Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AnyDesk Hacked: Popular Remote Desktop Software Mandates Password Reset
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AnyDesk Hacked: Popular Remote Desktop Software Mandates Password Reset

Remote desktop software maker AnyDesk disclosed on Friday that it suffered a cyber attack that led to a compromise of its production systems.

The German company said the incident, which it discovered following a security audit, is not a ransomware attack and that it has notified relevant authorities.

"We have revoked all security-related certificates and systems have been remediated or replaced where necessary," the company said in a statement. "We will be revoking the previous code signing certificate for our binaries shortly and have already started replacing it with a new one."

Out of an abundance of caution, AnyDesk has also revoked all passwords to its web portal, my.anydesk[.]com, and it's urging users to change their passwords if the same passwords have been reused on other online services.

https://thehackernews.com/2024/02/anydesk-hacked-popular-remote-desktop.html?m=1

Thanked by 3hyperblast xvps titus

Comments

• hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited February 3

can't find a single word about this on their (german) website!!!
    also no information on instagram and x.

• Much better alternative, much faster if compare to anydesk. Free, you can host own server, and so on. I really love it: https://rustdesk.com/

Thanked by 1Pixels
  • @farsighter said: Out of an abundance of caution, AnyDesk has also revoked all passwords to its web portal, my.anydesk[.]com, and it's urging users to change their passwords if the same passwords have been reused on other online services.

This is missing the most obvious thing - update the client :D They revoked sign-certs, we can assume that older builds are compromised.

• @hyperblast said:

There is something in English, but I have no idea how you navigate to this... so no idea how to check in DE :D
    https://anydesk.com/en/public-statement

• the company's communication on the incident is subterranean!

• @JabJab said:

@hyperblast said:

There is something in English, but I have no idea how you navigate to this... so no idea how to check in DE :D
    https://anydesk.com/en/public-statement

i found that too. but you can't get to the page via the en/de home page. your link is on the hackernews article.

• XedonXedon Member

@desperand said:
    Much better alternative, much faster if compare to anydesk. Free, you can host own server, and so on. I really love it: https://rustdesk.com/

if you only need the basic features yes

Thanked by 1bdl
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Wondering the extent of the data that was compromised.

• @Xedon said:

@desperand said:
    Much better alternative, much faster if compare to anydesk. Free, you can host own server, and so on. I really love it: https://rustdesk.com/

which "not basic" features are you talking about?
    I've rolled up automated setup of KVM with GUI and this rustdesk installed out the box with their cli feature where you can set via bash pass/id/whatever

The only awful thing about this app -> wayland.

• XedonXedon Member

@desperand said:

@Xedon said:

@desperand said:

which "not basic" features are you talking about?
    I've rolled up automated setup of KVM with GUI and this rustdesk installed out the box with their cli feature where you can set via bash pass/id/whatever

The only awful thing about this app -> wayland.

Don't get me wrong, RustDesk is great software that I also use privately and enjoy. By "not basic," I mean features that a company might need, such as managing individual user accounts, 2FA, session recordings, better access restriction options, mobile device management... (yes, I know some of these features are available for a fee with RustDesk).

However, the HopToDesk fork provides some of these features (at least currently) for free, making it a potentially interesting alternative.

Well, the Wayland problem is also present with other software, so I wouldn't solely blame RustDesk for that :D

• @Xedon said: Don't get me wrong, RustDesk is great software that I also use privately and enjoy. By "not basic," I mean features that a company might need, such as managing individual user accounts, 2FA, session recordings, better access restriction options, mobile device management... (yes, I know some of these features are available for a fee with RustDesk).

However, the HopToDesk fork provides some of these features (at least currently) for free, making it a potentially interesting alternative.

Well, the Wayland problem is also present with other software, so I wouldn't solely blame RustDesk for that

wew, did not knew that so much requirements for so simple tool. Thank you for sharing, i was really curious.

• lpnlpn Member
    edited March 5

And now Anydesk doesn't allow connections from free accounts to iOS/iPadOS devices :(
    Any suggestions for free or cheap alternatives for low usage?

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

@lpn said:
    And now Anydesk doesn't allow connections from free accounts to iOS/iPadOS devices :(

jumpdesktop

Just need to buy the ios app

• Why not use Teamviewer ?

• lpnlpn Member

@lonea said:

@lpn said:

jumpdesktop

Just need to buy the ios app

This seems to be to connecting from iOS devices, not to them

• lpnlpn Member

@aakashmishra007 said:
    Why not use Teamviewer ?

They are unpredictable in terms of claiming commercial usage

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited March 6

@lpn said:

@aakashmishra007 said:
    Why not use Teamviewer ?

AnyDesk seems to recently have followed TeamViewer's path in flagging supposed commercial usage.

• lpnlpn Member

@JosephF said:

@lpn said:

@aakashmishra007 said:
    Why not use Teamviewer ?

AnyDesk seems to recently have followed TeamViewer's path in flagging supposed commercial usage.

