Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me With my SSH Logins. (please)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help Me With my SSH Logins. (please)

hope everyone is doing well.

I have been struggling managing my cloud servers.

I currently pay for BITWARDEN for my passwords. its pretty sweet. but key management has been trash.

its just not convenient having these PPK things laying around.

Is there a way to configure a Ubuntu/Debian install to just prompt for a yubikey for authentication instead? i hate passwords. they're trash. I usually use the pw of "jeffissexy6969" but its been leaked everywhere on the dark web.

any help would be appreciated, thank you comrades.

Comments

• CrabCrab Member

Just add another 69 and you're golden.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • I'm not sure how to say it but... your password is horrible. Get something that actually contains uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters. No dictionary words/sentences, no sticking numbers only to the end.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My password is o7j7k3w5 .
    I didn't make up this password myself.
    It's the password of the computer club computer at my high school, set by the club president.
    When I started registering my own Internet accounts, I simply reused this password.

For my servers, there's no password.
    I put in my public key and disable password authentication.
    The corresponding private key is simply a file, copied to each of my laptops and desktops.
    The passphrase of the private key is o7j7k3w5, as stated above.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 26

@yoursunny said: o7j7k3w5

and now we know :)

Back in the good ole days, my ISP used to print an actual card with a random username and password for DSL access. For some weird reason, although the password was somewhat hard, I still remember it after all these years. I didn't have to key it in every day either, it just went into the modem's config once. It had everything a good password needed minus special characters. It was the "most secure" during those days /s

To OP, do exactly what yoursunny does, as that's what I do too. SSH keys, passphrase, after you copy the key to the server disable password login.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited January 26

@bamboo4409 said: Is there a way to configure a Ubuntu/Debian install to just prompt for a yubikey for authentication instead?

I wrote a tutorial on adding Google Authenticator for SSH logins. I haven't tried having only GA but I think maybe it would work.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/using-google-authenticator-for-ssh-and-console-connections-to-your-vps/

You could try removing this line:

auth required pam_unix.so no_warn try_first_pass

Needless to say, I'd test it first with a local VM or a VM you can easily reimage.

• maybe you'd like duo, 2fa to your phone or using yubikey.

https://duo.com/docs/loginduo

• bootboot Member

Can we meet Jeff?

• bootboot Member

@Crab said:
    Just add another 69 and you're golden.

Thanked by 1Crab
  • @bamboo4409 said: Is there a way to configure a Ubuntu/Debian install to just prompt for a yubikey for authentication instead?

https://github.com/drduh/YubiKey-Guide?tab=readme-ov-file#ssh

• Additionally you want to use CygwinTerminal and install the password package. This will help generate passwords at random for all your SSH logins.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@raindog308 said: I wrote a tutorial on adding Google Authenticator for SSH logins. I haven't tried having only GA but I think maybe it would work.

It doesn't. Tried it today on a spare node.

I did create a SuperUser Q on this:

https://superuser.com/questions/1827730/possible-to-disable-password-authentication-and-only-use-google-authenticator-fo

• I have been using ssh keys instead of plaintext passwords over ssh. Why not use them? you can even add passphrase for extra security

• xvpsxvps Member
    edited January 28

@raindog308 said:

@bamboo4409 said: Is there a way to configure a Ubuntu/Debian install to just prompt for a yubikey for authentication instead?

I wrote a tutorial on adding Google Authenticator for SSH logins. I haven't tried having only GA but I think maybe it would work.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/using-google-authenticator-for-ssh-and-console-connections-to-your-vps/

You could try removing this line:

auth required pam_unix.so no_warn try_first_pass

Needless to say, I'd test it first with a local VM or a VM you can easily reimage.

Be careful with Google Auth and other pam modules for ssh and test your configuration thoroughly.
    It's easy to make configuration mistakes that make it possible to log in without any password or other authentication.