Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί Is this disk safe to use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this disk safe to use?

SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning: 0x00
Temperature: 40 Celsius
Available Spare: 100%
Available Spare Threshold: 26%
Percentage Used: 13%
Data Units Read: 7,199,266,076 [3.68 PB]
Data Units Written: 6,438,854,224 [3.29 PB]
Host Read Commands: 374,062,275,917
Host Write Commands: 206,081,428,003
Controller Busy Time: 78,931
Power Cycles: 4
Power On Hours: 13,322
Unsafe Shutdowns: 0
Media and Data Integrity Errors: 0
Error Information Log Entries: 53
Warning Comp. Temperature Time: 0
Critical Comp. Temperature Time: 0

I want to use it on production, but not sure.
I also can send more info if you want.

SSD MODEL: KCD71RUG3T84

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 31

It's heavily used, but it's also a heavy duty enterprise SSD, and by its own assessment it says only 13% used, or in other words health state is 87% good, so it should be fine. Also no spare blocks have been utilized, which means there is no degradation or damage in the flash so far.

• APIAPI Member

I don't think it's going to explode anytime soon.

Thanked by 1Zreind
  • This disk can't be trusted. It's not human. It doesn't feel any pain.

• @totally_not_banned said: This disk can't be trusted. It's not human.

Isn't this one reason more to be trusted? :P

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • glancing at the specs from googling the model number, I would trust in production, at least if you're only talking about not having it fail/take an outage right away. If you're asking because you're not properly backing stuff up and don't want to potentially lose data, then I say don't trust it even if it was brand new or any other drive/manufacture.

• Is this disk safe to use?

Dunno, do u have family plans

• if there are relocated sector counts then throw it away

• thanethane Member

Has another 10 PB before I'd replace. That's a long, long ways away.

• CrabCrab Member

This is the most impressive part:

Power Cycles: 4

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

There is no such thing as a safe drive.

A brand new drive can fail or corrupt, or it could run for 15 years.

Run it, backup often, verify backups often, have a spare ready in the event you need to quickly replace. (and verify spare works ahead of time)

Thanked by 1babywhale
  • DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited February 1

@Zreind said:
    Data Units Written: 6,438,854,224 [3.29 PB]
    SSD MODEL: KCD71RUG3T84

3 petabytes is a lot. Toshiba doesn't state TBW for these drives, which isn't very good IMO.

If you can, connect this drive to a freshly rebooted idle Windows machine and get this utility:

Then run the following sequence of tests: full read test, full write test, and full read test again. For your convenience probably save the graphs/results to compare.
    Be sure to use read, not verify.

This tool works with the storage devices directly (bypassing the "Windows layer"), so you need to have proper NVMe drivers in the system.

The graphs on their own and how they change should allow to get an idea about the SSD condition.

P.S.
    Keep in mind that write test erases all the data on the drive without any chance of recovery.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 1

3.29PB is not a lot for a modern enterprise disk that is 3.84TB or above. They can take way more of a beating before it's fully worn out as suggested by the SMART data. I would feel comfortable using the disk in production, but of course, you should always be using RAID.

Thanked by 4host_c thane six Zreind
  • @lowenduser1 said:

Is this disk safe to use?

Dunno, do u have family plans

We can talk about insurance.

Thanked by 1lowenduser1
  • You can safely use it until it crashes. When will it crash? No one can tell πŸ˜ŽπŸΈπŸ˜‚ Anyway disk stats is telling everything is normal. Although you can try to decrease the disk temperature (if possible) for using it for a long time. It's not high but the more you decrease the more lifetime it will get.