Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a HDD monitoring utility in linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a HDD monitoring utility in linux

Other than smartctl is there any script or utility that can notify about the issues happening with hdd . Like getting a notification if new bad sectors appears on the hdd

Comments

• tjntjn Member

I've never tried it, but have a look at https://github.com/AnalogJ/scrutiny - maybe could be useful to you?

• @tjn said:
    I've never tried it, but have a look at https://github.com/AnalogJ/scrutiny - maybe could be useful to you?

thanks a lot looks like a great tool

Thanked by 1tjn
  • I use smartmontools, you can configure it to send you an email when there is an error on one of your drives.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

smartmontools
    short/long test
    performance tests

Contrary to common belief -> Few bad sectors (pending sectors) are just normal, they are only an issue if the number grows, grows fast or is absurdly high (say 100k)

All HDDs used to come with bad sectors reported. I think they still have bad sectors, firmware just hides it, or perhaps the final QC process at factory scans the drives and takes backup sectors to replace bad ones.

All HDDs come with backup sectors for this purpose. They even do error correcting, re-reads etc. (all the stuff ZFS is supposed to prevent and magically doesn't happen with any other filesystem) on hardware level, in their firmware, with access to signal coherence from read heads directly.

I believe the only time these get reported is when retries go beyond a threshold value set in firmware in read operation, and a sector is bound to be replaced from backup.

@tjn said:

looks interesting, and nice ... for those who have few enough platters they can nanny them :)

• 0 * * * * journalctl --since="61 minutes ago" --priority=warning --quiet

In crontab, grep as necessary

Among lots of interesting warnings/errors that would otherwise fly under the radar, it will email you the kernel log spam when disks run into issues

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@darkimmortal said:
    0 * * * * journalctl --since="61 minutes ago" --priority=warning --quiet

In crontab, grep as necessary

Among lots of interesting warnings/errors that would otherwise fly under the radar, it will email you the kernel log spam when disks run into issues

even better, setup rsyslog and collect to another server.

• davidedavide Member
    edited January 25

Even better:

apt-get --autoremove purge systemd  # colloquial euphemism for "SystemShit"
    0 * * * * dmesg -T --level err,warn --since "1 hour ago"