Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

use linux vps to host windows server program over wine
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

use linux vps to host windows server program over wine

not directly related to hosting but since this is LET, i would rather ask the question here.

i have a windows program that runs over windows as a service or in foreground. it exposes a license port for user elsewhere.

The problem is, i do not want to keep my machine open or buy a windows license for a vps.

the program runs fine over wine (in my testing on my desktop) so i was wondering if anyone here has used wine for this purpose?

can wine be run as a service so that the program starts automatically on boot and restarts if it crashes?

the program uses like 100mb ram so i am sure even a 1gb ram vps will suffice good for me but i do not want to manually open vnc and start the program, that would defeat the purpose

Comments

• bootboot Member

yes

• If you need a graphical linux session I doubt you need only 1 GB of ram

Thanked by 1boot
  • this is how I run my fleet of retro game servers for clients. works well most of the time.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited February 20

@john_sd3 said:

can wine be run as a service so that the program starts automatically on boot and restarts if it crashes?

Should be possible to do using something like xpra for the graphic session and Wine commands but RAM will be significantly higher than 100mb

• i have a question. does wine require x11/graphical session to run programs? can't we just use a bash script to run a program, if there is no x11 session, will it run?