedicated Apple servers hint at this already if you look around.

• @ehhthing said:

@fluffernutter said:

@raindog308 said:

License;
      Apple Software; and

it's in their TOS.

I don't think this is really true or enforced for a lot of use cases. Github Actions has MacOS runners, which are entirely ephemeral and thus would technically violate the ToS.

But are these runners licensed to the end user or GitHub Actions?

• edited February 28

Install macOS on an old laptop or smth via Proxmox. The easiest thing. There are hundreds of guides out there including iGPU passthrough. Can turn off/on laptop using WOL if you live in a country with high electricity price.

Have mine running on a i5-6500 Fujitsu SFF PC I have bought for under 50€.

Alternatively buy a VPS and do the same. Choose something with more then 8GB and you are good to go.

• @lowendtalkxdax said:
    Install macOS on an old laptop or smth via Proxmox. The easiest thing. There are hundreds of guides out there including iGPU passthrough. Can turn off/on laptop using WOL if you live in a country with high electricity price.

Have mine running on a i5-6500 Fujitsu SFF PC I have bought for under 50€.

Not an option.

• @techdragon said:
    Scaleway are probably your best bet despite not offering hourly. As pointed out above, you're unlikely to find a sustainable service that's against the Apple TOS. They've offered Apple since 2022, I think. Their minimum is twenty four hours.

Only other provider I can think of is Macincloud. Pretty sure they have a twenty four minimum too and charge at least $1 per hour.

Considering monthly prices for a Mac VPS start at about $25, can't really see how the hourly billing even saves much over time unless you're using it for less than twenty five hours a month.

Also, I don't think many providers can justify hourly billing no minimum period without applying set up costs. Dedicated Apple servers hint at this already if you look around.

As I said, i wont use scaleway because of their ID verification system. Macincloud is expensive.

• @dyren said:

@techdragon said:
    Scaleway are probably your best bet despite not offering hourly. As pointed out above, you're unlikely to find a sustainable service that's against the Apple TOS. They've offered Apple since 2022, I think. Their minimum is twenty four hours.

As I said, i wont use scaleway because of their ID verification system. Macincloud is expensive.

What's your budget?

• @techdragon said:

@dyren said:

@techdragon said:

What's your budget?

for hourly its 0.40$/h max, for monthly its 30$ max.