Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your smallest VPS in 2024?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your smallest VPS in 2024?

The $12 offer from hosteons reminds me of the days when low memory boxes were popular. I’m not sure about what people will do if they grab that 256MB VPS, but I’m still keeping a 256MB box from liteserver. Amazingly, with zram and swap on, I can host a basic website using docker.

I started tinkering with servers with the 64MB (ovz) offer from bandwagonhost, almost a decade ago. It was used to setup shadowsocks to bypass the chinese gfw, yet I managed to put a nginx + mysql + php wordpress website into it. I don’t think I can do the same were that box still alive now in 2024. Last year I cancelled a 128MB box (kvm!) since I could no longer find any suitable thing to run within such a strict limit. I’m going to see when my 256MB box will be phased out, either by myself or the provider, but I do hope it can last a few years longer.

So, what is the smallest VPS you are still keeping? And what do you run on it?

Comments

• 256mb SG nat from webhorizon $3.99 py

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • 256MB on microLXC

• loayloay Member

128mb nat vps from @Cam

Thanked by 1Cam
  • KousakaKousaka Member
    edited February 11

Now I'm really wondering if anyone somehow uses a 64MB server...

Just saw the reply above. Awesome.

• 256mb jp from natvps.net(formerly webhorizon) $3.99/y

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited February 11

About 12 years ago I had a free 32MB VPS through an offer in another forum. I was called "micro/nano-‏something" i don't remember, and I learnt how to install a VPN there. That project lasted a few months.

On the other hand using a 128MB VPS I could rdp to Firefox 3 and have 2-3 tabs opened

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Some of my smallest virtual servers:

Several 64MB containers with SWAP on MicroNode (£15/year for up to 8): runs udpflow to reduce latency between two other nodes.
    One 128MB container without SWAP from microLXC (no cost): runs WireGuard to provide NAT IPv4 to an IPv6-only KVM in same region.
    One 256MB container with SWAP from Gullo ($1/year): newly ordered, pending setup.
    One 512MB KVM from nanoKVM (no cost): runs monitoring software for push-ups delivery network.
    One 512MB KVM from Limitless ($3/year): runs RIPE ATLAS probe.

I am no longer ordering new KVM with less than 3GB RAM.
    I will still order containers, as long as it runs latest Debian or Ubuntu, and apt update && apt full-upgrade works (even if I need to turn off services during the upgrade).

Thanked by 2loay natvps_uk
  • Why need so small?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@chiccorosso said: Why need so small?

They're cheap and if all you're doing is running a vpn or something low-mem, they're enough resources.

I used to run lots of stuff on 128MB VMs but today 1GB+ is so cheap I don't bother.

Thanked by 1chiccorosso
  • boralesborales Member
    edited February 11

@yoursunny said:

runs WireGuard to provide NAT IPv4 to an IPv6-only KVM in same region.

Any good tutorial for this?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited February 11

1gb memory 10gb storage
    Running PostgreSQL database server

Thanked by 1nick_
  • sh97sh97 Member
    edited February 11

64MB Ram , 2GB storage OpenVZ container from NatvpsUK, used just for wireguard.

Thanked by 2yoursunny natvps_uk
  • 384MB nl + swap from virmach for $4/y

• What are your guys paying for these small VPS '?

• loayloay Member

@JosephF said:
    What are your guys paying for these small VPS '?

Between 1-6$ per year. @natvps_uk is very reliable, I run n8n for my telegram bots on one of their 6$/year vps offers :)

Thanked by 2natvps_uk JosephF
  • 64MB ram at home on old laptop for fun.
    runs custom kernel alpinelinux with sshd/httpd/dns caching/routing. rock solid with headroom for more

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@loay said:

@JosephF said:

Between 1-6$ per year. @natvps_uk is very reliable, I run n8n for my telegram bots on one of their 6$/year vps offers :)

Your price has been will be tripled.

• loayloay Member

@yoursunny said:

@loay said:

@JosephF said:

Your price has been will be tripled.

Oh, just read the announcement :(

• @lowenduser1 said:
    64MB ram at home on old laptop for fun.
    runs custom kernel alpinelinux with sshd/httpd/dns caching/routing. rock solid with headroom for more

That honestly sounds so cool.

• k4zzk4zz Member

@borales said:

@yoursunny said:

I once used socat to make an IPv6 only server available on IPv4.
    https://timurnet.de/blog/devops/setup-port-tunnel-for-ipv6-networks-with-uberspace/

• This question should be separeted into two categories: containers (lxc, openvz, jails, zones, etc), and full virtual servers (kvm, xen, esxi, etc). In containers, you are not running your own kernel (plus some more system services), so it leaves much more space to user apps.

• bootboot Member

$2/yr 128MB from Gullo running ZNC.

• a free lifetime 64mb kvm

• 256MB RAM NATVPSes from NatVPS.net and KhanWebHost for private VPN.

• zhizhi Member

512 MB €4.99EUR/y from Alphavps.

• @k4zz said:

@borales said:

@yoursunny said:

I once used socat to make an IPv6 only server available on IPv4.
    https://timurnet.de/blog/devops/setup-port-tunnel-for-ipv6-networks-with-uberspace/

ssh has built-in socks5 / port forward support!

@shruub said:

@lowenduser1 said:
    64MB ram at home on old laptop for fun.

That honestly sounds so cool.

agree! constrained env really makes one work hard. spending little more money and deploy containers gets the job done faster, but spending time and educate oneself make more money in the long run! not forget minimal setup has less attack vector

Thanked by 1shruub
  • I have some 128 from Inception and some 256 from WebHorizon and Gullo.

Most of them are leftovers since I was playing around with anycast and needed probes around the world, but some of them actually still runs simple stuff like vpn or proxies. They cost basically nothing so I just keep them idling.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited February 12

I've got a 256MB RAM KVM system from ramhost.us still running..

The Hosteons system is a little cheaper, so considering it, plus it has the 10gbps port..

• i dont have anything below 2GB ram.

2GB should be the new lowend.

Thanked by 1emgh