Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy with SmartHost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Happy with SmartHost

I was looking for a VPS and @SmartHost reached out to me with a good offer. I checked the network pings and got great times from my home.

I've not put the server through its paces yes but just from doing the install and basic admin tasks it's speedy, no lag on the network or on the server.

Their tech support response during the day was pretty quick. I sort of had an answer but wanted to see anyway and wasn't disappointed.

As this point, I have nothing but good words. I'm looking forward to maybe moving other bits and consolidate as my other VPS's expire.

Comments

• Thanks for your feedback

• thanks for the review.

• zGatozGato Member

SmartHost:

• Sends emails about known data breaches 1 month after it already happened.
    • User needs to open a ticket to get VPS up and running, because VPS just doesn't boot after reinstall.

Those are my 2 personal experiences from using them for less than a month.

@Nelgin what did they offer you for this "detailed" review?

• I'm happy you like breaches.

• zGatozGato Member

@cybertech said:
    I'm happy you like breaches.

my brain explodes at 5am

• bdlbdl Member

I know your email address and username

Thanked by 1LeifurGunnarsson
  • how much did you get for this post?

Thanked by 1thane
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

People, there's no evidence that this was a paid review

This isn't the OP's first post, and his review also doesn't read like a paid review

Nor to my knowledge has @SmartHost been known for paying for reviews

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@cybertech said:
    I'm happy you like breaches.

Please, this sarcasm is uncalled for

• No he's legit he took a deal from smarthost

• Well, I am happy with them too for all it matters. Got no monies :)
    Have a tiny vps with 250GB storage attached running smooth for most of a year as of now.
    Custom iso allowed me to at least install with luks, the minimum I expect of the security.

• 1 day review?
    Good review!

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • @eliphas said:
    Custom iso allowed me to at least install with luks, the minimum I expect of the security.

How does their failure to notify you of a data breach after one month make you feel when it comes to security?

• @fluffernutter said:

@eliphas said:

How does their failure to notify you of a data breach after one month make you feel when it comes to security?

Pictures of the data breach or it did not happen. There is much talk about that but no proof.

Also, my name and email are not a secret and this is all that they have in their databases, if this is the breach.

• They sent out an email about the breach that occurred a month or so in the past.

• Seems legit, 7$

• bootboot Member

thanks for the fried chicken

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Guess you made the smart decision :smiley:

• Since you need provider fee to post offer. I could see why reviews subcategory could be abused.

• @eliphas said: Pictures of the data breach or it did not happen. There is much talk about that but no proof.

hahahaha

• PlokePloke Member

thank you for the review.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited January 27

actually used them about a decade ago for some indian style restaurant website. it was my friend's cousin and i set it all up for him while they fed me great indian dishes at their house.

lol i was like 15 years old at the time didn't expect any money. but it was just a basic static page showing their menu items, contact info, etc

• If I am ever given a product free for review or receive money for a review, I make it know. Do not try and insult my integrity. As others stated I put out a request for an offer, I accepted and I was giving my opinions of the service so far. I used an ISO installation and had no problems, then again, I know what I'm doing. I guess the poster who said he couldn't boot his VM didn't. Only thing I needed to open a ticket for was to confirm the default gateway of my ipv6.

• Deepak_lebDeepak_leb Member
    edited January 28

I even had a Tiny 1GB KVM with @Smarthost. Uptime is 99% and stable machine.

They are good :).

Sadly I had to let it go. Because I grabbed a Advin machine.

No complaints.

Shits happen for everyone (security breach) even for biggies, but in this scenario it has nothing to do with Smarthost.

• zGatozGato Member

@Nelgin said:
    If I am ever given a product free for review or receive money for a review, I make it know. Do not try and insult my integrity. As others stated I put out a request for an offer, I accepted and I was giving my opinions of the service so far. I used an ISO installation and had no problems, then again, I know what I'm doing. I guess the poster who said he couldn't boot his VM didn't. Only thing I needed to open a ticket for was to confirm the default gateway of my ipv6.

Tried both and didn't work, after opening a ticket, it got solved "magically" and reinstalling worked just fine.

I assume you got the same error as me and you found out yourself a fix to it.

I've used SolusVM for a while, and know how shit works ;)

• NelginNelgin Member
    edited January 28

I assume you got the same error as me and you found out yourself a fix to it.

No. Because...well, here's a little diagram to help you.

https://pasteboard.co/lZWLUQ9xEN4G.png

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

You guys could both be right. ;-)

ZGato's node may have needed template/ISO partition added back if specific node he is on was recently reinstalled and it was missed/failed being added back during the process. Typically just a quick fix on our end, and good to go moving forward on the node in question.

Nelgin has the process down it seems, as long as template/ISO partition is available on the node being used.

~ SMARTHOST

• zGatozGato Member

@SmartHost said:
    You guys could both be right. ;-)

ZGato's node may have needed template/ISO partition added back if specific node he is on was recently reinstalled and it was missed/failed being added back during the process. Typically just a quick fix on our end, and good to go moving forward on the node in question.

Nelgin has the process down it seems, as long as template/ISO partition is available on the node being used.

~ SMARTHOST

It was very quickly fixed, true, 15 minutes :)
    Just saying, this has never happened to me with any provider, but not complaining.