Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for storage server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for storage server

AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
edited January 21 in Requests

Hello,

We are searching for an off-site storage server with the following requirements:

"Decent" Processor. By decent, we require something past maybe 2014 or 2015, such as an E5v3 CPU. Currently using a single E5-1650v3 and it's more than adequate for our use case. Bonus points for E5v4 or above.

Need at least 80TB of usable HDD space after a RAID6 configuration (2 drives used for parity).

Need at least a single 1.92TB of non-QLC SSD storage, preferably 3.84TB SSD. This will be used for caching purposes. An enterprise NVMe would be nicer, but we don't expect much usage anyways.

At least a 2 Gbps port. We will probably not use over 30TB per month past the initial sync, but we sometimes burst past 1 Gbps (and reach almost 2 Gbps). Almost all of our traffic is inbound, we push maybe 1-2TB per month in outbound traffic.

We have a strong preference for Europe, but anything in the United States would also work fine with us.

Thanks

Thanked by 3Calin Athorio host_c

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

That's... @crunchbits

Thanked by 1crunchbits
  • Yes @crunchbits !!

Thanked by 1crunchbits
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Advin send me a message.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Intel Dual Xeon E5-2630v4
    Cores: 20 (Threads: 40)
    RAM: 128 GB DDR4 ECC
    Disks: 240 GB SSD + 12 x 10 TB SAS HDD
    Traffic: 100 TB outbound (unmetered inbound) @ 10 Gbit
    Hardware RAID
    IPMI and control panel
    1 IPv4
    $199/mo

If you need bigger SSD, we can see what we can do.

• @Advin said:
    Hello,

We are searching for an off-site storage server with the following requirements:

"Decent" Processor. By decent, we require something past maybe 2014 or 2015, such as an E5v3 CPU. Currently using a single E5-1650v3 and it's more than adequate for our use case. Bonus points for E5v4 or above.

Need at least 80TB of usable HDD space after a RAID6 configuration (2 drives used for parity).

Need at least a single 1.92TB of non-QLC SSD storage, preferably 3.84TB SSD. This will be used for caching purposes. An enterprise NVMe would be nicer, but we don't expect much usage anyways.

At least a 2 Gbps port. We will probably not use over 30TB per month past the initial sync, but we sometimes burst past 1 Gbps (and reach almost 2 Gbps). Almost all of our traffic is inbound, we push maybe 1-2TB per month in outbound traffic.

We have a strong preference for Europe, but anything in the United States would also work fine with us.

Thanks

Intel Xeon E5-2640v4
    32GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    3.84TB SSD NVMe PCIe
    10x 10TB HDD SAS 12GB/s - 256M Cache
    10TB @ 2Gbps (first month 40TB)

€520/mo VAT excl. if paid monthly
    €500/mo VAT excl. if paid quarterly
    €460/mo VAT excl. if paid yearly

Thanked by 1Advin
  • AthorioAthorio Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 22

@Advin We have a spare backup machine, which could be a great fit.

Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 | (2x 16 cores) ->~17k points, (your current has ~10k)
    128GB ECC Memory
    2x 2 TB WD Blue 580n (NVMe)
    8x 16TB HDD (new, we would order those)
    Dual Power-Supply (A/B connected)
    10 GBit NIC
    2x IPv4 (idrac & server)

200€/month excl. VAT (quarterly paid upfront).

All options can still be discussed.

Location Europe, Germany, close to DE-CIX

Thanked by 1Advin
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited January 22

@Advin said:
    Hello,

Thanks

C'mon @Advin you keep just giving me the tip. Let's consummate this strategic partnership ;)

Since I can tell by your comments re: QLC that you're a man who knows what he wants, I have something that would fit just right in your stable.

If we want to keep the costs as reasonable as possible:

• (2) E5-2680 v4
    • 64 to 256GB DDR4
    • Up to 4: 960GB or 1.92TB Samsung Enterprise TLC-based SSDs
    • Up to 12: LFF HDDs. If we're going with stuff we have on-hand and replacements always ready, 10TB and 14TB HDDs are on tap
    • 50TB @ 10Gbps port (always more available, just cutting unnecessary costs)
    • Price: I'll beat any offer you've gotten 1:1, but I'm sure it won't even be necessary

NVMe options are also available, but if I'm being perfectly honest I don't think the up-charge is worth it given your comments. Happy to share some stats with you from our own use-cases.

Thanked by 2Advin maverick
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 22

Not offer, but question:

Why would you ask for NVMe or even SSD as data cache? What you even want to cache?
    Reads will be slower as theres additional layer and files will be accessed just once and then sit in cache for no reason.
    Writes could be cached to be more sequential, but ZFS will do same thing with RAM alone and even then, your bottleneck is the network, not HDDs.
    SSD could be nice for boot and metadata cache, but thats about it.
    New HDDs are plenty fast if you hit them with 1Gbps.

