Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's Talk About BGP!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Let's Talk About BGP!

MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

Before I get into it, I ask that you please keep this conversation on topic.

We're having internal discussions about how to best implement BGP sessions and wanted to get some feedback on why one option is better than the other.

Option 1: BGP session directly from the customer's server, all announcements performed by the customer. ASN validation performed manually, no IP spoofing allowed.

Option 2: All announcements for IPs and ASNs performed on our router and announced IPs routed to customer servers. No IP spoofing allowed.

My opinion:
Option 1 upfront sounds like the more flexible approach from the customer's point of view, but routing announced IPs to servers will be a complex task.

Option 2 is what I'm leaning toward. Having all announcements for both IPs and ASNs directly on our router and then routed to 1 or more servers, but maybe some extensive options such as anycast support?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please choose "Option 1" or "Option 2" and provide a detailed explanation on your preference.

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Option 1 for customers who want to optimize their network.
    I'm announcing the same subnets in multiple locations, so that I can pick a route dynamically.

Option 2 for customers who just want to use IPs in a single location.

Thanked by 3tentor Cybr host_c
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 22

@yoursunny said:
    I'm announcing the same subnets in multiple locations, so that I can pick a route dynamically.

Thanks for the feedback.

Assuming that we can offer anycast for option 2 (announced on our router) and route to a server within that specific data center, would this not be sufficient to offset option #1?

I'm concerned that with option #1 (BGP session) customers with multiple servers will have a nightmare routing to their servers.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Ideally - you do both. Both options cover different use cases.

Say - a VPS provider wants the IPs under their ASN and IPs in a private vlan spanned across all their machines. Or on the other hand - someone who wants to control the BGP session manually and bring it up/down when needed.

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 22

Option 2 with an API or mechanism in your panel for customers to activate / deactivate their announcements.

Unless you provide full tables, communities, or allow prepending, I don't see any benefit to the customer running their own BGP session other than the ability to start / stop the announcement at will.

• Offering both options is the best choice, I think it's totally different for different clients.

Option 1, clients just want to have their own IP range and nothing more.

Option 2, a client who wants to announce their own ranges, have full routing on a virtualized router, be able to choose which provider to send traffic through (you can provide communities for that) much more flexibility.

Thanked by 1host_c

@MrRadic said:

@yoursunny said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Assuming that we can offer anycast for option 2 (announced on our router) and route to a server within that specific data center, would this not be sufficient to offset option #1?

I'm concerned that with option #1 (BGP session) customers with multiple servers will have a nightmare routing to their servers.

BuyVM would let the customer announce both the /48 (or shorter prefix) and more specific routes (up to /128).

• Server A announces 2001:db8:843::/48 and 2001:db8:843:1100::/56.
    • Server B announces 2001:db8:843::/48 and 2001:db8:843:6000::/56.
    • Only the /48 would reach DFZ, but within the data center these more specific routes would be followed.
  • Option 1 is honestly more appealing from the customer's side as they could do whatever they want at ease without needing to scream at the customer support.

However, Option 2 might be easier for the customer and the provider (like if im the customer i will 100% down your network somehow) and you can easily route the IPs.

• Option 1

• Option 2

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@MrRadic

I think you will end up with both.

option 1 - is for a more advanced users that want to announce their subnets thru you, so they will need a "router" to do that and at least 1 VLAN for transport to their servers.

option 2 - is for those having a subnet in your infrastructure and do not want the hassle of BGP and so on, just to be able to use their ip's on a vlan you gave them directly.

Both are correct, and honestly, I would recommend you to do both. I do not see option 1 or 2 being more easy on you, the provider.

I personally like option 1.

I would also use a separate router, let's call it r-customer-bgp, and I would set up filteres here, then a iBGP to my core to announce the customers subnets to upstream.
    In this case, I do not have to mangle around with VLANS + QOS + filters on CORE Router.

Option 2 can be in the r-customer-bgp router also.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! This is really helpful.

