Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[5€ Bounty] Choosing the right Intel E3 v3 for my Unraid Plex server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[5€ Bounty] Choosing the right Intel E3 v3 for my Unraid Plex server.

stefemanstefeman Member
edited February 13 in Help

I will buy from aliexpress as always since im cheap.

24 hours time. Best suggestion (cheapest and whatever will work) will win.

Post aliexpress links for CPU and Motherboard. I already have the RAM.

Which one to go for? Im looking to do the following:

E3 CPU
Motherboard

Must support:
4x8GB DDR3 non-ecc desktop RAM.
1x GTX 1650 Super GPU
6x SATA3 PCI-E 4x expansion card.

I'm having hard time deciding between:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=75462,80916,75464,80915,75465,80913

https://www.cpu-world.com/Compare_CPUs/Intel_CM8064601466509,Intel_CM8064601575205,Intel_CM8064601466508,Intel_CM8064601575216,Intel_CM8064601466703,Intel_CM8064601575203/?

The server will be on normal mid-tower case, so no E-ATX form factor.

Official used motherboard brands preferred, but I don't mind a chinese brand if it works.

Comments

• emghemgh Member

https://aliexpress.com/*

That’s a wildcard

I won

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

CPU maybe on Aliexpress, but the Motherboard?
    Shipping is likely to expensive.

Check local offers instead.

• emghemgh Member

@Neoon said:
    CPU maybe on Aliexpress, but the Motherboard?
    Shipping is likely to expensive.

Check local offers instead.

I think he’s from Finland, used market for server parts in Sweden, which is bigger, sucks.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Where are you from? I might have some old E3v3 server to get rid of for cheap ... if you are willing to pay for premium shipping from The Netherlands ;-)

• These 3 are cheapest.

Seemingly, so I don't even need to consider the latter 4.

• edited February 13

That might be cheap up front, but power costs are probably going to eat any potential savings vs a simple i3 12100 + B660 motherboard and using iGPU for transcoding, not factoring performance differences.

• @RickBakkr said:
    Where are you from? I might have some old E3v3 server to get rid of for cheap ... if you are willing to pay for premium shipping from The Netherlands ;-)

It will run on my bedroom, so I dont know if I want to upgrade into delta screamers xD

Right now its running on Fractal Design mid tower case, that has some noise dampening. The worst ones right now are my Exos drives and I intend to keep it that way.

So only CPU and motherboard preferably xD.

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    That might be cheap up front, but power costs are probably going to eat any potential savings vs a simple i3 1200 + B660 motherboard and using iGPU for transcoding, not factoring performance differences.

I considered this, but im locked into 4c/kWh electricity plan, and I will use GPU for overclocking. 1650 super uses generally about 25W-50W or less with my usage.

CPU will run with power saving stuff, so overall it will stay mostly under 100W under heavy load and 25W or less on idle.

• aliexpress? more like dumpster diving

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If you'll have external GPU, why a CPU with integrated graphics?

• You should be looking at a modern i3 or similar. You don't need the GPU if you have a modern enough intel CPU with quicksync.

• @AlexBarakov said:
    If you'll have external GPU, why a CPU with integrated graphics?

I plan to leave one for the unraid and then have easier time passing GPU to VM. In case unraid does not need the igpu, I can have another VM with it.

• To avoid myself the trouble of finding & matching compatible pieces, last week I bought a pre-assembled kit of Supermicro motherboard + E3-1245 v3 + heatsink + memory + latest flashed rom. I saved a day and some more in shipping costs.

Link or it didn't happen: https://www.ebay.it/itm/314254104001

• I just bought xeon e5 2650 v4 with Motherboard and 16gb DDR4 for 54euros from AliExpress use it for gaming PC I also bought an rx580 on AliExpress for 55 psu 25 700w and case 35 1tb nvme 45bux gaming setup for around 200 works pretty sweat on 1080p fps around 60

• Have you considered actual workstation like HP Z440 or Dell T5810?

Top-grade/server grade components, has working deep sleep (these cheap ali boards not), very efficient PSU, very quiet.

• 1230v3 + any motherboard really.

• @WhiteRoseG said:
    I just bought xeon e5 2650 v4 with Motherboard and 16gb DDR4 for 54euros from AliExpress use it for gaming PC I also bought an rx580 on AliExpress for 55 psu 25 700w and case 35 1tb nvme 45bux gaming setup for around 200 works pretty sweat on 1080p fps around 60

750W powersupply for $25? I hope this is a typo.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@AXYZE said: 750W powersupply for $25? I hope this is a typo.

Sounds like AliExpress.. Just don't try and pull 750 watts from it.. Bad things will happen.. ;)

Learnt that lesson already with other products from there.

• I dont personally skimp on psu

Thanked by 2Peppery9 PineappleM
  • @stefeman said:

@CyberneticTitan said:
    That might be cheap up front, but power costs are probably going to eat any potential savings vs a simple i3 1200 + B660 motherboard and using iGPU for transcoding, not factoring performance differences.

I considered this, but im locked into 4c/kWh electricity plan, and I will use GPU for overclocking. 1650 super uses generally about 25W-50W or less with my usage.

CPU will run with power saving stuff, so overall it will stay mostly under 100W under heavy load and 25W or less on idle.

I envy you guys so much…
    My parents have to pay 0.40€~0.44usd per kWh for electricity… (Germany)
    Forced me to install a solar plant on their roof x)

• @AXYZE said:

@WhiteRoseG said:
    I just bought xeon e5 2650 v4 with Motherboard and 16gb DDR4 for 54euros from AliExpress use it for gaming PC I also bought an rx580 on AliExpress for 55 psu 25 700w and case 35 1tb nvme 45bux gaming setup for around 200 works pretty sweat on 1080p fps around 60

750W powersupply for $25? I hope this is a typo.

Yep it's legit and even more quite then the one I buy locally currently it's 40bucks I bought it on sale just wait till the beginning of next month it will get cheaper.

€43,72 60%OFF | Aigo AK 700W PC PSU Power Supply Unit Black Gaming Quiet 120mm RGB Fan 24pin 12V ATX Desktop Computer Power Supply for BTC
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_Evivv7F

• Well
    not an E3 but i am using this b760 from AliExpress for the same purpose , Unraid.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006063359129.html

with same chines 32G ram and i3 12100 .

and its working fine since last few months .

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 18

Sadly its DDR4, I prefer to stay on DDR3 as I already have the RAM

Dell T430 or HP ML 350 G9 are both 5x over the budget and insanely noisy.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 18

Look in dumpsters at local data centers. Those E3s are so old that they're just considered ewaste at this point, and nobody really wants to buy them any more so companies even have trouble recycling them.

For a Plex server, you really want a CPU with integrated graphics. The Xeons that support QuickSync are usually suffixed with "G". A modern i3 will easily beat an old E3 though, while using less power.