That too, but not just that. Even without being labeled as using it commercially, one can't connect to iOS/iPadOS devices.

• @lpn said: Anydesk doesn't allow connections from free accounts to iOS/iPadOS devices

AnyDesk offers a Lite version for free that allows connections to iOS and iPadOS devices you can also try Microsoft Remote Desktop or Chrome Remote Desktop or Splashtop Remote Desktop.

• lpnlpn Member

@greenhost_cloud said:

@lpn said: Anydesk doesn't allow connections from free accounts to iOS/iPadOS devices

AnyDesk offers a Lite version for free that allows connections to iOS and iPadOS devices you can also try Microsoft Remote Desktop or Chrome Remote Desktop or Splashtop Remote Desktop.

There is no Lite version of AnyDesk that I can find. Could you refer to any information about it on their website. The Free version provides support for connecting from iOS/iPadOS devices but since the update from about 2 weeks ago one cannot connect to iOS/iPadOS devices.

Unless I am missing something both Microsoft Remote Desktop and Chrome Remote Desktop have iOS/iPadOS clients, but one cannot connect to iOS/iPadOS devices from them.

Splashtop is free only within the local network. Their cheaper version seems to allow access to computers only.

• Hi, I suggest you take a look at Any Desk help Center
    Due to vendor restrictions, remote controlling iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS devices is not currently possible.

Furthermore, a paid outgoing client is required to connect to iOS/iPadOS devices.

Here is the link: https://support.anydesk.com/knowledge/anydesk-for-ios-ipados-tvos

• lpnlpn Member

@greenhost_cloud said:
    Hi, I suggest you take a look at Any Desk help Center
    Due to vendor restrictions, remote controlling iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS devices is not currently possible.

Furthermore, a paid outgoing client is required to connect to iOS/iPadOS devices.

Here is the link: https://support.anydesk.com/knowledge/anydesk-for-ios-ipados-tvos

I saw it, that is why I am looking for free/cheap alternatives for occasional use.

• lpnlpn Member

Looks like that there are no suggestions for free or reasonably priced (for occasional use) alternatives that allow screen sharing of iOS/iPadOS devices :(

• edited March 13

@lpn said:
    Looks like that there are no suggestions for free or reasonably priced (for occasional use) alternatives that allow screen sharing of iOS/iPadOS devices :(

Zoho Assist.
    But I prefer AnyDesk (Only for iPad, just for guided troubleshooting on my parents devices).
    For other devices I use other tools.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@lowendtalkxdax said:

@lpn said:

Zoho Assist.
    But I prefer AnyDesk (Only for iPad, just for guided troubleshooting on my parents devices).
    For other devices I use other tools.

Zoho Assist doesn't seem to be free.

• edited March 13

@JosephF said:

Huh, on the German pricing page of Zoho Assist there is a free tier. When changing the language to English, this option disappeared.

Kostenloser Tarif
    1 Techniker für Remote-Support
    5 unbeaufsichtigte Computer
    Instant-Chat
    Desktop-App
    UAC-kompatibel
    Gemeinsame Zwischenablage
    Mac-Support
    Verwaltung von Benutzer:innen
    Zoho Desk-Integration
    Zoho SalesIQ-Integration
    Unternehmensrollen
    1 gleichzeitige Sitzung

Restriction: Only 1 active session allowed, max. 5 clients total. Only 1 account.

• lpnlpn Member

@lowendtalkxdax said:

How much do you pay for it? Now it seems to require at least Solo account, which is EUR 12.90/month x 12 months + VAT, or total of almost EUR 200/year. For me it doesn't make sense to pay that much for using it only few times per year. It would be different if I needed AnyDesk for something else that would generate more usage, but I have no other use case for it.

• lpnlpn Member

@lowendtalkxdax said:

@JosephF said:

Huh, on the German pricing page of Zoho Assist there is a free tier. When changing the language to English, this option disappeared.

Kostenloser Tarif
    Instant-Chat
    Desktop-App
    UAC-kompatibel
    Mac-Support
    Zoho Desk-Integration
    Zoho SalesIQ-Integration
    Unternehmensrollen
    1 gleichzeitige Sitzung

Restriction: Only 1 active session allowed, max. 5 clients total. Only 1 account.

I see free option here (language set to English)
    https://www.zoho.com/assist/plan-comparison.html
    but it doesn't have mobile device support. Even the Standard plan doesn't have it.

• I have always used AnyDesk without an account lol. Just start it and type in the ID of the remote device.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@lpn said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:

@JosephF said:

Kostenloser Tarif
    Instant-Chat
    Desktop-App
    UAC-kompatibel
    Mac-Support
    Zoho Desk-Integration
    Zoho SalesIQ-Integration
    Unternehmensrollen
    1 gleichzeitige Sitzung

I see free option here (language set to English)
    https://www.zoho.com/assist/plan-comparison.html
    but it doesn't have mobile device support. Even the Standard plan doesn't have it.

If you choose the free option, on the next screen or only offers to "start 15 day trial".