Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup RS vs Hostbrr VDS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup RS vs Hostbrr VDS

After getting some invaluable feedback on my post here https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/192205/help-on-my-use-case-personal-cloud-for-files-photos-websites-and-email#latest I still have a few doubts that maybe someone with the experience may help sort out.

I'm looking for some good VPS, eventually the Netcup RS (which I have experience with from the past). I like the RS because some VPSes out there are unreliable and, contractual things apart, Netcup is very reliable.

I also came across an offer from Hostbrr (which I believe has good reputation around here) for a VDS for similar pricing. There's some differences, one is an EPYC, the other is a Ryzen 9, one has more memory than the other, and some other small things.

Apart from it, these servers are on the low side in terms of storage. On that part Hostbrr has better options than Netcup in terms of pricing. Netcup has 1TB local storage for around €12 but I believe that kind of storage is not even the best for (mostly) files and photos. Although it was suggested before to buy storage at iDrive or Hetzner, I would prefer to get it from the VPS provider.

Both companies are hosted in Germany, which I like.

Any thoughts on the best choices here? I'm looking for 700Mb - 1TB space, which neither server provide, as expected. So, need to buy the extra.

Comments

• loayloay Member

Why not go directly with Hetzner? They have VDS option too and cheaper storage option. Hostbrr is Hetzner reseller and a new company.

• I liked the RootServer from Netcup more also the line speed is faster 2.5gbit. for storage you can use Hetzner Storage Box with RClone or some other storage provider.

• @loay said:
    Why not go directly with Hetzner? They have VDS option too and cheaper storage option. Hostbrr is Hetzner reseller and a new company.

Yes your right sir

• layer7layer7 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Hi,

so whats actually your question?

CPU wise, a Ryzen will have a higher frequency compared to an Epyc. So you can expect the CPU cores of a Ryzen being stronger than on an Epyc ( assuming there is no overbooking of CPU power ).

Netcup is a brand of anexia, ( if i am not outdated ) and they run their own network / server infrastructure while Hostbrr is working with hetzner ( afaik ).

And as you already mentioned it, Hostbrr will give you in general a better pricing.

So you have more or less better cpu/pricing ( hostbrr ) vs. working with a providing running their own stuff.

Since you are not asking for something ultra special, as it seems to me, hostbrr would be "better" for you, as you wont have any advantages from working with netcup.

As usual: keep daily backups with another hoster. So if something goes wrong ( bad reliability/what ever ) simply migrate your data and thats it.

• WhiteRoseGWhiteRoseG Member
    edited January 23

@layer7 said:
    Hi,

so whats actually your question?

CPU wise, a Ryzen will have a higher frequency compared to an Epyc. So you can expect the CPU cores of a Ryzen being stronger than on an Epyc ( assuming there is no overbooking of CPU power ).

Netcup is a brand of anexia, ( if i am not outdated ) and they run their own network / server infrastructure while Hostbrr is working with hetzner ( afaik ).

And as you already mentioned it, Hostbrr will give you in general a better pricing.

So you have more or less better cpu/pricing ( hostbrr ) vs. working with a providing running their own stuff.

Since you are not asking for something ultra special, as it seems to me, hostbrr would be "better" for you, as you wont have any advantages from working with netcup.

As usual: keep daily backups with another hoster. So if something goes wrong ( bad reliability/what ever ) simply migrate your data and thats it.

Please tell me how this is better then buying from Hetzner directly or going with NetCup, I don't understand, except if you want a specific CPU. Also the line 1gbit is shared with hostbrr, if you get Hetzner Cloud you get 10gbit and with NetCup 2.5gbit also the resources with NetCup are Dedicated.

• Hostbrr is not a Hetzner reseller but a provider that uses Hetzner servers (dedicated or maybe their own in Colo) and sells VPS (or VDS) on those. So you cannot say that they are e.g. Hetzner cloud resellers (and afaik Hetzner cloud does not have a product running on Ryzen CPUs, so you won't find high clock single CPU performance with them but probably with Hostbrr if they do use Ryzen 9 as a base).

Thanked by 2tmntwitw philcos

Hi,

@WhiteRoseG said:

Please tell me how this is better then buying from Hetzner directly I don't understand, except if you want a specific CPU.

Well as far as i understand the topic opener, he just wants a VPS.

