Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Without OS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Without OS ?

Hey guys, is there any possibility to get a vps without any OS?

[The reason I ask this seems stupid, but I want to get separate block storage, attach it to the vps, install ubuntu on it and do my things, then detach the storage from server, terminate the server, but keep the storage for future uses, is this even possible?] [Currently, when deploying servers on DO, vultr... they ask which OS you want to install and I don't know how to make them understand, I already have it in separate storage]

Comments

• Heard of snapshots?

• @amiremami said:

[The reason I ask this seems stupid, but I want to get separate block storage, attach it to the vps, install ubuntu on it and do my things, then detach the storage from server, terminate the server, but keep the storage for future uses, is this even possible?] [Currently, when deploying servers on DO, vultr... they ask which OS you want to install and I don't know how to make them understand, I already have it in separate storage]

we can provide

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@amiremami said:

Give me a PM. We can do this for you.
    Let me know what all specs you looking for and budget.
    We are here in Houston Texas.

• @amiremami said:

Oracle Cloud have something called Boot Volumes which is what you describe

Thanked by 2yoursunny 0xC7
  • frantech.ca offers exactly what you need. @Francisco

• Typically block storage will be too slow for an OS, why not look for a hourly VPS with reduced rate when it is shutdown?

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@Voigon said:
    why not look for a hourly VPS with reduced rate when it is shutdown?

I don't think I have seen this offered anywhere.. Do you have example of a provider that offers this?

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited February 7

@kevinds said: I don't think I have seen this offered anywhere.. Do you have example of a provider that offers this?

https://help.ovhcloud.com/csm/en-public-cloud-compute-shelve-pause-instance?id=kb_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0051262
    OVH for example :D

In OpenStack world it's called 'shelve' - it's dumping your disk to snapshot (another widely used keyword), stops the instance and you are "only" billed for snapshot aka disk space.

[And maybe for IP too - depending how providers have it configured - some just billing you for IP and let you re-use the same IP aka it's still tied to your shelved instance, some will give you new IP, some will let you decide]

Thanked by 10xC7
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Why not just stop the VPS until you need it?

• Lol I don't understand why you want to do this in the first place, you can have a server running for as low as 1euro/month why go trough all this, it will be cheaper to let it always running.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited February 7

@WhiteRoseG said:
    Lol I don't understand why you want to do this in the first place, you can have a server running for as low as 1euro/month why go trough all this, it will be cheaper to let it always running.

Because maybe he needs bigger VPS and not the 1€ one?
    Let's say you compute some data, every week, for 3h on 16 vCPU and 500GB data.
    Setting up bare system - install software, configure, run more scripts etc takes 3h, even with automation scripts, it's just time consuming.

If you snapshot initial setup you gonna pay only for 500GB disk which in long run probably gonna be cheaper and time effective than doing setup every week, not even gonna include time you need to find and fix all edge-cases in the setup process that fails (for example) after 2h and you need to start from scratch.

• @WhiteRoseG said:
    Lol I don't understand why you want to do this in the first place, you can have a server running for as low as 1euro/month why go trough all this, it will be cheaper to let it always running.

imagine if one advice ISO upload as creative storage solution

• @JabJab said:

@WhiteRoseG said:

Setting up bare system - install software, configure, run more scripts etc takes 3h, even with automation scripts, it's just time consuming.

If you snapshot initial setup you gonna pay only for 500GB disk which in long run probably gonna be cheaper and time effective than doing setup every week, not even gonna include time you need to find and fix all edge-cases in the setup process that fails (for example) after 2h and you need to start from scratch.

I understand but then he can better look for hourly billed vps with snapshot, Scaleway/Hetzner maybe because it doesn't make sense to run a distro on a block storage if he doesn't need a lot of compute power it's better to buy a cheap vps that's always running.

Thanked by 1host_c

@JabJab said:

In OpenStack world it's called 'shelve' - it's dumping your disk to snapshot (another widely used keyword), stops the instance and you are "only" billed for snapshot aka disk space.

[And maybe for IP too - depending how providers have it configured - some just billing you for IP and let you re-use the same IP aka it's still tied to your shelved instance, some will give you new IP, some will let you decide]

So not "shutdown".

If your VM is given a different IP when it comes back, it is definitely more than just "powered" off.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@kevinds said:

@Voigon said:
    why not look for a hourly VPS with reduced rate when it is shutdown?

I don't think I have seen this offered anywhere.. Do you have example of a provider that offers this?

@lentro is your boy.
    https://console.tensordock.com/deploy_cpu
    Cheapest option: running $0.0220/hour, stopped $0.0020/hour.