• ehabehab Member

i only talk about sex.

Thanked by 4host_c boot nyamenk lnx
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Do not reinvent the wheel - option #1 BYOIP aka customers' IPs announced from your ASN, option #2 BYOAS aka customer have full control over BGP and annoucement

Thanked by 1host_c

@ehab said:
    i only talk about sex.

You only talk about pants.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @gbshouse said:
    Do not reinvent the wheel - option #1 BYOIP aka customers' IPs announced from your ASN, option #2 BYOAS aka customer have full control over BGP and annoucement

Wooa If you were a professor I'm sure you would find many assistants.

• jtkjtk Member

@MrRadic said:
    Option 1: BGP session directly from the customer's server, all announcements performed by the customer. ASN validation performed manually, no IP spoofing allowed.

This is the only "real" BGP option. Many customers will want access to the routes you see for a variety of reasons. It also allows customers to be able to control their routes directly (i.e., more specifics, withdrawals, tags).

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@MrRadic said: Option 2 is what I'm leaning toward. Having all announcements for both IPs and ASNs directly on our router and then routed to 1 or more servers, but maybe some extensive options such as anycast support?

This creates a large time-sink on you (or your employees).

Overall, there is no way I would accept option 2.. I need to control and change my announcements when I need to.

Thanked by 1MrRadic

@kevinds said:

@MrRadic said: Option 2 is what I'm leaning toward. Having all announcements for both IPs and ASNs directly on our router and then routed to 1 or more servers, but maybe some extensive options such as anycast support?

Overall, there is no way I would accept option 2.. I need to control and change my announcements when I need to.

Everything we offer is fully automated. You would be able to do it via the panel and API.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Both options is most likely ideal if you can do it.
    Some people want one yet others want the other we have found.
    No one will be 100% happy either way haha even if you gave them free money.

• jtkjtk Member

@MrRadic said:
    Everything we offer is fully automated. You would be able to do it via the panel and API.

This is certainly your prerogative, but speaking from the perspective of customers who interface with dozens of providers, having to maintain yet another interface to hosting providers's custom API only the provider has control over is not that appealing. BGP ops already have a handful of well-known control plane interfaces to systems and BGP software. Trade-offs. Best of luck whatever you do.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

ASN / IP announcement at your core and private vlans for IP pooling across multiple servers.

Thanked by 2MrRadic rsk
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

We do both. Depending on the clients needs.
    But I'm with @host_c on this one. If can don't do it on your core. So that way if something breaks it doesn't take the whole network with it.

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

You haven't been too flexible with some stuff but I admire your growth. Let me know if you'd like to discuss what the hosting market needs.

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@MannDude said:
    ASN / IP announcement at your core and private vlans for IP pooling across multiple servers.

To quote myself, this is what VPS providers would seek.

This is what we have Crunchbits and Worldstream do for us, and why we had to pass on ReliableSite in the past despite wanting to order a handful of servers at one point.

ASN / IP announcement downstream of you with a private vlan for IP pooling between servers in a single location would be rad.

Thanked by 1MrRadic

@MikePT said:
    You haven't been too flexible with some stuff but I admire your growth. Let me know if you'd like to discuss what the hosting market needs.

Start a new thread or pm me.

@jtk said:

@MrRadic said:

This is certainly your prerogative, but speaking from the perspective of customers who interface with dozens of providers, having to maintain yet another interface to hosting providers's custom API only the provider has control over is not that appealing. BGP ops already have a handful of well-known control plane interfaces to systems and BGP software. Trade-offs. Best of luck whatever you do.

Thanks, this makes sense.

@MrRadic said:

@kevinds said:

There's an API called Pathvector.
    Why reinventing another API?

@yoursunny said:

@MrRadic said:

@kevinds said:

There's an API called Pathvector.
    Why reinventing another API?

Not reinventing anything here, but there's something you be said about having full control of your code. This is a different topic though

• @sh97 your time bro.

Thanked by 1sh97