Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Cheap-ish Server with 2x 10TB HDD in EU ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Cheap-ish Server with 2x 10TB HDD in EU ?

AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

Hi there,

Looking for a cheap-ish server in EU with 2x 10 TB HDD (hw raid preferred, but software is also fine).
Even if not required really, 1 Gbps+ speed would be appreciated.
IPMI/iLO/iDRAC is a must.
CPU/RAM, cand be as low as a quad-core with 8 GB RAM.

Bare metal only please.

Won't make too much of a traffic, will be using it mostly to store some backup of a backup server (aka won't be a main backup server).

Thanks.

Comments

• zGatozGato Member
    Thanked by 1Calin
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@zGato said:
    @Calin :D

Well... forgot to mention that I'd like a provider, so by definition no Calin, FlorinMarian, c1vhosting ... etc.

Thanked by 2Calin sasslik
  • Well... forgot to mention that I'd like a provider, so by definition no Calin, FlorinMarian, c1vhosting ... etc.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice in this field. Aren't these providers as well? What "provider" do you consider a provider?

• remyremy Member
    edited February 5

@alciregi said:

Well... forgot to mention that I'd like a provider, so by definition no Calin, FlorinMarian, c1vhosting ... etc.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice in this field. Aren't these providers as well? What "provider" do you consider a provider?

A company that doesn't host its servers in the toilet.

A company that uses a well-known datacenter and for which it is possible to obtain all the characteristics of the building.

• @alciregi said:

He means hosting providers that actually host their servers and equipment in a proper Data Center. Having racks and servers placed in living rooms, basement or garage, does not count.

Thanked by 2alciregi Andreix
  • Hetzner auction
    Your order:
    1 x Dedicated Root Server "Server Auction"
    * AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    * 2x HDD SATA 10 TB Enterprise
    * 2x RAM 32768 MB DDR4 ECC
    * Rescue system (English)
    * 1 x Primary IPv4
    Got this for €42 couple months ago, not sure if there’s still in stock.

• layer7layer7 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Andreix said:
    Hi there,

Looking for a cheap-ish server in EU with 2x 10 TB HDD (hw raid preferred, but software is also fine).

Bare metal only please.

Won't make too much of a traffic, will be using it mostly to store some backup of a backup server (aka won't be a main backup server).

Thanks.

Hi,

1x Intel Xeon E5-2630Lv3 or higher
    32 GB RAM
    1x 120 GB SSD or higher
    2x 16 TB HDD ( next smallest is 6 TB )
    1 Gbit/s
    Supermicro IPMI access
    50 TB traffic included

Price per month: 99,- EUR without VAT ( ~ 105 USD )

or as an alternative:

https://layer7.net/proxmox-backup

Thats an account on a proxmox backup server.

Downside would be that you are bound to linux operating systems.

Upside would be that you just pay 29,90 EUR per month + small one time setup

• and that its already N+1 space ( so you dont need to take care about redundancy )
    • and that you are connected with 10G for the germany - Frankfurt locations and the france - Paris location
    • and that the traffic is included

In general you are also more flexible. You could start with 1-2 TB space and just upgrade as you go.

Theoretically you could also do that with the physical servers, as we can modify them for you as you need them. But that would be more action and cause more manual workload to us and this way maybe provoke a setup fee for hardware changes.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Hi,
    We have this config available in Frankfurt

EPYC 3151
    2x 8TB HDD
    32GB DDR4 REG ECC
    1 GBit/s Uplink @ 50TB
    IPMI

79€ per month

Thanked by 1Andreix
    edited February 5

@marquelin said:
    Hetzner auction
    Your order:
    * AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    * 1 x Primary IPv4

Hetzner is a nice provider indeed, but I faced a lot of issues with network capping which they won't ever admit they do, but instead blame it on poor software or mgmt.
    Same issues with OVH.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 5

@Andreix said:
    Hi there,

Bare metal only please.

Thanks.

Can build you (special) something with an e3v3 in vienna or amsterdam

Example Build - vienna (softraid, mirror):
    e3-1230v3 - 32gb - 2x 10TB hdd - 25TB @ 1G, IPMI: Yes ...70 Euro /month (ex VAT).

Example Build - amsterdam (4 disks -> raidz1):
    e3-1230v3 - 32gb - 4x 4TB hdd - 25TB @ 1G, IPMI: Yes ...65 Euro /month (ex VAT).

Personally i would prefer you deploy in vienna, but hey, we got options :)
    Lead time is about a week in both cases, as its a custom build.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • @Andreix said:

@marquelin said:
    Hetzner auction
    Your order:
    * AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    * 1 x Primary IPv4

Hetzner is a nice provider indeed, but I faced a lot of issues with network capping which they won't ever admit they do, but instead blame it on poor software or mgmt.
    Same issues with OVH.

What do you mean by network capping? I've always been able to hit a gigabit to every destination I've wanted to reach, and have pushed 1gig up/down 24/7 for a few months before with zero issues. Genuinely confused by this.

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@marquelin said:
    Hetzner auction
    Your order:
    * AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    * 1 x Primary IPv4

Same issues with OVH.

What do you mean by network capping? I've always been able to hit a gigabit to every destination I've wanted to reach, and have pushed 1gig up/down 24/7 for a few months before with zero issues. Genuinely confused by this.

Well... after few months all destinations/sources worked flawlessly, only towards the server IP to/which I made traffic was like 2-3MB/s....
    And no, it was not the "other end's fault" since I was the other end. As soon as I changed the IP network speeds were back to normal for ~2weeks.

• @Andreix said:

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@marquelin said:
    Hetzner auction
    Your order:
    * AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    * 1 x Primary IPv4

Same issues with OVH.

