Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET P2P-ish file storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET P2P-ish file storage?

DeadlyChemistDeadlyChemist Member
edited February 17 in General

My home server has enough space for all my junk and about 1-2tb i could easily rent
problem is, no redundancy, so i used other vps' and my build a small server at moms place for my stuff
everything is safe now (3-5 locations)

but how about, someone uploads 1tb of their junk to me and i upload 1tb of my junk to them

technically we could save fees on remote storages.

just a thought, duplicati or other encrypted backups are good for this. maybe with "trusted" members first

or this already exists and im dummy dum dum, unsure

LET Community Backup Storage
  1. Would you do this?39 votes
    1. yes
      38.46%
    2. nope
      61.54%
  2. How much storage would you offer?39 votes
    1. Nothing, i just want free stuff / dislike the idea
      56.41%
    2. <100GB
      10.26%
    3. 100GB - 500GB
        2.56%
    4. 500GB - 1TB
        7.69%
    5. 1TB - 2TB
        5.13%
    6. 2TB - 5TB
        5.13%
    7. 5TB - 10TB
        2.56%
    8. 10TB +
      10.26%

Comments

• To entrust a lamb to a wolf.

• @tra10000 said:
    To entrust a lamb to a wolf.

if it's encryped and i can just run a script once a while to chceck if data is there
    i see no reason not to trust
    they delete my stuff, i delete theirs and leave a bad review

• Storage is cheap-ish enough that this is unlikely to be worth the effort or headache.

Thanked by 1nikio
  • @PineappleM said:
    Storage is cheap-ish enough that this is unlikely to be worth the effort or headache.

i pay about 10€-15€/month for my backups, "free" is cheaper

• It's a cool idea, but it would also mean storing random shit of random people - and, at least for me, I would need to make my storage somehow accesible over the internet.

• Delete the fucking junk

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • It's one of those don't shit where you sleep type situations. Encrypted or not, why risk it...

Thanked by 1nikio
  • r3kr3k Member

nah man sounds like a bad idea .. i'll stick to a KS-2 or something.

• why not just install syncthing in these locations and it will all automatically sync? you can encrypt them as well if the device isn't trustworthy.

• davidedavide Member
    edited February 18

Smart switch or timer relay on a second backup computer at home? You know that german houses don't tend to burn down like the american ones. Unlucky americans have 50 amps copper wires along the plywood walls. When from the outlet in one room to the outlet next room there's 10 volts difference, the whole plywood house is at stake.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Wasn't this something of the idea behind Tahoe-LAFS?

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahoe-LAFS

I've never used it. I recall @joepie91 hacked on this (good sense of the word) or was at least a proponent.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • storj has entered the chat.

Also, @ OP - "free" might be better than €10/month, but it doesn't include the price of paracetamol for all the headaches it generates.

• @johndeo983 said:
    Delete the fucking junk

still want backups of my non-fucking junk

@Altes said:
    It's one of those don't shit where you sleep type situations. Encrypted or not, why risk it...

i trust encryption, fully

@chakraxzz said:
    why not just install syncthing in these locations and it will all automatically sync? you can encrypt them as well if the device isn't trustworthy.

would need people for this supporting this idea i guess

@davide said:
    Smart switch or timer relay on a second backup computer at home? You know that german houses don't tend to burn down like the american ones. Unlucky americans have 50 amps copper wires along the plywood walls. When from the outlet in one room to the outlet next room there's 10 volts difference, the whole plywood house is at stake.

my backups run daily or many times a day to my moms place... 1 original and 1 copy isnt enough for me so i have more locations that run every day or few days

problem is, even at my moms place i need to pay for electricity and extra hardware

@raindog308 said:
    Wasn't this something of the idea behind Tahoe-LAFS?

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahoe-LAFS

I've never used it. I recall @joepie91 hacked on this (good sense of the word) or was at least a proponent.

this sounds good, but cant figure out where the data actually goes

@nikio said: Also, @ OP - "free" might be better than €10/month, but it doesn't include the price of paracetamol for all the headaches it generates.

depends, maybe i should just use syncthing with a member or two for less hassle

• I can't get raided by the FBI this early in the year so its a no from me.

Thanked by 2lowendtalkxdax nikio
  • bootboot Member

Poll is broken

• davidedavide Member
    edited February 18

Fetid mum.

If I may dare give a suggestion, murder her and get the inheritance; the cops will understand that was the only sensible solution for your backups. Also throw away the power meter in your bedroom, every kid hates it. Dad won't complain as his character doesn't exist in this novel.

Just my 2 cents.

• @BruhGamer12 said:
    I can't get raided by the FBI this early in the year so its a no from me.

Bro you are scared shitless, maybe time to move to another country, how can you life in fear like this.

• edited February 18

I guess OP basically wants to run a cooperative setup of Tahoe-LAFS but it probably would be quite a viable project to organize a couple cheapasses each adding their nodes. I'd very much try to collect a bit of experience before entrusting the setup with anything of value.

Edit: @raindog308 was faster than me. Replying to threads you haven't actually read might sometimes not be the best idea after all. Oops ;)