Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU Steal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPU Steal

When purchasing a VPS with Unlimited Core time how much CPU Steal is normal? I currently have a 2 Core VPS with 30-40% CPU steal and my average CPU usage is 40% according to Hetrixtools.

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Unlimited Core [overselling]?

• remyremy Member
    edited February 15

If you have unlimited cpu cores you can ignore the cpu steal because you already have unlimited power anyway.

On a more serious note. Were cpu cores sold as dedicated? Or just the right to try to use / abuse cpu cores all the time?
    If they were sold as dedicated, then no, it's not normal.

• I guess maybe that is what I am missing, I was told 2 vCPU Cores and I can use 100% of them all the time, but they don't call them dedicated

• They switched me nodes and I saw a drastic change
    https://imgur.com/a/0gQ0nqy

• remyremy Member
    edited February 16

@Reaperofpower said:
    I guess maybe that is what I am missing, I was told 2 vCPU Cores and I can use 100% of them all the time, but they don't call them dedicated

Yes, with most VPS there is no guarantee that you won't have a CPU steal.
    Because in fact a fraction of the resources are dedicated to you and so in the event of a heavy load ... steal appears

If you want guaranteed resources then you need to increase the budget a little. You can get a few dedicated cores for $10 - 12$ / mon from some providers

• edited February 16

If your CPU is stolen you need to contact the CPU police.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited February 16

@Reaperofpower said:
    When purchasing a VPS with Unlimited Core time how much CPU Steal is normal? I currently have a 2 Core VPS with 30-40% CPU steal and my average CPU usage is 40% according to Hetrixtools.

Do not confuse unmetered cpu usage with dedicated core.

One cpu core may be shared with 3 or 4 or even more VPS , and each vps has unmetered cpu usage allowance.

Free lesson in the power of marketing

• @Reaperofpower said:
    I guess maybe that is what I am missing, I was told 2 vCPU Cores and I can use 100% of them all the time, but they don't call them dedicated

100% means all you want, not all of them.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited February 16

@Reaperofpower said:

was cores allocationation dedicated to the vps?

Most likely NOT

• I agree that dedicated is not the same and I dont have a problem with steal time but just how much is too much, 30% seemed to high

• @Reaperofpower said:
    I agree that dedicated is not the same and I dont have a problem with steal time but just how much is too much, 30% seemed to high

on 300 single geekbench 6 worse vs 3000. if it works it works

• There is no "too much" really. If your workloads are performing fine whilst the steal is in that region then arguably what's the issue? If it's causing you anxiety or a problem then switch providers. It pretty much boils down to that.

• @Reaperofpower said:
    I agree that dedicated is not the same and I dont have a problem with steal time but just how much is too much, 30% seemed to high

All depends on the price of the VPS
    As an example, if I am paying $18 per year and have 2 vCores, I will assume as if I have 30% of core allocated to the VPS.

The cheapest dedicated core VPS I have is from @HostEONS, it has one Ryzen vCore dedicated for $3.75 per month.

• qebaqeba Member

How do you check CPU Steal ?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited February 16