Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PsyBNC wont connect - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PsyBNC wont connect

2»

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Steve81 said: Because isn't developed anymore;

Incorrect. It's not actively developed with new features and team is kinda slow (what do you expect from almost 15 years of polishing it? It's not like IRC protocol would drasticly change either) but they are still here (join official #psyBNC channel at IRCnet).

without any developer bugs or security flaws are here to stay (for example the infamous psybnc's freeze bug).

PsyBNC with all those past IRCnet war/hack/teams in past was polished/bug/security flaws fixed more than any other bouncer will ever be. Freeze bug? :) I can't remember when one of my bncs hanged last time. 2 years ago? It was actually kernel 2.6 bug related not psyBNC related bug.

My old IRCnet nick is this moment idle 100 day 3 hr 58 min 25 s, signed on «Wed 14th Dec 2011 05:10p» ..and I can assure you that it's not frozen :)

It's not perfect but for this old chat protocol more than suitable.

• @Spirit you have a nick that is idle for 100 days?? Why, what's the point? I thought that IRC was for chat...

• @Spirit: I was once like you man, believe me. I loved PsyBNC, tried many bouncers but PsyBNC was my kind of bouncer. But when I came across ZNC, it was awesome... Try it for a week, then if you don't love it, go back to PsyBNC...

I'm not saying ZNC is better, just try it. :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@rds100 oh, yes chat... :)
    I feel attached to nick which I used more than decade at this network and some oldies still return after years of absence and query it. With being operator of channels which once had 700 chatters some people still remember it, old nick. It's not big deal, just sentimental.

@LivingSouL yes but why? No, seriously why? "because it's awsome" is not an argument :) I know that every now and then appear new bouncer which is awsome but I really don't feel like I wan't to switch to new one everytime. It's not like I wouldn't be curious and tryed some here and there but this one I use for so long it do everything I need.

• @Spirit: Well, fair enough. :)

regarding your concern, look at logs... :)

• flyfly Member

znc uses about 8mB of memory for me..... its running like 6 users with web module enabled.

• The only thing pushed me to use znc was, I can't oper up on bahamut with psyBNC. :D

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@LivingSouL you still have somewhere deep in your heart some feelings for your old bouncer, don't you? Admit it! You can't hide this from me! :P One day you will be back to origins.. :P

• Ok ill give znc a go over the next week

• @Spirit said: Incorrect. It's not actively developed with new features and team is kinda slow

Sorry, no.
    The svn isn't updated since 3 years.
    Bugs aren't updated since 3 years.

@Spirit said: It was actually kernel 2.6 bug related not psyBNC related bug.

Still, no. Is a psybnc bug (in fact a fix was planned) related with some changes in modern glibc (was also reported in the trac and accepted as critical bug); at least on my system(s) happens often when using IPv6, I don't know if exists also on IPv4.

I used to be a (happy) psybnc user since 2.2, but personally I prefer a bouncer that is actived developed rather than one that is dying since 3 year (after a 4 years stop).

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Steve81 said: Is a psybnc bug (in fact a fix was planned) related with some changes in modern glibc (was also reported in the trac and accepted as critical bug);

As I said 2.6.x Kernel related bug.

at least on my system(s) happens often when using IPv6, I don't know if exists also on IPv4.

Not since october 2008 (psyBNC2.3.2-9). psyBNC with IPv6 is rock solid.

• I'm actually surprised that there are still so many bouncer/IRC users. Are there still any cool places on IRC to hang out?

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited March 2012

@Spirit said: No issue since october 2008 (psyBNC2.3.2-9)

There are a quite number of variable: IPv4? Native IPv6? Tunnelbroker's IPv6? SSL? Distro? Architecture?

Even if it works on your system(s) was marked as critical bug from the psybnc team in trac and never fixed. Trully, if it will return actived developed probably I'll switch back to psybnc (I found it as one of the best bouncers that I've tried); but until the trac report old bugs not fixed (and until I face some of these bugs on my bouncer), I'll prefer to use an alive project. :)

@Spirit said: I feel attached to nick which I used more than decade at this network and some oldies still return after years of absence and query it.

I forgot: this. :D

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

No, seriously, it is fixed in 2008 with version psyBNC2.3.2-9 (hotfix by DarK`AvengeR) :) Since then freeze bug isn't part of psyBNC anymore. It cost you nothing to try it, you know you want it.. :P http://www.psybnc.at/download/beta/psyBNC-2.3.2-9.tar.gz

In case of curiosity, this (now 100 day 8 hr 32 min 57 s) idle nick from above is native IPv6 connection on Debian Lenny :) It's hard to get so stable IPv6 connectivity to IRC but sometimes I get lucky with LEB hosted in same or close DC as some local IRCnet server.

• @Spirit said: No, seriously, it is fixed in 2008 with version psyBNC2.3.2-9 (hotfix by DarK`AvengeR) :) Since then freeze bug isn't part of psyBNC anymore. It cost you nothing to try it, you know you want it.. :P

I used that version (and also I've tried even others), still look at the trac. The bug was reported on 2009. :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

imho. old report because after this hotfix no one bothered to make stable/official release and at same time they closed "sourceforge bugtracker" and moved to trac so old bugtracker entries was re-entered to trac in same days (March 2009). But to prevent guessing I will rather ask developers and with answer hopefully update thread.