Thanked by 2BasToTheMax lentro

@yoursunny said:

Neat.

• nopro404nopro404 Member
    edited February 7

Lunanode is openstack on the backend and offers this. You deploy the VM with your block storage device. Been a while since I logged in there. Looks like they're just down to their Toronto data center

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

I understand your scenario with the VPS and block storage. Have you considered using Docker for this purpose? It might offer a simpler way to manage your environment without having to detach and attach storage. Just a thought

• @Maelstrom36 said:
    Heard of snapshots?

Hey, thanks : ) Yes, actually the thing I need is really similar to snapshot, except, I don't want to do snapshot/restore each time : )

• amiremamiamiremami Member
    edited February 9

@kenjing789 said:
    Oracle Cloud have something called Boot Volumes which is what you describe

Perfect, thanks, Yes I looked in to this and it seems it's similar to what I want, right now, I only found on Oracle and Scaleway.

• @Voigon said:
    Typically block storage will be too slow for an OS, why not look for a hourly VPS with reduced rate when it is shutdown?

Why do do you say so? Actually the block storage on scaleway is 15000 IOPS, faster than their local SSD with 5000 IOPS.

• @JabJab said:

@WhiteRoseG said:

Yes, you are completely right. I'm looking for this option, because I need to use powerful configuration but only for when I use it, but also save my info. I want to easily attach and detach the storage.

• @WhiteRoseG said:

@JabJab said:

@WhiteRoseG said:

I understand but then he can better look for hourly billed vps with snapshot, Scaleway/Hetzner maybe because it doesn't make sense to run a distro on a block storage if he doesn't need a lot of compute power it's better to buy a cheap vps that's always running.

Thanks a lot. Yes, actually till now, I only found the thing I need on Oracle and Scaleway.

I don't think that I can detach the SSD from server on Hetzner. I'm not looking for snapshot/restore option. I don't want to do this every time. I want to simply attach and detach the storage.

• @vsys_host said:
    I understand your scenario with the VPS and block storage. Have you considered using Docker for this purpose? It might offer a simpler way to manage your environment without having to detach and attach storage. Just a thought

Thanks a lot, unfortunately, I have not worked with docker. But I think I should snapshot it at the end, no?

• @nopro404 said:
    Lunanode is openstack on the backend and offers this. You deploy the VM with your block storage device. Been a while since I logged in there. Looks like they're just down to their Toronto data center

Ok, so let me tell you what I found, then please tell me if Lunanode is similar or no.

Right now, the closest thing I have found to what I need is Scaleway. Here is what I do:

I purchase an instance with ubuntu on 10 gb SSD (local/block)
    I install my scripts.
    I detach the SSD from the server.
    I terminate the server, so SSD will remain.

Next time that I need to work:
    I purchase another instance with ubuntu on 10 gb SSD (local/block)
    I detach the SSD from the server and delete it.
    I attach my previous SSD to this server.

Now, All my info is there and I can continue my work.

In my opinion, this process could be much smoother if Scaleway let me to choose a volume that I have from before, instead of the new storage it gives me by force and install ubuntu on it.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@amiremami said:

@vsys_host said:

Thanks a lot, unfortunately, I have not worked with docker. But I think I should snapshot it at the end, no?

There are a few ways to achieve your goal with Docker. One of the most classic methods is not using snapshots; instead, create a Dockerfile, push the Docker image to an external repository, and save all variable data on external storage. Other methods are more straightforward — you can use snapshots or place the whole /var/lib/docker directory on external storage. Anyway, this discussion is too broad for just a few answers in this thread. I suggest spending a few hours reading about Docker basics first — it's a really good tool for quick and configured OS deployments.

• @c1vhosting said:

@amiremami said:

we can provide

If customer is willing to wait up to ninety days*.

• @amiremami said:

this process could be much smoother if Scaleway let me to choose a volume that I have from before, instead of the new storage it gives me by force and install ubuntu on it.

Lunanode will will let you deploy directly with your existing block storage. No os install. You can even script it with like 3 lines and run a command to create the VM with your disk and start it.

• @nopro404 said:

@amiremami said:

this process could be much smoother if Scaleway let me to choose a volume that I have from before, instead of the new storage it gives me by force and install ubuntu on it.

Lunanode will will let you deploy directly with your existing block storage. No os install. You can even script it with like 3 lines and run a command to create the VM with your disk and start it.

I signed up there and checked it, it was exactly what I was looking for, thanks : ) Not sure why this simple feature can't be found easily on vps providers.

• aurologic also has seperate storage which can be attached and detached to vps