Well... after few months all destinations/sources worked flawlessly, only towards the server IP to/which I made traffic was like 2-3MB/s....
    And no, it was not the "other end's fault" since I was the other end. As soon as I changed the IP network speeds were back to normal for ~2weeks.

Super weird, never heard of something like that before. Really unfortunate :(

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@marquelin said:
    Hetzner auction
    Your order:
    * AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    * 1 x Primary IPv4

Same issues with OVH.

Well yeah...
    I'm not saying they did it on purpose, but surely they didn't care either to take a look and see what's wrong.

• @Andreix said:

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@marquelin said:
    Hetzner auction
    Your order:
    * AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    * 1 x Primary IPv4

Same issues with OVH.

Well yeah...
    I'm not saying they did it on purpose, but surely they didn't care either to take a look and see what's wrong.

Yeah that's the issue with Hetzner, everything is so automated that if you have a specific problem there's no way to get them to look into it. Did you check if they were routing differently to that one IP? Was the new IP from a different block? I've seen them change routing to cheaper carriers on some of my subnets when I was doing a lot of traffic to them, that might have been the case here (and something got messed up along the line)

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@marquelin said:
    Hetzner auction
    Your order:
    * AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    * 1 x Primary IPv4

Same issues with OVH.

Well yeah...

Yeah that's the issue with Hetzner, everything is so automated that if you have a specific problem there's no way to get them to look into it. Did you check if they were routing differently to that one IP? Was the new IP from a different block? I've seen them change routing to cheaper carriers on some of my subnets when I was doing a lot of traffic to them, that might have been the case here (and something got messed up along the line)

Nothing changed in the routing path (tbh, I think it was the only path possible at the time). It was just some sort of IP-based limit, which occurred again after ~2weeks since the IP change.

• @Andreix said:

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@fluffernutter said:

@Andreix said:

@marquelin said:
    Hetzner auction
    Your order:
    * AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    * 1 x Primary IPv4

Same issues with OVH.

Well yeah...

Nothing changed in the routing path (tbh, I think it was the only path possible at the time). It was just some sort of IP-based limit, which occurred again after ~2weeks since the IP change.

that's so odd! I'll pay attention to my network and see if they start doing this to any of my IPs. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • MrRetslavMrRetslav Member, Host Rep

Feel free to PM me so we can discuss a custom server in Amsterdam or NYC.

Thanked by 1Andreix
    edited February 5

@layer7 said:

@Andreix said:
    Hi there,

Bare metal only please.

Thanks.

Hi,

32 GB RAM
    1x 120 GB SSD or higher
    1 Gbit/s
    Supermicro IPMI access
    50 TB traffic included

or as an alternative:

• and that its already N+1 space ( so you dont need to take care about redundancy )
    • and that you are connected with 10G for the germany - Frankfurt locations and the france - Paris location

In general you are also more flexible. You could start with 1-2 TB space and just upgrade as you go.

Theoretically you could also do that with the physical servers, as we can modify them for you as you need them. But that would be more action and cause more manual workload to us and this way maybe provoke a setup fee for hardware changes.

Quick question...
    I tried to order your 1st plan here for a personal nextcloud: https://layer7.net/storage-server
    While on the page it says 2CPUs, the WHMCS cart only allows 1CPU... is that an issue or that's how it is supposed to be?

Thanks!

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@Andreix said:

@layer7 said:

@Andreix said:
    Hi there,

Bare metal only please.

Thanks.

Hi,

32 GB RAM
    1x 120 GB SSD or higher
    1 Gbit/s
    Supermicro IPMI access
    50 TB traffic included

or as an alternative:

Quick question...
    I tried to order your 1st plan here for a personal nextcloud: https://layer7.net/storage-server
    While on the page it says 2CPUs, the WHMCS cart only allows 1CPU... is that an issue or that's how it is supposed to be?

Thanks!

Would also be interested in this as the other plans also show different CPU numbers, and could be interested in a plan.

@Andreix said:

Quick question...

Thanks!

Hi,

thanks for the hint! Fixed the CPU stuff!

I also saw, that the offer is actually about up to 3 storage disks with each up to 30 TB, but the order form will only give 1 disk with up to 10 TB....

Who ever added this to the shop was maybe too afraid of that huge disks ˆˆ; We will fix that aswell.

Thanked by 1Andreix

@iKeyZ said:

Would also be interested in this as the other plans also show different CPU numbers, and could be interested in a plan.

Hi,

... mymymy thats really f*** up... Server Advanced lacks of basically everything...

I will fix this now...

Thanked by 2iKeyZ Andreix

@layer7 said:

@Andreix said:

Quick question...

Thanks!

Hi,

thanks for the hint! Fixed the CPU stuff!

I also saw, that the offer is actually about up to 3 storage disks with each up to 30 TB, but the order form will only give 1 disk with up to 10 TB....

Who ever added this to the shop was maybe too afraid of that huge disks ˆˆ; We will fix that aswell.

Thanks a lot! Placed the order. :)

• that's just hetzner with extra steps

@fluffernutter said:

that's just hetzner with extra steps

LoL 😂😂

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • @fluffernutter said:

Hetzner, but without the need for KYC and purchasing stuff you will never use, just for the HDD.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • @sillycat said:

@fluffernutter said:

Hetzner, but without the need for KYC and purchasing stuff you will never use, just for the HDD.

Network is the same, and I guess Hetzner hates @Andreix or something

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@layer7 said:

@iKeyZ said:

Hi,

... mymymy thats really f*** up... Server Advanced lacks of basically everything...

I will fix this now...

For info - all seems to be sorted now apart from this one on FRA (CPU);

@iKeyZ said:

For info - all seems to be sorted now apart from this one on FRA (CPU);

Hi,

aaand this is fixed now too. Thank you!

Thanked by 1iKeyZ