Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need recommendation for cheap chinese VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need recommendation for cheap chinese VPS

Hello fellow members,

I have read that connections to China are kind of tricky:
1. Bandwidth is scarce at peak times.
2. Quite a bit of packet loss.
3. Within China there are separate networks since the 3 main providers each have their own infrastructure.

Does anyone of you own VPS in China and if you do, what would you recommend? Would also love to hear about experiences and tips, if you have.

(Will be using it mainly as a private Tailscale Node)

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• edited February 8

I kinda doubt you will find some kind of lowend offer there. Besides keep in mind that you'll need a license to run a HTTP server (expect to be shutdown if you don't have it and port 80/443 is open) and VPN would also need something like this if i remember correctly. Might be better to settle for Hong Kong.

Thanked by 1lowendtalkxdax
  • You can use bandwagonhost Hong Kong VPS with Mainland China optimised route.
    500GB traffic as low as $89.99 USD Monthly.

http://bwh81.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=95

SSD: 40 GB RAID-10
    RAM: 2048 MB
    CPU: 2x Intel Xeon
    Transfer: 500 GB/mo
    Link speed: 1 Gigabit

Direct route via China Telecom (CN2 GIA), China Unicom, China Mobile

Free automatic backups
    Free snapshots
    VPS technology: KVM/KiwiVM
    Instant OS reload
    IPv4: 1 dedicated address
    Secondary private network interface
    IPv6 support: No
    Full root access
    Instant RDNS update from control panel
    No contract, anytime cancellation
    Strictly self-managed, no support
    99.9% uptime guarantee

$89.99 USD Monthly
    $249.99 USD Quarterly
    $479.99 USD Semi-Annually
    $899.99 USD Annually

• @lowendclient said:
    You can use bandwagonhost Hong Kong VPS with Mainland China optimised route.
    500GB traffic as low as $89.99 USD Monthly.

http://bwh81.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=95

SSD: 40 GB RAID-10
    RAM: 2048 MB
    CPU: 2x Intel Xeon
    Transfer: 500 GB/mo
    Link speed: 1 Gigabit

Direct route via China Telecom (CN2 GIA), China Unicom, China Mobile

Free automatic backups
    Free snapshots
    VPS technology: KVM/KiwiVM
    Instant OS reload
    IPv4: 1 dedicated address
    Secondary private network interface
    IPv6 support: No
    Full root access
    Instant RDNS update from control panel
    No contract, anytime cancellation
    Strictly self-managed, no support
    99.9% uptime guarantee

$89.99 USD Monthly
    $249.99 USD Quarterly
    $479.99 USD Semi-Annually
    $899.99 USD Annually

Pricing is insane

Thanked by 3tentor Peppery9 Porlam
  • KousakaKousaka Member
    edited February 8

Won’t happen, you will need a local ID to buy mainland China servers as required by law. Your only option is to ask a local friend for help.

There are quite cheap servers though if you do not need high bandwidth, like a few Mbps.

• You would need to buy it kind of on the down low. Official retailers can not sell it to foreigners without a load of BS to jump through. Most people ik who have VPS in China buy it with fake details on grey markets

• @BruhGamer12 said:
    You would need to buy it kind of on the down low. Official retailers can not sell it to foreigners without a load of BS to jump through. Most people ik who have VPS in China buy it with fake details on grey markets

Gotta search for those then, I guess. Probably won’t be cheap anymore haha.

• The Chinese government requires servers in mainland China to be filed in order to use ports 80 and 443. Otherwise it will be blocked. Internet speed from China to outside China is very fast, but outside China to China is usually very slow. This is due to the prioritization of lines by Chinese carriers. Therefore, you usually need to spend a large amount of money to buy a server in mainland China. However, if you buy a server in Hong Kong, China, it will be much cheaper. But please note that the connectivity from Hong Kong, China to mainland China on cheap servers is not good.

I am from China. I use deepl for translation

• @haolun said:
    The Chinese government requires servers in mainland China to be filed in order to use ports 80 and 443. Otherwise it will be blocked. Internet speed from China to outside China is very fast, but outside China to China is usually very slow. This is due to the prioritization of lines by Chinese carriers. Therefore, you usually need to spend a large amount of money to buy a server in mainland China. However, if you buy a server in Hong Kong, China, it will be much cheaper. But please note that the connectivity from Hong Kong, China to mainland China on cheap servers is not good.

Since I will be primarily using Tailscale, I won’t be needing 80 and 443.
    But I have indeed noticed the speed impact and packet loss when trying to access Chinese services using the default route from EU to China.

That’s why I am planning on getting a Chinese local VPS so that I can build a „Tunnel“ with a straight (and high quality) route from EU to China, so the people around me and I don’t have to worry about insane loading times of local Chinese websites.

I have thought about VPS in Hongkong, but those don’t seem to have full access to many services due to geoblocking (e.g. streaming providers).

