Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best server region for Discord Bot?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best server region for Discord Bot?

Hello there,

I have a VPS located in Dallas, TX. The ping from the discord websocket is about 39ms, the ping is great, but when I look at Wick bot, they have 13ms latency, where is Wick bot's VPS/server located?

I know that ping is not really matter for discord bot, but I just want to know 😅 and sorry for bad grammar

Comments

• bootboot Member

:s

• KousakaKousaka Member
    edited February 13

Find the location of discord’s datacenter, get a server in/near that datacenter, done.

Doing mtr or lookup geoip database will help you

• kaitkait Member

Wick bot is probably in New York and/or Frankfurt Germany. Where are the discord API servers at is probably a better question.

• JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited February 13

Best location for Discord bots would be Ashburn, VA. Discord's servers are at Google Cloud's DC in South Carolina. Discord's US East voice region is also at i3D's Ashburn location, which can help if you use voice.

You can get a cheap VPS from Hetzner Cloud if you want to get the least latency.

• JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited February 13

@kait said:
    Wick bot is probably in New York and/or Frankfurt Germany. Where are the discord API servers at is probably a better question.

Discord only has the "gateway" servers in South Carolina at the current day.

• kaitkait Member

@JeDaYoshi said: Discord only has the "gateway" servers in South Carolina at the current day.

Yikes that sounds dumb.

• @kait said:

@JeDaYoshi said: Discord only has the "gateway" servers in South Carolina at the current day.

Yikes that sounds dumb.

Muli region deployments for an app like discord would be basically impossible since it's all live, it makes much more sense to only deploy in one region. Cloudflare handles all the caching for static responses anyway, so there's no meaningful thing they could actually deploy internationally.

• bgerardbgerard Member
    edited February 13

@ehhthing said:

@kait said:

Yikes that sounds dumb.

Muli region deployments for an app like discord would be basically impossible since it's all live, it makes much more sense to only deploy in one region. Cloudflare handles all the caching for static responses anyway, so there's no meaningful thing they could actually deploy internationally.

Hardly impossible but main benefits would likely be redundancy rather than end user performance.

Users could see lower message latency if messages are routed within the same region, I.e a message sent in the US is processed and distributed to other clients in the US resulting in a lower delay between when a message is sent and received by other people in the same region. Although I wouldn't imagine this is too much of a concern in the case of discord.

• @bgerard said:

@ehhthing said:

@kait said:

Yikes that sounds dumb.

Hardly impossible but main benefits would likely be redundancy rather than end user performance.

Users could see lower message latency if messages are routed within the same region, I.e a message sent in the US is processed and distributed to other clients in the US resulting in a lower delay between when a message is sent and received by other people in the same region. Although I wouldn't imagine this is too much of a concern in the case of discord.

This kind of thing doesn't scale well, which is the problem. You get all kinds of synchronization issues for distributed systems when you add latency to the mix. Usually this doesn't matter because most large distributed applications rely eventual consistency rather than synchronization, but Discord can't really do that. If you want to make a fully consistent distributed system, you basically need to reduce throughput (see etcd.)

There must be a central source of truth for large applications that need 100% consistency,

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • LeviLevi Member

It is not possible that discord solely operates from america. They definitely have pops on europe, asia, india etc. Latency in voice com is to important.

• @Levi said:
    It is not possible that discord solely operates from america. They definitely have pops on europe, asia, india etc. Latency in voice com is to important.

We're talking about the main service, not voice servers. They have globally distributed servers for voice chats, but it's not the same for text.

• LeviLevi Member

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Levi said:

We're talking about the main service, not voice servers. They have globally distributed servers for voice chats, but it's not the same for text.

Interesting. Do you have schema of their infra parts? Why do you think that text goes directly to america servers?

• @Levi said:

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Levi said:

Interesting. Do you have schema of their infra parts? Why do you think that text goes directly to america servers?

This discord status incident: https://discordstatus.com/incidents/vs0q8cvycg46

(and probably a lot more)

Thanked by 1JeDaYoshi
  • they have API gateways in both coasts. One in Ashburn and second one in Fremont. However in my opinion. lower ping is in Ashburn and so I have dedicated server there just for bots :)

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep
    edited February 13

@kait said:

Yikes that sounds dumb.

Why? It's hosted on Google Cloud, which means it's at their Berkeley County datacenter. (that place is massive)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KK5ABRkcW6KyXVVw6

• kaitkait Member

@Swiftnode said: Why? It's hosted on Google Cloud, which means it's at their Berkeley County datacenter. (that place is massive)

Its a single location...

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep
    edited February 13

@kait said:

@Swiftnode said: Why? It's hosted on Google Cloud, which means it's at their Berkeley County datacenter. (that place is massive)

Its a single location...

Discord has different regions, US East, US South, US Central, and US West. The google datacenter in Berkeley County is just handling US south.

I believe Newark is the other US East location. Or at least it was last year when I was looking into this for a customer.

• kaitkait Member

@Swiftnode said: Discord has different regions, US East, US South, US Central, and US West. The google datacenter in Berkeley County is just handling US south.

I believe Newark is the other US East location. Or at least it was last year when I was looking into this for a customer.

Oooh yeah I got confused, but yall tarding since OP never asked for US only.

Thanked by 1Swiftnode
  • What purposes does a Discord bot serve?

• @JosephF said:
    What purposes does a Discord bot serve?

Many. You can use a discord library to write one, or use one like Red.
    https://discord.com/developers/docs/topics/community-resources
    https://github.com/Cog-Creators/Red-DiscordBot

Thanked by 1JosephF