With money saved on SSD you may get additional HDD for RAID-Z3, which will be way more important for intended purpose (archival data, rarely accessed, high durability). Data cache will only complicate things (more failure points, longer path for reads, two sources of truth in edge cases). Now not only HDDs can fail, but also SSDs so even if your HDDs are fine you can end up with broken backups.

• @crunchbits said:
    Price: I'll beat any offer you've gotten 1:1, but I'm sure it won't even be necessary

you can't beat location crunchy!
    if only you exist everywhere in there world you will beat everyone on their face!

Thanked by 2crunchbits Advin
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@crunchbits said:

• Price: I'll beat any offer you've gotten 1:1, but I'm sure it won't even be necessary

We'll write @Advin an offer of $0.00/month.
    That's the usual price of Deep Atlantic Storage anyways.
    You gotta beat that by charging a negative price, i.e. you give money squats to Advin.

@yoursunny said:

@crunchbits said:

We'll write @Advin an offer of $0.00/month.
    That's the usual price of Deep Atlantic Storage anyways.
    You gotta beat that by charging a negative price, i.e. you give money squats to Advin.

1:1. Our 5 IOPS is faster than 1 POPM, not comparable product.

Thanked by 1Advin
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 22

Hi everyone, thank you for the messages and offers! I'll get to them in a little bit.

@AXYZE said:
    Not offer, but question:

Why would you ask for NVMe or even SSD as data cache? What you even want to cache?
    Reads will be slower as theres additional layer and files will be accessed just once and then sit in cache for no reason.
    Writes could be cached to be more sequential, but ZFS will do same thing with RAM alone and even then, your bottleneck is the network, not HDDs.

With money saved on SSD you may get additional HDD for RAID-Z3, which will be way more important for intended purpose (archival data, rarely accessed, high durability). Data cache will only complicate things (more failure points, longer path for reads, two sources of truth in edge cases). Now not only HDDs can fail, but also SSDs so even if your HDDs are fine you can end up with broken backups.

This server will be specifically running a combination of Proxmox Backup Server and ZFS. I've heard in the past from Proxmox forums that having an SSD cache can sometimes help, since Proxmox Backup Server writes a ton of small files. It's not like a standard backup where a singular file archive is uploaded, but rather, Proxmox Backup Server backups VM's incrementally by writing a lot of small files and deduplicates them. I will probably do some testing to evaluate if it's even worth it to have a small SSD cache, but SSD pricing has gone down significantly.

I have also thought of maybe just doing an all-SSD storage cluster, but HDD's have been sufficient for the time being, so maybe if we have more things to backup in the future, we could make the move to something with all-SSD that would avoid any bottlenecks entirely.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited January 22

@NetDynamics24 said:
    Intel Dual Xeon E5-2630v4
    RAM: 128 GB DDR4 ECC
    Disks: 240 GB SSD + 12 x 10 TB SAS HDD
    Hardware RAID
    IPMI and control panel
    1 IPv4
    $199/mo

If you need bigger SSD, we can see what we can do.

Our offer just went out of stock for the moment, so we come back with another offer:

Intel Dual Xeon E5-2630v4 S
    RAM: 128 GB DDR4
    Disks: 240 GB SSD + 12 x 14 TB SAS HDD
    Hardware RAID
    IPMI and control panel
    1 IPv4
    $219/mo or $199/mo (billed quarterly)

If bigger SSD is needed, we can do it for a small charge.

Thanked by 1Advin
  • @Advin said:
    Hi everyone, thank you for the messages and offers! I'll get to them in a little bit.

@AXYZE said:
    Not offer, but question:

This server will be specifically running a combination of Proxmox Backup Server and ZFS. I've heard in the past from Proxmox forums that having an SSD cache can sometimes help, since Proxmox Backup Server writes a ton of small files. It's not like a standard backup where a singular file archive is uploaded, but rather, Proxmox Backup Server backups VM's incrementally by writing a lot of small files and deduplicates them. I will probably do some testing to evaluate if it's even worth it to have a small SSD cache, but SSD pricing has gone down significantly.

I have also thought of maybe just doing an all-SSD storage cluster, but HDD's have been sufficient for the time being, so maybe if we have more things to backup in the future, we could make the move to something with all-SSD that would avoid any bottlenecks entirely.