The 3 choices I am considering right now are:
    1. Chinese VPS from the grey market (feel unsafe routing my traffic over a shady grey provider and the government gonna find out who I am anyway once I log into any Chinese account associated with me, so there is no need to hide my identity)
    2. Chinese VPS from official Chinese Cloud provider (requires ID check, I do have access to a Chinese passport though)
    3. Let a friend host the node lol (then I get closely associated with them which I want to avoid, as it might negatively impact them)

(For sensitive traffic I will be obviously using other services, this VPS is primarily only for smooth media stream and smooth banking and maybe occasional smooth webbrowsing)

Btw, I also heard (just this week) that China is planning on blocking OpenVPN and WireGuard… If that’s true and gets executed, everything is going to be even more tough urgh…

• @lowendtalkxdax said:

@haolun said:
    The Chinese government requires servers in mainland China to be filed in order to use ports 80 and 443. Otherwise it will be blocked. Internet speed from China to outside China is very fast, but outside China to China is usually very slow. This is due to the prioritization of lines by Chinese carriers. Therefore, you usually need to spend a large amount of money to buy a server in mainland China. However, if you buy a server in Hong Kong, China, it will be much cheaper. But please note that the connectivity from Hong Kong, China to mainland China on cheap servers is not good.

But I have indeed noticed the speed impact and packet loss when trying to access Chinese services using the default route from EU to China.

That’s why I am planning on getting a Chinese local VPS so that I can build a „Tunnel“ with a straight (and high quality) route from EU to China, so the people around me and I don’t have to worry about insane loading times of local Chinese websites.

I have thought about VPS in Hongkong, but those don’t seem to have full access to many services due to geoblocking (e.g. streaming providers).

1. Chinese VPS from the grey market (feel unsafe routing my traffic over a shady grey provider and the government gonna find out who I am anyway once I log into any Chinese account associated with me, so there is no need to hide my identity)
    2. Chinese VPS from official Chinese Cloud provider (requires ID check, I do have access to a Chinese passport though)
    3. Let a friend host the node lol (then I get closely associated with them which I want to avoid, as it might negatively impact them)

(For sensitive traffic I will be obviously using other services, this VPS is primarily only for smooth media stream and smooth banking and maybe occasional smooth webbrowsing)

Btw, I also heard (just this week) that China is planning on blocking OpenVPN and WireGuard… If that’s true and gets executed, everything is going to be even more tough urgh…

To be precise, OpenVPN and WireGuard agents for cross-border have been blocked for a long time. If you just want to try to distribute a specific business, you should consider a tls tunnel for avoidance. Both nginx or the forwarding software gost can achieve this.

If you are just trying to optimize the route from Europe to China, you can go to misaka.io to buy the vps of the cn2 route in Moscow, which should be one of the best solutions.

• @danblaze said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:

@haolun said:

To be precise, OpenVPN and WireGuard agents for cross-border have been blocked for a long time. If you just want to try to distribute a specific business, you should consider a tls tunnel for avoidance. Both nginx or the forwarding software gost can achieve this.

If you are just trying to optimize the route from Europe to China, you can go to misaka.io to buy the vps of the cn2 route in Moscow, which should be one of the best solutions.

Thank you! I will take a look onto that!

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited February 8

@Kousaka said:
    Won’t happen, you will need a local ID to buy mainland China servers as required by law. Your only option is to ask a local friend for help.

There are quite cheap servers though if you do not need high bandwidth, like a few Mbps.

Not true, you can do Alibaba Cloud real name registration with a foreign ID and get a mainland VPS.

• @danblaze I just found an direct connection (CN2 Route) at their website from Germany(Berlin) to China. Only 10.5usd/15usd for 500MB/1G RAM. Incredibly good price for my purpose. Gonna try it and test it out.

Thank you again 🙏!

• Just checked. Ping reduced from over 300ms to just 110ms. Goes from Berlin straight to Beijing(Peking) without any interruption.

Now I only need another Beijing VPS for its IP, to get around geoblocking.

• jayjayjayjay Member, Host Rep
    edited February 8

@lowendtalkxdax said:
    Hello fellow members,

I have read that connections to China are kind of tricky:
    1. Bandwidth is scarce at peak times.
    2. Quite a bit of packet loss.
    3. Within China there are separate networks since the 3 main providers each have their own infrastructure.

Does anyone of you own VPS in China and if you do, what would you recommend? Would also love to hear about experiences and tips, if you have.

(Will be using it mainly as a private Tailscale Node)

Thank you in advance!

Our Hong Kong NAT VMs have decent connectivity to China - these arent guaranteed routed of course as those come at a very high price point but this may suffice for you. We have clients from China who use this to connect externally, as NAT uses a Shared IPv4 so can change to avoid any blocks. We have other solutions available too e.g getting your own Dedicated line instead, which gives you your own Static or Dynamic IP. Ping me if you have any questions.

• @lowendtalkxdax said:
    Just checked. Ping reduced from over 300ms to just 110ms. Goes from Berlin straight to Beijing(Peking) without any interruption.

Now I only need another Beijing VPS for its IP, to get around geoblocking.

Yes congratulations, if your server or location is in Germany, that one will fit perfectly.

But servers within China are a bit tricky to get, I'm not sure you have a good idea. Mainly the real name issue, you may have to register through your passport to get a server located in Beijing from Tencent cloud, Ali cloud or something like that.

Good luck with that!