Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible ways to use a laptop with no i/o ports, track pad and bluetooth
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible ways to use a laptop with no i/o ports, track pad and bluetooth

Hello all, I have this old laptop HP Pavilion 15-n038sx (Intel Core i7-4500U, 2 cores) with both ram (16gb) and storage (1tb ssd) upgraded. It was left unused for years, and after reviving it with the help of proffesional laptop repair service, usb ports, track pad and bluetooth failed to work. The os boots, display is fine and so is keyboard. I just cannot connect a mouse.

What could be the best use case for a laptop like this? it has a fairly good cpu, ssd and ram. Neither do I have enough money to buy a new laptop exchannging this one, nor do I want to just trash or even just sell this. I am looking for ways to make use of this.

My first thought was to to use it as a local server (with battery removed ofcourse), but your valuable suggestions on this will be very helpful.

Is there any other hacks/ideas to still use it as a laptop with Windows 10 installed?

Help much appreciated people.

Comments

• CrabCrab Member
    edited January 20

You could just install a Linux OS of your choice and use it over VNC with a tablet. I assume wifi works fine? Does it have an ethernet port?

Of course you can keep the Win 10 as well, but Linux on laptops is pretty good nowadays. For example I have a $100 Lenovo black friday laptop and everything works fine on it out of the box with Debian.

• The best course of action is to take it back to that proffesional laptop repair service and making them fix that usb, track pad and Bluetooth that they broke in first place.

• @Crab said:
    You could just install a Linux OS of your choice and use it over VNC with a tablet. I assume wifi works fine? Does it have an ethernet port?

Of course you can keep the Win 10 as well, but Linux on laptops is pretty good nowadays. For example I have a $100 Lenovo black friday laptop and everything works fine on it out of the box with Debian.

Nice idea sir, yes wifi and ethernet port works fine. Probably would try RDP with Windows.

• @JabJab said:
    The best course of action is to take it back to that proffesional laptop repair service and making them fix that usb, track pad and Bluetooth that they broke in first place.

Actually fortunately they did a good job. When I turned it on after a long time, none of the usb ports worked. They managed to get one port working. It eventually died though. This time they clearlly said it would not possible to fix considering the risk involved for other components.

• CrabCrab Member

I wonder whether USB ports just have a bad solder joint. That could be an easy check with a multimeter and quick fix.

Thanked by 1dragon_island
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Press Win and type PowerShell ENTER.
    Everything in Windows can be managed in PowerShell.
    When in doubt, the Get-Help commandlet can help you.

• Usb, bluetooth and trackpad dead? Sounds like a driver problem, or wrong drivers. Laptops sometimes with the same modelno, have different drivers by region.

• Boot a live usb stick with linux mint, any linux os but i feel that mint has the widest compatibility, without installing it, and i'm pretty sure your problems will vanish.
    • Check the bios for any setting
    • Check your manual or check your keyboard for any "function setting" disabling these.

hope you have success

• bootboot Member

Check BIOS settings for sure.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Start a LowEndProvider with it.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited January 21

@kevinc said:
    Usb, bluetooth and trackpad dead? Sounds like a driver problem, or wrong drivers.

It could be the usb controller is rip. Bit strange for Bluetooth to be connected via usb (rather than on a pcie wifi card) but it’s just about old enough for that to be plausible. Keyboard can be ps/2 bus

To prove that theory webcam would probably be dead too

• 1q11q1 Member

@dragon_island said:
    Hello all, I have this old laptop HP Pavilion 15-n038sx (Intel Core i7-4500U, 2 cores) with both ram (16gb) and storage (1tb ssd) upgraded. It was left unused for years, and after reviving it with the help of proffesional laptop repair service, usb ports, track pad and bluetooth failed to work. The os boots, display is fine and so is keyboard. I just cannot connect a mouse.

What could be the best use case for a laptop like this? it has a fairly good cpu, ssd and ram. Neither do I have enough money to buy a new laptop exchannging this one, nor do I want to just trash or even just sell this. I am looking for ways to make use of this.

