Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Czech Republic sets IPv4 end date
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Czech Republic sets IPv4 end date

On 17 January 2024, the Government of the Czech Republic approved the material "Restarting the implementation of DNSSEC and IPv6 technologies in the state administration". On the basis of this decision, the Czech state administration will stop providing its services over IPv4 on 6 June 2032. Thus, the Czech Republic knows its IPv4 shutdown date.

https://konecipv4.cz/en/

@yoursunny

Comments

• Lol wut? I guess that's what you get when politicians get to meddle with technical matters.

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • tentortentor Member, Host Rep

Waiting for IPv6 haters to arrive in 3...2...1...

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep

@totally_not_banned said:
    Lol wut? I guess that's what you get when politicians get to meddle with technical matters.

This is not something new btw: https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/news/india-sets-new-deadline-for-upgrading-internet-protocol-to-ipv6-heres-why-it-matters-553484.html

Thanked by 2Mumbly martheen
  • bootboot Member

numbers and letters and colons OMFG!

• Deadline in 8 years, there will be new political party ruling and they will have to cancel/take the blame. Smart.

• HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited January 20

@boot said:
    numbers and letters and colons OMFG!

https://streamable.com/860607

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • @tentor said:

Lol wut? I guess that's what you get when politicians get to meddle with technical matters.

This is not something new btw: https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/news/india-sets-new-deadline-for-upgrading-internet-protocol-to-ipv6-heres-why-it-matters-553484.html

Yeah, it's not that surprising in general. It's just crazy that some governments seem to think they can dictate network technology on a global scale. It probably differs locally but i'd guess there is some kind of mandate for them to provide their services to the general public, which at least in parts probably has little say in their connection supporting IPv6 or not.

• If the same could happen in Italy to fax machines in 2032. Nah it won't happen.

• @davide said:
    If the same could happen in Italy to fax machines in 2032. Nah it won't happen.

Haha, so true. Those boxes will likely be still around when IPv6 gets finally shutdown.

• davidedavide Member
    edited January 20

@davide said:

Haha, so true. Those boxes will likely be still around when IPv6 gets finally shutdown.

I thought fax machines were an Italian cultural thing here. Where can they still be found apart from Italy and museums?

• I like IPv6; it's my favorite way to bypass rate limits, but completely abandoning IPv4 is stupid.

• edited January 20

@davide said:

@davide said:

I thought fax machines were an Italian cultural thing here. Where can they still be found apart from Italy and museums?

I very much thought the same but with Germany instead of Italy. Random persons probably wouldn't know what they are by now but as soon as anything semi-official is concerned you can absolutely count on those machines being involved somewhere. Agencies, lawyers, doctors, hostpitals and so on don't really trust a largely untested technology like email just yet.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited January 20

@JabJab said:
    Deadline in 8 years, there will be new political party ruling and they will have to cancel/take the blame. Smart.

Yep. These 5+ year plans are almost always done as marketing stunts. Look at the cool stuff we promise to do that realistically we won't end up finishing but you won't care by that point and neither will we.

Thanked by 2sasslik chihcherng
  • LeviLevi Member

@yoursunny nirvana!

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@davide said:

@davide said:

Germany.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@davide said:

@davide said:

A lot of classic B2B stuff in the US.

Hell, we have: a fax machine, a dial-up modem, and a Cobalt RaQ 2 in the office. Someday some lucky LET detective is going to fax us and win a prize.

Thanked by 2host_c DataRecovery
  • @crunchbits said:

@davide said:

@davide said:

Hell, we have: a fax machine, a dial-up modem, and a Cobalt RaQ 2 in the office. Someday some lucky LET detective is going to fax us and win a prize.

Also heavily used in Japan for means of business or official communication

• @crunchbits said:

@davide said:

@davide said:

Wait... there's a prize if we can wardial your RaQ and make it fax a pizza order?

• raza19raza19 Veteran

@crunchbits said:

@davide said:

@davide said:

Spent 10 minutes trying to find the fax number without success. Even tried for redoubt networks. Pretty well hidden I guess.

@lewellyn said:

@crunchbits said:

@davide said:

@davide said:

Wait... there's a prize if we can wardial your RaQ and make it fax a pizza order?

