Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terminal programs for Chromebook?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Terminal programs for Chromebook?

I have a chromebook, Pixel Slate, and it actually has a linux shell but it's lacking in a LOT of features like being able to cut and paste and at the end of the day I'd honestly just like something like Termius that works.

Termius is installed, but they aren't compatible with the screen resizing or the tablet screen, at least not on my Pixel Slate. I get stuck on things like trying to accept the fingerprint as it's off screen and I can't click OK.

Anyone using anything on Android Tablets or Chromebooks that is good and can resize the screen or go full screen on different screens?

Comments

• Debian

Thanked by 1Oldschool
  • why not just enable the linux container and use that? By default it's debian but you can go with different distros if you do a little work. Though I haven't tried using stuff like fingerprint/etc. in it. Just used some linux apps and of course ssh into other systems.

Thanked by 1Oldschool
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited January 30

For the Chromebook, enable the linux container and install minicom using apt..

For Android, I'm using JuiceSSH and/or TermBot with OpenKeyChain, depending if I need to use my Yubikey or not.

Thanked by 1Oldschool
  • CrabCrab Member

@Not_Oles might be able to chime in here

Thanked by 2Oldschool Not_Oles
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I gave my slate away but before that, I used the Linux container feature and that was a perfect solution to me. Not like those annoying terminal chrome extensions.

Thanked by 1Oldschool
  • 0xC70xC7 Member

Occasional Termius user on android phone; I don't have any problem with screen resizing ... however, on my observation: if I had bad connection from cellular provider ... something weird would happend ... therefore I personally disabled options: Autocompleted, Pinch-to-zoom, Received/Expanded-notifications, Screen-shots/recording and any gesture options.
    ... Maybe you can use online webssh such ssheasy.com ... either you selfhosted or trusting to 3rd party sevice

Thanked by 1Oldschool
  • @PuDLeZ said:
    why not just enable the linux container and use that? By default it's debian but you can go with different distros if you do a little work. Though I haven't tried using stuff like fingerprint/etc. in it. Just used some linux apps and of course ssh into other systems.

@kevinds said:

For Android, I'm using JuiceSSH and/or TermBot with OpenKeyChain, depending if I need to use my Yubikey or not.

@jar said:
    I gave my slate away but before that, I used the Linux container feature and that was a perfect solution to me. Not like those annoying terminal chrome extensions.

I was having problems with cut and paste and things like that on the Linux container, maybe I was fat fingering the track pad I'll have to try again.

Cut and paste worked for y'all on the Linux container on the slate?

• @Oldschool said:

@PuDLeZ said:
    why not just enable the linux container and use that? By default it's debian but you can go with different distros if you do a little work. Though I haven't tried using stuff like fingerprint/etc. in it. Just used some linux apps and of course ssh into other systems.

@kevinds said:

@jar said:

I was having problems with cut and paste and things like that on the Linux container, maybe I was fat fingering the track pad I'll have to try again.

Guess I should have specified that I don't have a slate. I really wished google released a true pixelbook 2 instead of the slate/go. I do know that the linux container has worked perfectly for me on my current Thinkpad C14 (what I'm using to reply) and the various other chromebooks I've tried/used (both intel and arm). I do recall a while ago that selecting text in the shell didn't automatically copy (was on the dev channel at the time) but ctrl+shift+c worked just fine to copy it and was eventually fixed with an update. Regular ctrl+c/ctrl+v works with gui linux apps just fine.

Thanked by 1Oldschool
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 31

@Oldschool said:

@PuDLeZ said:

@kevinds said:

@jar said:

It did but I’m drawing a blank on how. Might have been a 2 finger click on the trackpad on the terminal, or like a control + shift + v.

I remember control + c closing the terminal chrome extensions, god that was terrible.

Thanked by 1Oldschool
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
    edited January 31

Hi @Oldschool!

@Oldschool said: Anyone using anything on Android Tablets or Chromebooks that is good and can resize the screen or go full screen on different screens?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean when you say resize the screen with a Chromebook. I am using a Lenovo Duet 5, which is a tablet that runs ChromeOS just like any Chromebook plus also runs Android Apps and has a touchscreen. The Diet 5 has a folding, magnetic keyboard cover. I use everything full screen all the time and switch from tab to tab or window to window as I want to look at different items that I have open.

That said, from the terminal app (the default Debian Linux container thingy), if I call a graphical app from the command line terminal, the graphical app pops up in a new tab either in phone proportions of full screen.

For all the graphical apps including those launched from the Debian container command line I can change the size and shape of the tab. That works great, but I don't do it hardly at all. My main use for changing the size and shape of the tab is when I want to see phone proportions.

The Duet 5 works great for me. I love the OLED screen's bright, clear colors. The Diet 5 is small, light, fast, and cheap by comparison to a Macbook. Good battery, work all day no problem.

I haven't tried the Duet 5 with external monitors, so, if that's what you mean by resizing the screen, I can't comment.

@Oldschool said: I was having problems with cut and paste and things like that on the Linux container, maybe I was fat fingering the track pad I'll have to try again.

Works here pretty well.

Hope this helps! Best!

Tom

P.S. My use of the Chromebook is either as a web browser or else as a terminal to escape the Chromebook via ssh to a server. I really haven't paid much attention to the Chromebook's features other than Chrome browser, the High Contrast Chrome Extension, the Accessibility reverse color setting and ssh out of the Debian container. As much as I like the Chromebook, I could switch to something else pretty quickly since, basically, I don't do much of anything on the Chromebook itself.

Thanked by 1Oldschool
  • @jar said:

@Oldschool said:

@PuDLeZ said:

@kevinds said:

@jar said:

It did but I’m drawing a blank on how. Might have been a 2 finger click on the trackpad on the terminal, or like a control + shift + v.

I remember control + c closing the terminal chrome extensions, god that was terrible.

In the linux container/shell, you have to use ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v though it does have the putty like feature where selecting text in the shell should automatically copy and then right clicking to paste it. Hehe, I remember ctrl+c getting me in a shell when I first started using linux and trying to copy/paste stuff within the shell to make a command or trying to copy something from a program that was running just to kill it! :lol: Now, it's just like breathing and I don't even think about it.

Note: I hope we're not confusing the linux container shell/terminal with some extension/android app or the ctrl+alt+t shell you can get in developer mode (you get a very limited shell if you're in normal mode). Ever since the linux container was released, I haven't enabled the developer mode on my chromebook. I was happy to get rid of the annoying beeps at boot or sitting there to quickly hit ctrl+d to skip it.

Thanked by 2jar Oldschool
  • @PuDLeZ said:

@jar said:

@Oldschool said:

@PuDLeZ said:

@kevinds said:

@jar said:

In the linux container/shell, you have to use ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v though it does have the putty like feature where selecting text in the shell should automatically copy and then right clicking to paste it. Hehe, I remember ctrl+c getting me in a shell when I first started using linux and trying to copy/paste stuff within the shell to make a command or trying to copy something from a program that was running just to kill it! :lol: Now, it's just like breathing and I don't even think about it.

Note: I hope we're not confusing the linux container shell/terminal with some extension/android app or the ctrl+alt+t shell you can get in developer mode (you get a very limited shell if you're in normal mode). Ever since the linux container was released, I haven't enabled the developer mode on my chromebook. I was happy to get rid of the annoying beeps at boot or sitting there to quickly hit ctrl+d to skip it.

Damn I think you found my problem. I'm using the developer mode shell I think. I'll have to check tomorrow if it's the container or the developer mode. Very limited.