Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner VPS - help faster network speed with Ubuntu than Windows
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner VPS - help faster network speed with Ubuntu than Windows

Hi, please advise.
I use Hetzner VPS.
On Ubuntu with aria2c the network speed, downloading a file is 800 MBps.

On Windows Server with aria2c the speed is only 200 MBps.

I installed the virtio drivers during the windows install from the iso image.

Why is Linux so much faster?
Is it possible to have the same speed on Windows?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• danblazedanblaze Member
    edited February 13

I think it's a congestion control issue. On modern kernel Linux systems BBR is basically built in, whereas on Win it's not built in, although you can turn it on after some versions.

So by default Linux is likely to have better network throughput rates than Win.

On the other hand Win has a lot of stuff to run, and is overall more complex and resource intensive than Linux.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60159716/how-to-enable-tcp-bbr-on-windows

You can refer to the above article to enable bbr for win.

Thanked by 1lowendtalkxdax
  • @danblaze said:
    I think it's a congestion control issue. On modern kernel Linux systems BBR is basically built in, whereas on Win it's not built in, although you can turn it on after some versions.

So by default Linux is likely to have better network throughput rates than Win.

On the other hand Win has a lot of stuff to run, and is overall more complex and resource intensive than Linux.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60159716/how-to-enable-tcp-bbr-on-windows

You can refer to the above article to enable bbr for win.

I was about to say the same thing