Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual Machine stuck in startup, on my KVM VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtual Machine stuck in startup, on my KVM VPS

Hello, I have KVM VPS (4GB RAM), and I'm trying to install another Linux Distro into Virtual Machine.
I use Virt-Manager to create the VM, everything works well at the beginning but wither every ISO I tried I'm stuck in certain stage Screenshot CorePlus-current.iso ..... archlinux.iso

I really don't know what happened, but I think it stopped in HDD detecting stage, BTW KVM virtualization enabled on my VPS, and here is my full command

qemu-kvm -m 2G -cpu host -boot order=d -drive file=cd.iso,media=cdrom -drive file=disk.img,format=raw,if=virtio -vnc :0

Comments

• tmntwitwtmntwitw Member
    edited February 25

What was the method used to create the "disk.img" HDD image file? You can try using this command to display more info of the HDD image file:

qemu-img info disk.img

You can also try booting with only the cdrom iso image (without HDD). If it still gets stuck, maybe it's something else that's causing the issue.

• why not also use virt-manager or virsh to boot the VM? your qemu-kvm is missing -enable-kvm argument

• JustPfffJustPfff Member
    edited February 26

@tmntwitw said: qemu-img info disk.img

image: debian-6.img
    file format: raw
    virtual size: 16 GiB (17179869184 bytes)
    disk size: 4 KiB
    Child node '/file':
    filename: debian-6.img
    protocol type: file
    file length: 16 GiB (17179869184 bytes)
    disk size: 4 KiB

@tmntwitw said: try booting with only the cdrom iso image (without HDD). If it still gets stuck,

I did and it stuck too

@lowenduser1 said: why not also use virt-manager or virsh to boot the VM? your qemu-kvm is missing -enable-kvm argument

I run both, and it stuck too in the same step.

• Can try without vnc display attached.

qemu-kvm -m 2G -cpu host -boot order=d -drive file=cd.iso,media=cdrom -drive file=disk.img,format=raw,if=virtio -nographic

This will disable the guest graphics output. To exit qemu press Ctrl+A X in the same terminal.

Also what qemu version are you using?

• @rattlecattle said: qemu version

QEMU emulator version 8.0.0

@rattlecattle said: This will disable the guest graphics output.

How could I interact with the system I'm running?
    My VPS didn't have GUI, I can only run GUI apps with x-forward, that how I was able to run virt-manager

• @JustPfff said: How could I interact with the system I'm running?

The -nographic option would disable the graphic output. Instead you would get a serial console to interact with the system. This would be enough if you are don't need the guest display GUI and only interacting it remotely over SSH.

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • @rattlecattle said: The -nographic option would disable the graphic output. Instead you would get a serial console to interact with the system.

Thanks it works well, but same thing happened it stuck before finish starting loading setup.

• so if I have this right you are trying to boot a virtual machine in a virtual machine? Does the host allow it ?

If you try to boot the qemu image on a local machine does it boot ?

• rattlecattlerattlecattle Member
    edited February 26

@JustPfff said:

@rattlecattle said: The -nographic option would disable the graphic output. Instead you would get a serial console to interact with the system.

Thanks it works well, but same thing happened it stuck before finish starting loading setup.

Hmm. Can try without KVM. I think the command line flag is -accel tcg. Also omit -cpu host

This disables KVM acceleration. Worth a shot if the issue is due to nested virtualization.