Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted vs. Self-Hosted Email - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted vs. Self-Hosted Email

2»

Comments

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited February 9

@lowendtalkxdax said:
    For non-commercial use u get 10x MS 365 licences for free through their engineering feedback program.

How/where do you sign up for this?

• @JosephF said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:
    For non-commercial use u get 10x MS 365 licences for free through their engineering feedback program.

I have linked the guide above.

• pbxpbx Member

@hyperblast said: nope! i use a client on my mobile for checking mails but without downloading. the mails remain on the server until i finally download the mails with the client at home.

Nice. Do you have a trick so that email that have been read on the mobile appear as read when downloaded using pop3?

• @lowendtalkxdax said:

@JosephF said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:

That doesn't seem to work for me. Neither does their second method :(

• @kvz12 said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:

@JosephF said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:

At which step it fails?
    Maybe I can help. When I fist set up my account it was quite tricky as well.

• kvz12kvz12 Member
    edited February 10

@lowendtalkxdax said:

@kvz12 said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:

@JosephF said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:

At which step it fails?
    Maybe I can help. When I fist set up my account it was quite tricky as well.

For the engineering feedback one it fails, saying "You are not eligible to buy this plan". That is after adding a custom domain, and adding a new Global Admin user.

• @JosephF said: Which forwarding service are you using?

The mail forwarding service was acquired by pobox.com, so it's with them now.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@david said: So aside from using a different service for outgoing mail, is there any benefit to having the incoming mail hosted elsewhere? I can't think of any. Even with port 25 outgoing blocked, my server can still receive mail fine.

The benefit of self hosting is that you control the filters.. My M$ hosted email address for example has emails returned, "User Reported SPAM", for messages I have sent myself that never arrived in my Inbox, just deleted.

• Yes, I see this as a benefit, too. It seems less likely to lose an incoming email, not more likely.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I was self hosting my email server on Hetzner dedi's back in 2021.

Used mailchannels(reseller) relay for outgoing, and incoming was proxied via mxguarddog.

Mxguarddog has 168 Hour Spooling, I went with them to not lose emails if my server goes down for a while.

Though their interface is really old, it works.

@jar what do you think about mxguarddog?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 10

@FatGrizzly said:
    I was self hosting my email server on Hetzner dedi's back in 2021.

Used mailchannels(reseller) relay for outgoing, and incoming was proxied via mxguarddog.

Mxguarddog has 168 Hour Spooling, I went with them to not lose emails if my server goes down for a while.

Though their interface is really old, it works.

@jar what do you think about mxguarddog?

Fine as far as I know. All I know is DO NOT use junkemailfilter. They are pure cancer.

• @jar said:
    Fine as far as I know. All I know is DO NOT use junkemailfilter. They are pure cancer.

I'm curious, what's so bad about junkemailfilter?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@quicksilver03 said:

@jar said:

I'm curious, what's so bad about junkemailfilter?

They run a backup mail server that allegedly will hold email for you and deliver it to your primary MX later, if your primary MX is down. In practice all they do is blacklist every IP that connects to the backup mail server and declare everything sent to it as spam. I politely showed them proof of it and they just doubled down and got rude about it, so it's not ignorance at this point.

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • I use Yandex360 for privacy. I automatically forward these mails to Gmail for added privacy. I will add another Hotmail forwarding soon for redundancy. I will find a CN mail provider for geo-distribution.

Hosted and Self-hosted don't interest me.

• @tra10000 said:
    I use Yandex360 for privacy. I automatically forward these mails to Gmail for added privacy. I will add another Hotmail forwarding soon for redundancy. I will find a CN mail provider for geo-distribution.

Hosted and Self-hosted don't interest me.

Uses... Gmail and Yandex... for privacy. Hm.

• try zoho. I think even Proton allows custom domains now.

• How does inbox.eu stack up?

• @JasonM said:
    try zoho. I think even Proton allows custom domains now.

Proton does, but it's paid. It's rather expensive for what you get, but it's how the company has been able to stay alive I guess.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @JosephF said:
    How does inbox.eu stack up?

I was testing it out yesterday actually, it seems fine. Webmail isn't great, but they support SMTP/POP3 for your own email client which is good. It's cheap, and it seems to work.

Thanked by 1JosephF
  • @pbx said:

@hyperblast said: nope! i use a client on my mobile for checking mails but without downloading. the mails remain on the server until i finally download the mails with the client at home.

Nice. Do you have a trick so that email that have been read on the mobile appear as read when downloaded using pop3?

nope.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • Only hosted. Self hosted it s only pain

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • zGatozGato Member
    edited February 11

I was personally looking for a selfhosted solution, but it's just a headache and just wanted something fast so I went with MXRoute @jar and everything went seamless from there.

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • Why would anyone want to self host email unless they also self host their website?

• I mean, this is a forum for low priced vps so people can host their websites and do other nerd things with it. What else are you going to do.

Thanked by 2jlet88 quicksilver03
  • @david said:
    I mean, this is a forum for low priced vps so people can host their websites and do other nerd things with it. What else are you going to do.

This gets my favorite post of the week award! :D

Thanked by 1david