Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How ask for maintance for nextcloud?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How ask for maintance for nextcloud?

I receive a request an installation and maintance of nexcloud. Installation part isnt a problem but how can I esthimate maintance and update?

I never use nextcloud for so long time..

Comments

• Wrong category. Should be Help.

Thanked by 1chiccorosso
  • Hello Nextcloud,

May I please have maintenance?

Thanks

something like that im thinking..

• @akaemu said:
    Hello Nextcloud,

May I please have maintenance?

Thanks

something like that im thinking..

I think he wants to know how much he should ask to do it but then i'm not really all that sure either... like at all.

Thanked by 2akaemu chiccorosso
  • didtavdidtav Member
    edited February 2

for a non native English speaker like me, this is confusing.
    updating is easy either from web or via command line

• Some ideas:

1. Calculate using your hourly rate and estimate. For example, if your hourly rate is USD 100 and the update/maintenance takes around an hour each month, you can charge USD 1200 per year.
    2. Calculate using the total project sum. When managing a project for a client, it's acceptable to include a maintenance cost of around 20%, afaik.
  • Do you do any additional stuff too wrt maintenance? Like monitoring and/or backups for instance?

If no, I'd say that Nextcloud can be maintained with less than an hour per month (it is really set it and forget imho, depending on your setup)
    Docker might be much easier to upgrade, system upgrades work most of the time flawlessly as well (in addition to the Nextcloud updater)
    If you need to maintain a DB cluster with replicated storage and Nextcloud instances then it's much higher maintenance (wrt load balancers and stuff), specifically in the regards of failures.

Nextcloud updater often requires you to rebuild the database index, so depending on the user base this requires some time as well

My personal instance is super low maintenance, maybe once/twice a month I spend 15-30 minutes, often less. I'm on Deb 12 with a single MariaDB instance

Thanked by 1chiccorosso
  • I don't know how much cost in time update nextcloud if it's easy like wordpress or a just bit complex like magento! This is what I ask.

Of course I offers dedicated server and backup systems. Client hasn't big request..just talk and suitecrm.

At moment I do hourly rate.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 4

If you plan to do this for a client, my advice would be to first making yourself familiar with Nextcloud/the software before offering maintenance for it. This could severe your (otherwhise good?) client relationship, if things go wrong.

Another idea would be to refer them to a hosted Nextcloud instance, or see if you can manage Nextcloud via Softaculous: https://www.softaculous.com/apps/files/Nextcloud

• Hi @Ympker yes I see softaculous. I know from many years..
    ilthe client try ionos nextcloud but dont work talk.. i see even hetzner but still not reply about talk module configurations if is included.

I see nextcloud has Great community, Reddit and its very popular!

Thanked by 1Ympker