Better be extra meat, but lol :D

@raza19 said:

@crunchbits said:

@davide said:

@davide said:

Spent 10 minutes trying to find the fax number without success. Even tried for redoubt networks. Pretty well hidden I guess.

Extremely well, for the time being :)

It was likely going to be tied into a big contest in the future, so I did my best to only leave one long breadcrumb.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @crunchbits said:

@lewellyn said:

@crunchbits said:

@davide said:

@davide said:

Better be extra meat, but lol :D

@raza19 said:

@crunchbits said:

@davide said:

@davide said:

Extremely well, for the time being :)

It was likely going to be tied into a big contest in the future, so I did my best to only leave one long breadcrumb.

I was actually thinking of PizzaTool when I was commenting :D

• yusrayusra Member

@Hotmarer said: stop providing its services over IPv4 on 6 June 2032

What kind of groundbreaking changes in that domain requires 8 years of preparation and planning?!

• Ok well, ips are supposed to be number!!!!!!!

• @yusra said:

@Hotmarer said: stop providing its services over IPv4 on 6 June 2032

What kind of groundbreaking changes in that domain requires 8 years of preparation and planning?!

Apparently you haven't worked in government or big business. :D

There are literally Windows 9x machines involved in the manufacture of name-brand products in your home. If it takes 30 years to upgrade their manufacturing operating systems across the board, you expect that they're going to be using IP technologies introduced after those operating systems? The first version of Windows to support IPv6 in any meaningful capacity was Windows 2000, with Windows XP/2003 being the first to have it in the box. In Unix-land, Solaris 8 had a technical preview of IPv6 (which is no longer easily downloadable). Solaris 8 is still used by many governments...

And that takes us back to the original question: something like a government has a lot at risk from any IP change for their services. Changing the protocol version itself even more so. They're going to have to basically move system by system (and machine by machine in each system) to make sure that enabling things for IPv6 that aren't already doesn't change behaviors in negative ways, and then again to make sure that turning off IPv4 also doesn't break things.

The last thing a government needs is thousands of police computers being able to communicate or social benefits not getting to the people who need them.

This isn't like a VPS provider with a panel that they just load IPs into and say "give them to the virtual servers". We're almost certainly dealing with a number of 30+ year old systems that will need to be modernized as part of the effort, and some at no small cost. When's the last time you bought a mainframe or few, for instance.

Considering what's likely involved, 8 years sounds about right, if they're just starting now. Realistically, it should have been on their roadmap 20-25 years ago, but government...

Hell, I work for a household name manufacturing company and the scope of moving to IPv6 after ignoring it for so long is apparently daunting enough that someone in the network planning team is legitimately discussing NATting internal servers into Class E space. -.- If they had not kicked the can down the road so long, they would have had a fraction of the number of systems to worry about.

At this point, any big migration is going to be slow purely due to scope. And it's all self-imposed. At least the Czech Republic is doing it before they literally cannot bring any more servers online because they cannot afford another /27 at market prices or something stupid like that.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • @crunchbits said:
    we have: a fax machine, a dial-up modem, and a Cobalt RaQ 2 in the office

Cobalt RaQ 2 display

I hear an adult not a youngster speak.

Clearly the business is serious.

@DataRecovery said:

@crunchbits said:
    we have: a fax machine, a dial-up modem, and a Cobalt RaQ 2 in the office

Cobalt RaQ 2 display

I hear an adult not a youngster speak.

Clearly the business is serious.

Do you wanna go do karate in the garage?

• riderrider Member

The stupid decision. The right one is to combine using IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
    The forced implementation of the IPv6 indicates unpopularity of the IPv6.
    The good news is they indicated the deadline.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 22

@rider said:
    The stupid decision. The right one is to combine using IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
    The forced implementation of the IPv6 indicates unpopularity of the IPv6.
    The good news is they indicated the deadline.

Some nutjob did implement ipv4+ but he got laughed off at RIPE mailing lists.

https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/members-discuss/2020-April/003676.html

• davidedavide Member
    edited January 22

@stefeman said:
    Some nutjob did implement ipv4+ but he got laughed off at RIPE mailing lists.

That had to be @FlorinMarian behind a pen name, on a good day. He goes on to explain why 16-bit numbers are bigger...