Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huawei Claims They Have Something Better Than The Linux Kernel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Huawei Claims They Have Something Better Than The Linux Kernel

Tony40Tony40 Member

Huawei is known for its interesting innovations in smartphone tech. So, it is an intriguing claim.

Announced during an event where Yu Chengdong, the CEO of Huawei's Consumer Business Group, unveiled what HarmonyOS NEXT would offer. He said that their company had made “a true OS this time which installs full-stack self-developed technologies and doesn't rely upon the U.S. traditional Linux cores”.

As for the Harmony kernel, Yu added that it uses a “heterogeneous native-like” mechanism to offer a smooth experience, and that the Harmony kernel implementation for HarmonyOS NEXT is three times more memory efficient than Linux.

https://news.itsfoss.com/huawei-harmonyos-linux-kernel/

Thanked by 1raindog308

Comments

• Closed source kernel with a small amount of open source components....

• @Moopah said:
    Closed source kernel with a small amount of open source components....

OpenHarmony (OHOS), is an open-source version of HarmonyOS donated by Huawei to the OpenAtom Foundation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenHarmony

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • emghemgh Member
    edited February 5

@Moopah said:
    Closed source kernel with a small amount of open source components....

Really?

Edit: Seems it might or might not be open🫂

• emghemgh Member

I’m too lazy to research this. I’ll come back once it’s established if it’s open or not.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • LeviLevi Member

Kernel with CDR always on all seeing eye. What can go wrong.

Thanked by 2host_c xvps
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@Levi said:
    Kernel with CDR always on all seeing eye. What can go wrong.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • I guess they're going back further than just ripping off Apple... in a few years, maybe they'll reinvent the phone boxes Woz made in college.

Thanked by 12oldheroes
  • Huawei is known for its interesting innovations in smartphone tech

lol . lamo , even in china , huawei is known of rabid PR campaigns of false advertisements/exaggerations and cover all their shit up with fascist tier "patriotism " , did they finally managed to .who are you trying to gaslight , shinajin

• I highly doubt it...

• edited February 6

@Tony40 said: Huawei is known for its interesting innovations in smartphone tech.

I don't think employees who know themselves may be jailed by their company will be innovative.
    Huawei employee wrongfully jailed for 251 days
    996.icu

• Does it report back all usage activity to the mothership in Beijing?

• just bull shit, everybody know they jut remove gms and put they're app store in android and say them made a new os lol

• With tons of developers' devotion to make linux a better kernel,a company can archieve this miracle alone?But if Huawei leads some amazing innovations,that's their really contribution to the open-source world.