If he would search for a physical dedicated server, going via a reseller would usually make no sense at all, i fully agree with you on that.

But if you just want a portion of it ( no matter if its as VPS or VDS with dedicated CPU's ) then it will make sense.

It will be basically like buying a server as a community while the reseller is something like a "community manager" who will receive his X % fee for the management of it all.

@OhJohn said:
    Hostbrr is not a Hetzner reseller but a provider that uses Hetzner servers (dedicated or maybe their own in Colo) and sells VPS (or VDS) on those. So you cannot say that they are e.g. Hetzner cloud resellers (and afaik Hetzner cloud does not have a product running on Ryzen CPUs, so you won't find high clock single CPU performance with them but probably with Hostbrr if they do use Ryzen 9 as a base).

I do not know how hostbrr actually do their job.

But they could easily rent the physical servers there with hetzner ( they have sometimes quiet cheap ones ) and then either pay hetzner to use their IP space or, even better, tunnel 3rd party IP space to the hetzner server and use on hetzner hardware 3rd party IP networks.

We did this maybe 10 years ago when we had a hardware shortage and simply used our IP space on the hetzner servers we rented.

So its not there are different ways to host with hetzner ( or any other hoster ) without being a plain reseller. You could also give it a quality hike by putting some firewall features in the front, maybe with deep inspection for some usecases.

You can and should see hetzner, and any other hoster as a hardware pool in the first place. The rest is up to your fantasy and technological know-how ( and how you can make money out of that ).

• @layer7 said:

@OhJohn said:
    Hostbrr is not a Hetzner reseller but a provider that uses Hetzner servers (dedicated or maybe their own in Colo) and sells VPS (or VDS) on those. So you cannot say that they are e.g. Hetzner cloud resellers (and afaik Hetzner cloud does not have a product running on Ryzen CPUs, so you won't find high clock single CPU performance with them but probably with Hostbrr if they do use Ryzen 9 as a base).

I do not know how hostbrr actually do their job.

But they could easily rent the physical servers there with hetzner ( they have sometimes quiet cheap ones ) and then either pay hetzner to use their IP space or, even better, tunnel 3rd party IP space to the hetzner server and use on hetzner hardware 3rd party IP networks.

We did this maybe 10 years ago when we had a hardware shortage and simply used our IP space on the hetzner servers we rented.

So its not there are different ways to host with hetzner ( or any other hoster ) without being a plain reseller. You could also give it a quality hike by putting some firewall features in the front, maybe with deep inspection for some usecases.

You can and should see hetzner, and any other hoster as a hardware pool in the first place. The rest is up to your fantasy and technological know-how ( and how you can make money out of that ).

modern dense hardware at cheap location by new company

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited January 23

@philcos said: I'm looking for 700Mb - 1TB space, which neither server provide, as expected

https://my.hostbrr.com/order/main/packages/storage/?group_id=26

Premium Storage VPS
    Our Premium Storage VPS is powered by AMD Ryzen 9 7950XD, DDR5 ECC RAM and NVMe Gen4 SSDs as primary drives with additional NVMe cached HDD block storage. Hosted in Falkenstein, Germany.
    Starting at just $7.5/month

They have whole line of "hybrid" servers - fast CPU, NVMe for system and HDD+NVMe cache for storage.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 23

What is the difference, if anything, between what is called a VDS and what is called a "semi dedicated" server?

• itsdeadjimitsdeadjim Member
    edited January 23

@WhiteRoseG said: I liked the RootServer from Netcup more also the line speed is faster 2.5gbit. for storage you can use Hetzner Storage Box with RClone or some other storage provider.

Have you mounted a storagebox on a netcup machine via rclone mount?

How is the performance of this? IIRC the latency is ~4-5ms?

• @itsdeadjim said:

@WhiteRoseG said: I liked the RootServer from Netcup more also the line speed is faster 2.5gbit. for storage you can use Hetzner Storage Box with RClone or some other storage provider.

Have you mounted a storagebox on a netcup machine via rclone mount?

How is the performance of this? IIRC the latency is ~4-5ms?

Yes, works fine 1gbit easy, ATM I don't have it, I use my Workspace storage because I don't need more than 5tb so you can also take a Google workspace account with 5tb for 17 bucks also I get speeds with workspace over 1gbit easy

Thanked by 1itsdeadjim