My first thought was to to use it as a local server (with battery removed ofcourse), but your valuable suggestions on this will be very helpful.

Is there any other hacks/ideas to still use it as a laptop with Windows 10 installed?

Help much appreciated people.

use linux with tiling windows manager like awesome or hyprland. You won't need mouse or touchpad.

• @1q1 said:

use linux with tiling windows manager like awesome or hyprland. You won't need mouse or touchpad.

Never new something like this exists. Upon searching also came across FancyWM for windows. Will definitely try this.

Thanked by 11q1
  • Ok do this, install some vm hypervisor like proxmox, then sell this laptop as vm ( low-end edition) make some money and buy a new laptop

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@darkimmortal said:
    It could be the usb controller is rip. Bit strange for Bluetooth to be connected via usb (rather than on a pcie wifi card) but it’s just about old enough for that to be plausible.

To prove that theory webcam would probably be dead too

The Bluetooth portion of a PCIe WiFi card still uses USB..

The newest M.2 WiFi/Bluetooth cards.. The Bluetooth stuff is still connected via USB.. mPCIe and M.2 slots both have USB pins in them.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • Does the HDMI port still work? I was thinking of a KVM monitor lol

• Crazy idea (might or might not work), if getting it repaired is completely not an option.
    1. Take drive out, install a headless Linux distro using another system.
    2. Also install SSH, VNC, etc.
    3. Make a script which outputs your private ip, something running for eg.- ip a > myip.txt Add it to one-time auto run daemon.
    4. Put HDD back in laptop, boot into it.
    5. Get IP by checking the myip.txt file.
    6. SSH or VNC into the system (atter GUI installation)

3-6 are only necessary if you have no other way of checking the laptop's private IP.

• @Calvin said:
    Does the HDMI port still work? I was thinking of a KVM monitor lol

Yes fortunately HDMI port works. But what is a KVM Monitor?

• @noob404 said:
    Crazy idea (might or might not work), if getting it repaired is completely not an option.
    1. Take drive out, install a headless Linux distro using another system.
    2. Also install SSH, VNC, etc.
    3. Make a script which outputs your private ip, something running for eg.- ip a > myip.txt Add it to one-time auto run daemon.
    4. Put HDD back in laptop, boot into it.
    5. Get IP by checking the myip.txt file.
    6. SSH or VNC into the system (atter GUI installation)

3-6 are only necessary if you have no other way of checking the laptop's private IP.

Certainly something like this should be doable. Thank you for elaborating the steps.

• Install Remote Mouse and use your phone as mouse

Thanked by 2abtdw dragon_island
  • I suggest what others say, use linux and ssh into or vnc. If you want a windows machine, you can always RDP into it. The builtin windows rdp client (mstsc) works but honestly, the new remote desktop app is nicer.

• kdjmakdjma Member

let us know what did or didn't work

• @kdjma said:
    let us know what did or didn't work

Sure sir...it's the task for this weekend. I'll update here.

• bdlbdl Member
    edited February 2

docker and https://docs.linuxserver.io/images/docker-webtop

otherwise just run debian/proxmox/whatever flavour-of-linux-you-like and you have a mini server with a built in UPS

Thanked by 2abtdw dragon_island
    edited February 6

Does your laptop have an ExpressCard or PC-Card (PCMCIA) slot?

• @dragon_island said:

@Calvin said:
    Does the HDMI port still work? I was thinking of a KVM monitor lol

Yes fortunately HDMI port works. But what is a KVM Monitor?

So some monitor have built-in KVM switch meaning you can connect your mouse/keyboard to the monitor and it can control devices connected to the monitor, so you can switch

• nobody fucks with serial/uart anymore. what a shame.

• @jugganuts said:
    nobody fucks with serial/uart anymore. what a shame.

The PS4 Linux scene thrives on it.

Thanked by 1jugganuts

@jugganuts said: nobody fucks with serial/uart anymore. what a shame.

My new laptop (January) doesn't have an on-board serial port and I really miss it...

I use serial/uart at least once a week.

Thanked by 1jugganuts