Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS question

SirNeoSirNeo Member
edited January 20 in Help

Sorry for my stupid question but i'm not so smart as Gazi and don't know them all

If i enable proxy for mail (as it's now for www) will my mail work?
I can enable it and test it but i prefer to not disturb my mail so i ask you guys.

Thanks

Comments

• eriseris Member

No you can't

• edited January 20

As long as you MX records still point to the correct servers your mail should be fine. That means you can have cloudflare proxying your mxroute web panel but if your MX records point to mail.yourdomain.ext it won't work as cloudflare doesn't proxy SMTP.

Besides, don't worry, i don't even know who Gazi is and i'm still doing fine.

Thanked by 3adilolv SirNeo tmntwitw
  • COLBYLICIOUSCOLBYLICIOUS Member
    edited January 20

No, it will not work. There is no point to proxy that because you don't need to hide that IP, is not yours, it from the MXRoute.

Thanked by 1tmntwitw
  • @totally_not_banned said:
    As long as you MX records still point to the correct servers your mail should be fine. That means you can have cloudflare proxying your mxroute web panel but if your MX records point to mail.yourdomain.ext it won't work as cloudflare doesn't proxy SMTP.

Besides, don't worry, i don't even know who Gazi is and i'm still doing fine.

Yes the MX records point directly to mail provider not to my domain.
    Thanks

@COLBYLICIOUS said:
    No, it will not work. There is no point to proxy that because you don't need to hide that IP, is not yours, it from the MXRoute.

Why should people know where i am hosting my email?
    Also www. is not mine is owned by my hosting provider :wink:

• tmntwitwtmntwitw Member
    edited January 20

It won't be able to work, as SMTP port 25 is not supported by Cloudflare proxy

https://developers.cloudflare.com/fundamentals/reference/network-ports/

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that the record you are mentioning is a CNAME record and not a MX record, so it doesn't matter, as long as the MX records are not pointing to that CNAME record.

Thanked by 1SirNeo
  • @SirNeo said:
    @COLBYLICIOUS said:

They still can see that on any MX check record, like DNSDumpster.

• @tmntwitw said:
    It won't be able to work, as SMTP port 25 is not supported by Cloudflare proxy

https://developers.cloudflare.com/fundamentals/reference/network-ports/

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that the record you are mentioning is a CNAME record and not a MX record, so it doesn't matter, as long as the MX records are not pointing to that CNAME record.

Thanks!

@COLBYLICIOUS said:

@SirNeo said:
    @COLBYLICIOUS said:

They still can see that on any MX check record, like DNSDumpster.

Maybe not everybody knows to check the MX records. I myself find out 1-2 weeks ago when i moved mail service from hosting provider to mail provider

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@SirNeo said: Why should people know where i am hosting my email?

That's the whole point of DNS. You publish the records precisely so that senders will know where you host your email, and they have to be public to function properly. A little obfuscation may be possible but how many out there are obfuscating their mail providers really? I can't think of any. Even then, they only need to look at the reverse DNS record of the mail server IP, eventually it's going to resolve down to that IP unless you do something that will cause you even more problems (create your own mail proxy and break SPF for all senders).

• edited January 20

@jar said:
    create your own mail proxy and break SPF for all senders

Well, the proxy could rewrite the sender to some domain under OPs control. Then all that's left is having an outgoing proxy reverse the rewrite so replying will actually target the right addresses. Seems totally worth it, doesn't it? I mean, he gets to take care of all the protections himself and that's a good way to lose some sleep after all. All that in the name of hiding the fact of being an MXRoute customer.

Thanked by 2jar martheen