Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I use my own ASN and IPv6 to create a network for my organization?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I use my own ASN and IPv6 to create a network for my organization?

Hello all,

I am quite new to BGP and network level concepts. I am looking to make use of my own ASN and IPv6 to implement the following requirement.

What I have?

• I have a RIPE registered ASN for my organization and two /48 IPv6 subnets (yet to be announced).
  • I have 4 VPS with free BGP sessions (all in EU location).
  • I have 5 VDS from various providers and I access them using the IPv4/IPv6 address allocated by respective providers. Out of the 5 VDS, 2 are publicly accessible servers and rest of them are only accessed among each other internally. Not sure if the providers allow BYOIP, even if they do, I wont be able to afford to pay if premiums are high (I am already maxed out).

What I need?

• My end goal is to use my organization's designated IPv6 address to reach my 5 VDS's instead of using the IP's provided to me by the respective providers. By doing this I am expecting to have a more secure and documented firewall/network infra. restricting access to my Org's IPv6.
  • A free monitoring tool to help me keep an eye on the status of my announced IP's and its operability.

Is this possible? Sorry if this was asked already, I was only able to find generalized answers upon searching.

I have a lot of time and less money to spend, so I am looking to implement this by myself learning stuffs along the way. Help is much appreciated. Have a great day.

Comments

• wiggywiggy Member, Host Rep

I suggest asking your LIR all these questions.

You will most likely be GRE tunneling or some type of VPN from services that do not contain BGP Sessions (Most likely all those VDS's) to place that do have BGP Sessions (The VPS's).

BYOIP is completely useless unless they are prepending your AS, I would just run bird on the VPS's and GRE to them from your VDS's.

Most people build custom solutions to monitor there announcements, its not really a big deal however. https://bgp.tools has a pretty good data ingess/monitoring tool

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 30

What technical benefit is there to have your own ASN and/or your own IP numbers assignments (other than bragging rights and/or to educate yourself on the technology)?

• @wiggy said: You will most likely be GRE tunneling or some type of VPN from services that do not contain BGP Sessions (Most likely all those VDS's) to place that do have BGP Sessions (The VPS's).

Thank you for the suggestion. I wonder how much it will affect the network performance.

• @JosephF said:
    What technical benefit is there to have your own ASN and/or your own IP numbers assignments (other than bragging rights and/or to educate yourself on the technology)?

I wanted to abstract the network layer of my apps/services from the network layer of the providers. I think having my own IP's on infra. as code scripts would make it more manageable, accountable, migratable and auditable. For example, I may use IP lookups on app level to add more authenticity probably etc. I am just beginning to tread in this direction, weighing out its pros and cons.