Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ipv6 route object/RPKI ( Will pay for the help )
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ipv6 route object/RPKI ( Will pay for the help )

dhruva21stuffdhruva21stuff Member
edited February 3 in Help

Hi,

I need help with RPKI + object route ( confusing )

Well, I got my ASN registration done and ipv6 block rented from an LIR.

now, I'm doing co-location at london but DC company asking me to RPKI and object route to their ASN. :(

Does it mean, it will show their ASN information on my ipb6 block if someone checks in?

Please help.

Comments

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

Just ask your DC to announce/Tag your ASN and make sure your IPv6 RPKI record is set for your ASN

• bethpbethp Member, Host Rep
    edited February 3

@dhruva21stuff said:
    Hi,

now, I'm doing co-location at london but DC company asking me to RPKI and object route to their ASN. :(

Does it mean, it will show their ASN information on my ipb6 block if someone checks in?

Please help.

What this means is that it has a valid route6 object for your AS and also that it will have a valid ROA certificate be it if you host your own Krill server and have the LIR delegate ROA to you or ask the LIR they will most likely run their own ROA server and can at the correct record that would make your prefix valid, the IRR/Route6 may not be needed but best to have it.

For an idea check our prefix here and see it is RPKI valid as we host our own Krill and have added an ROA prefix https://bgp.tools/prefix/2001:67c:d84::/48#validation

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

It's most effective to pay your LIR for help.
    The LIR has account access and can directly help you create necessary database objects.

@dhruva21stuff said:

Yes, if the route6 object says someone else's ASN, that ASN would be able to announce the route.

• I'm confused, currently my ipv6 block says my ASN details, how can i ask DC to use my Ipv6 without changing my ASN?

• XedonXedon Member

@dhruva21stuff said:
    I'm confused, currently my ipv6 block says my ASN details, how can i ask DC to use my Ipv6 without changing my ASN?

I already replied to your DM request, but here again for everyone. Maybe it will help someone else.

Here are several options now:

• You receive your own BGP session from the data center to your router (using your ASN)
    • The data center announces the network for you (using the data center's ASN)
    • The data center announces the network for you as a virtual AS (using your ASN)

Once the question of how the network should be announced is clarified, you go to the RIPE website:

While it may not be (unfortunately) mandatory everywhere, even if your data center doesn't require it, please create a Route Origin Authorization (ROA). The video should help you. The RIPE hosted version is also very straightforward:

Thanked by 1host_c
  • @Xedon said:

Thanks for the help but my problem is bit different.

I don't own hardware/router or anything in physical.

I have IPv6 block linked with my Own ASN and I rented dedicated server from hosting company and want them to use my ipv6 block with my asn of course so that it will showcase my ASN registration details.

Now, the point is what should i ask with hosting company? BGP session or anything else ? to link my ipv6 block with their server

• XedonXedon Member
    edited February 4

@dhruva21stuff said:

@Xedon said:

Thanks for the help but my problem is bit different.

I don't own hardware/router or anything in physical.

I have IPv6 block linked with my Own ASN and I rented dedicated server from hosting company and want them to use my ipv6 block with my asn of course so that it will showcase my ASN registration details.

Now, the point is what should i ask with hosting company? BGP session or anything else ? to link my ipv6 block with their server

If you just want to learn or have fun, ask your Hoster for a BGP session and then experimenting with a software router like VyOS.

For production use, I would suggest asking your hosting provider what they can do. Perhaps they can announce prefixes and AS on your behalf. With Juniper (for example), I think this can be achieved using an "as-path-expand" policy.
    However, I would say most hosting providers unfortunately do not offer this service to customers. They either announce it under their ASN or rent out a virtual router instance.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@dhruva21stuff said:
    Hi,

Please help.

The easiest solution would be to ask DC for a BGP session with your server and install and configure quagga or bird daemon on your server.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@vsys_host said:

@dhruva21stuff said:
    Hi,

Please help.

The easiest solution would be to ask DC for a BGP session with your server and install and configure quagga or bird daemon on your server.

It should work!