Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers, how do you handle bandwidth overages?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers, how do you handle bandwidth overages?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

My recent post about Vultr's rather gotcha bandwidth policy made me wonder how other providers handle bandwidth overages.

Do you...

• stop networking on the VM until the customer buys more bandwidth?
  • clock the VM's networking down to a low level until customer buys or a new month begins?
  • start charging on a per-GB or per-TB basis?
  • or...?
Thanked by 1commercial

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Every Antarctica IPv9 VPS comes with unlimited bandwidth.
    Thus, we never had to suspend/throttle anyone or charge overages.

Thanked by 2lnx Warkos
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

VMs:

• Limit them to 5Mbps until the next monthly quota (all automatic) or they contact us. On some occasions first time overagers can get some extra and a pass. We'll only do pre-paid on virtualized stuff, so only other alternative is upgrade bandwidth package.

Dedis:

• Charge per TB, invoice will be automatically generated and sent. Generally, contact us. Upping your pre-paid commit is significantly cheaper (and allows us to forecast and plan more accurately).
  • zGatozGato Member

@alwyzon will never leave his customers down with low monthly bandwidth or TB surcharges (if not opting to pay for it) by throttling the port to an insane 100Mbps

• virmache: suspend your vps, will not unsuspend even it's already in the next month reset (have to purchase the $3 bandwidth extension first)

kuroit: throttle to 5mbps

i haven't managed to hit bandwidth limit in other provider

• Even worse than Vultr: https://www.exoscale.com/pricing/#how-does-traffic-billing-work

Neven seen another provider using such a terrible bandwidth policy.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Hetzner just charges at 1 euro per tb.

Hetzner Cloud btw.

• netcup caps to 200 Mbps
    Servarica offers xTB Gbps with limiting to 10 Mbps afterwards or unlimited 100 Mbps
    Inception Hosting limits to 20 Mbps (or reserves the right to do)
    Hosthatch limits to 5 Mbps with an option to buy xTB additionally (if they manage to reply to your support ticket before 1st)

For me the most convenient is capping, as no extra charges can be applied and imho many providers do exactly that

Thanked by 1host_c
  • @yoursunny said:

It was funny the first couple of times

• emghemgh Member

@hosthatch what do you limit to now again? I remember (I think) that you recently upped the throttled speed?

• emghemgh Member

@Kousaka said:
    Even worse than Vultr: https://www.exoscale.com/pricing/#how-does-traffic-billing-work

Neven seen another provider using such a terrible bandwidth policy.

Wow

• kenjing789kenjing789 Member
    edited February 7

@berohost throttle to 100Mbps but after i tried it actually each way speed so 200Mbps
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3838501/#Comment_3838501
    @repuc throttle to 10Mbps after 100GB consume then throttle to scam after 3 weeks

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Good Topic @raindog308

We have 2 type of services, Limited and Unlimited. Unlimited ones are, well, unlimited :smiley: and those are on a shared pool with others QOS wise.

High abuse case on Unlimited, we only had a few and we managed to get on track with the customer, for now :smiley:

Services that have Limited BW will be throttled down to 200 MBPS or 100MBPS depending on the type of service.

We personally do not believe in cutting down the service or leaving the customer stranded at 10MBPS, also invoicing the extra BW without consent from the customer is definitely a no-go.

We have the option to the customer that he can increase the Monthly BW if he opens a ticket, and we create an invoice for that. This can be a permanent case of increased BW or a temporary for X number of months.

From our experience, most are happy on 100 MBPS or 200 MBPS until the end of the month. :smiley:

• @emgh said:
    @hosthatch what do you limit to now again? I remember (I think) that you recently upped the throttled speed?

you get boinked down to 5mbit unmetered after using it all.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@darkimmortal said:

@yoursunny said:

It was funny the first couple of times

We'll have IPv69 soon™️.

• we send fax on over usage. $7/megabyte (1000 bits, rounded). overdue payment collection costs excluded with a fixed fee (see tos paragraph 42)

Thanked by 1host_c
  • lnxlnx Member, Patron Provider

We limit the port speed to 10mbit after the traffic is exceeded. You shouldn't need to bust out the calculus to figure out the billing.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Some companies will bump speeds down, others bill, others turn you off.

We typically don't care unless it's really going crazy and will say something first and worse case limit it or charge more. Most times working with the customer is the best option vs screwing them over.

That also depends on colo vs dedicated as well as colocation is mostly not nearly as profitable as servers so they typically pay per Mbps.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

On VPS:
    We limit you to 5Mbps after you hit your limit. Our limits are higher than most providers, so usually its not an issue. We tend to give the most cores/memory/storage/bw on this forum!

On Colo, Dedicated Servers & VDS:
    All our servers are 1Gbps Unmetered by default. We don't limit anything here. Each rack has 10Gbps which is plenty of BW for all clients in the rack.

Thanks,
    Ryan

• shruubshruub Member
    edited February 7

I like that you specifically target providers, and most of the people aren't providers. And yeah, I contribute to that. I can only say that on my ISP provided connection, I have unlimited bandwidth. You're welcome, feel free to include it in a LEB post, I'll probably read it WAIT YOU ALREADY MADE A POST

Edit:

That's how I expect the average lowenduser to be.

Edit 2: wno emebd

• Just charge the customer overage charges after exhausting his alloted monthly quota.

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

The cost is contingent on the bandwidth price.

In certain budget regions, we won't suspend a customer's VM but will restrict its port to approximately 10Mbps.

For regions with premium bandwidth, we'll suspend the customer's VM for bandwidth overages.

However, all customers can purchase extra bandwidth at an additional cost to lift the suspension.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

I don't charge for overages.

Thanked by 2host_c yoursunny
  • keoirkeoir Member, Host Rep

We don't charge for overage, mainly just monitor the network using network intelligence and limit the ports/ VMs for network abuse if they sustain massive usage over a certain time window.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    • Dedicated Servers and Colocation: When a client is a few TB over the limit once every couple of months, then its no big deal. If Traffic overuse happens frequently or for very new/short term clients, then typically a Port Speed Cap is applied and a ticket is opened with the client. Most of the time its possible to work out a solution that is favorable for everyone involved, as everything is looked at on a case by case basis.

• For WebHosting: There is a bandwidth allowance/grace feature. If its constantly over the limit, the clients typically get the option to upgrade to a plan that suits their needs better.

• For VPS KVM: Bandwith Cap (or Suspension) with the option to buy more traffic. Depending on the product.

• For VPS (LXC) its typically VPS suspension with the option to buy more traffic.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Clock the VM's networking down to a low level until customer buys or a new month begins

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

In the past, many customers used to be concerned about incurring extra charges for using too much bandwidth. But with our VPS service, we provide unmetered traffic for all servers, following "fair play" terms. There have been only a few cases where users have not adhered to these terms, usually by utilizing the full port capacity 24/7. Anyway we do not charged them for overusage and just asked them to go some other providers or downgrade their utilisation.

For dedicated servers, we currently offer a 30 TB monthly traffic limit, which can be increased upon customer request for an additional monthly fee.