You could even colocate a server

@c1vhosting said:

@Advin said:
    Hello,

Thanks

Intel Xeon E5-2640v4
    32GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    3.84TB SSD NVMe PCIe
    10x 10TB HDD SAS 12GB/s - 256M Cache
    10TB @ 2Gbps (first month 40TB)

€520/mo VAT excl. if paid monthly
    €500/mo VAT excl. if paid quarterly
    €460/mo VAT excl. if paid yearly

Sorry friendo, but a little too much compared to some other offerings in the market. It's understandable, HDD's are expensive, but sadly it just won't work for us.

Thanked by 1c1vhosting

@NetDynamics24 said:

Intel Dual Xeon E5-2630v4 S
    RAM: 128 GB DDR4
    Disks: 240 GB SSD + 12 x 14 TB SAS HDD
    Hardware RAID
    IPMI and control panel
    1 IPv4
    $219/mo or $199/mo (billed quarterly)

If bigger SSD is needed, we can do it for a small charge.

Yep, I believe I've seen your offers before, will check and get back to you :smile:

@crunchbits said:

Thanks

C'mon @Advin you keep just giving me the tip. Let's consummate this strategic partnership ;)

Since I can tell by your comments re: QLC that you're a man who knows what he wants, I have something that would fit just right in your stable.

• (2) E5-2680 v4
    • 64 to 256GB DDR4
    • Up to 12: LFF HDDs. If we're going with stuff we have on-hand and replacements always ready, 10TB and 14TB HDDs are on tap

NVMe options are also available, but if I'm being perfectly honest I don't think the up-charge is worth it given your comments. Happy to share some stats with you from our own use-cases.

Hi friend, will message you again later today and maybe we can work something out :smile:

Thanked by 1crunchbits
  • reliablesite 80Tb server 169usd per month

https://reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/8-core-server/hdd-storage-80TB-32GB

If you want to plan for long time use the server ,pay large amount setup fees then go fdcservers
    You will got server under 100-120usd per month .
    Setup fees depend on disk size maybe per 10TB 200usd its one time.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Advin - how fast do you need it? I am awaiting a big batch of hardware and we may have something available for you in EU.

@Advin said:

@crunchbits said:

Thanks

• (2) E5-2680 v4
    • 64 to 256GB DDR4

Hi friend, will message you again later today and maybe we can work something out :smile:

@Advin, so deal closed? ;)

@athorio said:

@Advin said:

@crunchbits said:

Thanks

• (2) E5-2680 v4
    • 64 to 256GB DDR4

@Advin, so deal closed? ;)

I'll message you in a bit - you're offer is also quite good :)

@AlexBarakov said:
    @Advin - how fast do you need it? I am awaiting a big batch of hardware and we may have something available for you in EU.

No rush at all

@sujeet said:
    reliablesite 80Tb server 169usd per month

https://reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/8-core-server/hdd-storage-80TB-32GB

If you want to plan for long time use the server ,pay large amount setup fees then go fdcservers
    You will got server under 100-120usd per month .
    Setup fees depend on disk size maybe per 10TB 200usd its one time.

ReliableSite is okay but I need 80TB after RAID6. In order to achieve that advertised 80TB, I would have to run it in YOLO RAID0.

• OhJohnOhJohn Member
    edited January 22

If the US is fine I would highly recommend IOFlood in Phoenix AZ, aka @funkywizard . Not the cheapest on the market but great team and good offers (check e.g. WHT for their storage offers but as they do everything inhouse, I would recommend to contact them for a custom offer tailored to your needs).

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

An actual European offer:
    Redacted SX134 storage server
    Ryzen 7 3700X
    128GB DDR4
    2x 960GB NVMe
    10x 16TB HDD
    Helsinki Finland
    €339.27 first month, €245.26 monthly thereafter
    Email @Not_Oles to order; he probably has one idling away.

Thanked by 2brueggus Not_Oles
  • @yoursunny said:
    An actual European offer:
    Redacted SX134 storage server
    Ryzen 7 3700X
    128GB DDR4
    2x 960GB NVMe
    10x 16TB HDD
    Helsinki Finland
    €339.27 first month, €245.26 monthly thereafter

You can also just buy it at www.hetzner.com enjoy !

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@yoursunny said:

Actually laughed out loud at that one :D

@Advin I faxed you my card. It's got my cell number, my pager number, my home number and my other pager number. I never take vacations, I never get sick. And I don't celebrate any major holidays.

• hyena56hyena56 Member
    edited January 22

@crunchbits said:

@yoursunny said:

@Advin I faxed you my card. It's got my cell number, my pager number, my home number and my other pager number. I never take vacations, I never get sick. And I don't celebrate any major holidays.

But does drink a beer at least?

@crunchbits said:

@yoursunny said:

But you forgot what happens when a bus hits you... :D