Are you sure, sure... that you used THIS version? :) Because after hotfix release I never ever experienced previously annoying freeze bug neither I heard that someone still have those issues.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited March 2012

@Spirit said: mho. old report because after this bugfix no one bothered to make stable/official release.

While is unofficial, is on the homepage of psybnc. However at least a developer edited the bug report for a trivial change (instead as closing it as invalid or resolved).

Sorry man, actually is a dead project. :)

edit:
    However this could give some new life to the psybnc:
    https://github.com/gandaro/piebnc
    I should check in some months.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Steve81 said: Sorry man, actually is a dead project. :)

[18:37:33] * TheAvatar changes topic to 'psyBNC IRC proxy/bouncer | http://www.psybnc.at | Newest beta: www.psybnc.dk/psyBNC-2.4BETA1.tar.gz'

Version 2.4:

xx-xx-11 - Too many changes to list them all! :)
    Feature: rewritten DNS engine using c-ares!
    Fix: if compiled with IPv6, IPv6 DNS lookups was forced to AAAA. The engine has been
    been made smarter. Better support for IPv4/IPv6 interoperability
    Command: defaultipv6
    Command: preferipv6
    Command: braw
    Command: bdone
    Command: fixlistener (yeye, this is a hack to workaround a bug)
    Command: killsocket
    Command: bconnectn
    Command: bquitn
    Command: bvhostn
    Deprecated setusername in favour of setrealname
    Feature: MySQL IP check for banning and IP restriction (lock IP to account)
    Feature: ability to prevent new outgoing connections or set the connect delay timer
    Feature: admins can use bquit on a user
    Feature: admins can use bconnect on a user
    Feature: improved oidentd support for both ipv4 and ipv6
    Command: setconnectdelay
    Fix: psyBNC might be connecting clients too fast causing throttling
    Fix: freeze bug \o/
    Fix: bwho is now admin only
    Fix: broken proxy support fixed (http/socks4, still no socks5/authentication)
    Fix: fixed compile warnings when using recent compiler
    Fix: When binding to * it caused a bind warning (* = IPv4, :: = IPv6)
    Code cleanup, lots of tweaks and fixes

• flyfly Member

Firefox can't find the server at www.psybnc.at.

• @kbar said: Firefox can't find the server at www.psybnc.at.

@Spirit said: Newest beta: www.psybnc.dk

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

Anyway, sorry for bumping up one week old thread but I am really glad that there's still hope for my all time favourite IRC bouncer :)

[Spirit] is project still alive or..?
    [TheAvatar] well - semi-alive, yes
    [TheAvatar] this 2.4 beta fixed quite some issues which was present in the older versions
    [TheAvatar] and a new version WILL be out - no idea when or if its in 2 months or 10
    [plasma] TheAvatar: so there is still development going on?
    [TheAvatar] yes - or well - the code has barely been touched since 2.4b1 was released/made - but I got a few change files from a few people (and language files) and I have a few things myself too
    [TheAvatar] but that new dns engine my friend helped with is really what psybnc needed - fixed all my connect issues here afaik

• RophRoph Member

ZNC is using 0.9 %mem on my 128mb buyvm. Connected to 3 networks and in 7 channels, with a number of modules loaded, including the web interface.

I don't see any reason not to use it. When you think "web interface" you're probably thinking of some bloated trash like Apache, but a built web interface can be a few kb that just calls back to the process. It's incredibly simple.

If you decide to try ZNC, I'd recommend compiling it. Versions in the repositories (debian & debian backports at least) are pretty far behind.

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2012

znc doesn't use apache. you don't need any httpd set up at all. its super light

thats a pretty cool site design.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited March 2012

@kbar said: Firefox can't find the server at www.psybnc.at.

I have no problem with www.psybnc.at

@Spirit said: Anyway, sorry for bumping up one week old thread but I am really glad that there's still hope for my all time favourite IRC bouncer :)
    [TheAvatar] and a new version WILL be out - no idea when or if its in 2 months or 10

This is a very good news!

@Roph said: If you decide to try ZNC, I'd recommend compiling it. Versions in the repositories (debian & debian backports at least) are pretty far behind.

Is possible also to use the one in my repository. See my sign.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Steve81 said: if it will return actived developed probably I'll switch back to psybnc (I found it as one of the best bouncers that I've tried); but until the trac report old bugs not fixed (and until I face some of these bugs on my bouncer), I'll prefer to use an alive project. :)

Welcome back! :P

closed an issue on the tracker :p

Change History
    Changed 3 years ago by firewalled

summary changed from General / Freez to General / Freeze

Changed 5 minutes ago by firewalled

status changed from new to closed
    resolution set to fixed

Fixed in 2.4BETA1

• Only 3 years to fix bugs. That's some awesome dev support.

• @OxHandsJim said: Only 3 years to fix bugs. That's some awesome dev support.

Only three months between posts. That's some awesome constructive contribution.