Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Out of curiosity: Does anyone actually read the release notes when updating?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Out of curiosity: Does anyone actually read the release notes when updating?

Do you read the release notes, or even look at what packages would be updated?

Or just blindly hit "Y"? Or just enable unattended upgrades?

Do you read the release notes?
  1. Choose the most suitable option88 votes
    1. No, using unattended upgrades
      13.64%
    2. No, but would still read what will be updated
        6.82%
    3. No, blindly accepts everything
      14.77%
    4. Yes, *Sometimes*
      40.91%
    5. Yes, Always
      23.86%

Comments

• kaitkait Member

Depends on the service and their history.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited February 22

sudo apt full-upgrade -y -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confnew
    YOLO

Thanked by 2shruub WebProject
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

-y for yolo

Thanked by 3lnx shruub sasslik
  • bootboot Member

Poll is broken

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

What? You say something... Next.

• davidedavide Member
    edited February 22

On the phone, I don't even know what android version I have, does it matter? I let my phone handle lose my data whenever it feels like. Having control over it is a lost cause, it's an NSA portable roving bug. Beautiful Orwellian gadged. Only useful for youtube lullabies when I try to sleep, and I don't give an absolute fuck about it. I even block all incoming calls and messages by default. IMHO phones are billions dollars R&D dementia projects, so much talent wasted designing garbage. Garbage apps, garbage OS, unpredictable, unreliable. But it's mandatory to have one for government services. So yes I let it update whenever it likes to, I don't read notifications. Yet I'm sorry for my aunt, she sent me a Merry Christmas on Christmas and I spotted the notification in mid January. Pro tip: send me an email next time, I'll read it on a 30 inch monitor and reply in 5 minutes.

But on computers, I still have KDE 3 from 2005, a maintained fork called TDE. I mind very much about crap software sneaking in there. And fuck Chromium.

Edit: I'll take a pic of my old phone tomorrow. It's a striking piece of garbage with a random battery hot-glued to its back, the usb port ripped off, and a custom battery charger also glued to it. A monstrous emblem of how much I care. Sorry Big Brother for not fitting in :'(

• Major updates: Always
    Minor updates: Always
    Patches: Most likely, especially if directly affected by a related bug.
    Security Patches: Sometimes

• davidedavide Member
    edited February 23

Here's my precious!! I care so much about apps' release notes!!

• Release notes? uhhhhh yesnt

• deqideqi Member

wait. what are those "Updates" you're talking about?

• xNEOxNEO Member

No, life is short...

Thanked by 1emgh
  • The last time Archlinux broke my old Macbook wasn't the most fun experience.

• If you are working at a company, you should. But for your personal projects, it doesn't seem like a compulsion although such a habit would probably help you in the long run

• Doesn't this assume that all individuals with the ability to update systems actually understand what they're doing?

• @techdragon said:
    Doesn't this assume that all individuals with the ability to update systems actually understand what they're doing?

I assume the people here does.