Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Server feel very sluggish
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Server feel very sluggish

_cece_cece Member

Hi,

currently I have an older vServer with a quite reputable Provider here, which I like. Mostly I keep it because it was awesome. But since some months, the vserver feels very sluggish. Just to delete a file takes very long. I asked if they can move me to another node, but they told me, that there is no issue as such. Here is the iostat, what do you think?

avg-cpu:  %user   %nice %system %iowait  %steal   %idle
           1.37    0.03    0.90    3.24    6.73   87.73

5.59    0.00    3.96   75.99   13.99    0.47

16.03    0.00    3.63   56.84   21.37    2.14

15.06    0.00    5.62   61.12   18.20    0.00

33.76    0.00   11.11   20.30   34.83    0.00

14.59    0.00    7.06   66.59   11.76    0.00

10.90    0.00    4.64   65.43   19.03    0.00

5.59    0.00    2.68   73.38   18.34    0.00

0.49    0.00    0.74   94.85    3.92    0.00

0.24    0.00    1.95   92.20    5.61    0.00

0.48    0.00    1.21   93.46    4.84    0.00

3.04    0.00    2.10   85.05    9.81    0.00

0.25    0.00    2.23   94.80    2.72    0.00

0.73    0.00    1.47   94.87    2.93    0.00

1.93    0.00    2.41   90.36    5.30    0.00

Comments

• IO is fast my man.

Thanked by 1_cece
  • tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@_cece said: Here is the iostat, what do you think?

Open support ticket with your "a quite reputable Provider".

• bootboot Member

IO is slow my woman.

• bootboot Member

@tentor said:

@_cece said: Here is the iostat, what do you think?

Open support ticket with your "a quite reputable Provider".

My Most Esteemed Hosting Provider,

Hark! I pen this missive unto thee with a heart heavy with lamentation, and a spirit fraught with disquietude. Verily, it grieveth me to bring forth this plaint, but duty compelleth me to seek redress for a matter of utmost import.

In the realm of digital abodes, wherein my Virtual Private Server doth reside, a malady hath befallen it - a languor that hath rendered its disk performance sluggish and indolent. Methinks the very cogs and wheels of its mechanism have lost their alacrity, and the hum of its operations is a mournful dirge that doth vex the soul.

Perchance, noble Provider, thou art unaware of the travail that hath beset my digital demesne. Yet, I beseech thee, in the name of all that is virtuous and just, to cast thine eyes upon the affliction that plagues my VPS. The latency doth rise like a tempestuous sea, and the once nimble access to data hath been replaced by a ponderous crawl.

With humility and deference, I entreat thee to dispatch thy most skilled artisans to attend to the wounded state of my VPS. Let them, with deft hands and sagacious minds, unravel the enigma that shrouds its disk performance. May their efforts be as the healing touch of Apollo upon a wounded hero.

If it pleases thee, O Hosting Provider, to expedite this matter with celerity, thou shalt earn the undying gratitude of this humble tenant of thy virtual fiefdom. As a loyal patron, I cast my hopes upon thy benevolence and technical prowess to restore the vigor and vitality of my digital abode.

With utmost respect and unwavering faith in thy providence,

_cece

• YABS

Thanked by 1commercial
  • IKIHOSTIKIHOST Member, Patron Provider

I don't see slow issue. Your io wait make me sense.

Thanked by 1_cece
  • Iowait is high, very high, very very high but this also depend what you are doing there. If you have that iowait on idle then it's an issue. Could be drives failing, could be someone abusing node could be total oversale. If provider says it's all okey then you copy-paste that output and say you idle that and if they still go with 'everything is okey' after two attempts then a) support have no idea what they are doing b) it's normal for them. b) I would run away to different provider, a) I would ask to escalete/someone else to take a look

If you have that iowait while running some disk intensive things (lets say torrents) then it's all normal - you hitting limits.

If that iowait shows for like 5 minutes a day and then it's back to normal then those are cons of shared servers.

Thanked by 1_cece
  • _cece_cece Member

Thank you so far everyone.

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 22 hours, 29 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 2593.762 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 2.9 GiB
    Swap       : 4.0 GiB
    Disk       : 2.6 TiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-91-generic
    VM Type    : XEN
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ❌ Offline

IPv4 Network Information:
    ISP        : Rica Web Services
    ASN        : AS26832 Rica Web Services
    Host       : Rica Web Services
    Location   : Montreal, Quebec (QC)
    Country    : Canada

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 274
    Multi Core      | 508
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/4480187

YABS completed in 33 min 37 sec

yeah somehow its like my KS-1 from the cpu performance :D

• Single Core | 274

still twice the score of a Pentium 4. why complain :p

Thanked by 1_cece
  • TBH I've never seen Servarica oversell disks on the VPSes I'm on (at least to the point I notice). Sure they seem to throttle disk I/O a bit. But any good provider will enact some degree of quality of service. They use Xen rather than KVM, so it takes some getting used to things being oddly different. But their VPSes seem pretty solid in my book.

Describe what you're doing when you see high iowait, accurately, in a ticket. They have a reputation for being reasonable. However, if you're violating their terms, be very unsurprised if they tell you to get out.

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited January 20

@lewellyn said:
    TBH I've never seen Servarica oversell disks on the VPSes I'm on (at least to the point I notice). Sure they seem to throttle disk I/O a bit. But any good provider will enact some degree of quality of service. They use Xen rather than KVM, so it takes some getting used to things being oddly different. But their VPSes seem pretty solid in my book.

Describe what you're doing when you see high iowait, accurately, in a ticket. They have a reputation for being reasonable. However, if you're violating their terms, be very unsurprised if they tell you to get out.

My Servarica storage VPS has extremely bad IO for the first 6 months I had it to the point evenly logging in via SSH took 30 seconds and running ls on a small directory of 50 files took like 1 minute.

The iowait was ridiculously bad to the point running any commands from /usr/bin took forever to initialize as even loading the executables took forever.

I gave on up using it for anything for some time until the IO improved somewhat. It's now better compared to when I first got it.

Not sure if they added IO limits now to reduce abusers

• looks like my servarica server too, will definitely be cancelling and replacing with crunchbits

• _cece_cece Member

@lewellyn said:
    TBH I've never seen Servarica oversell disks on the VPSes I'm on (at least to the point I notice). Sure they seem to throttle disk I/O a bit. But any good provider will enact some degree of quality of service. They use Xen rather than KVM, so it takes some getting used to things being oddly different. But their VPSes seem pretty solid in my book.

Ja just running a small nextcloud, where 3 users upload their iphone photos, documents and some private stuff (family). would doubt its against their tos, lol. :D

• AthorioAthorio Member, Patron Provider

crap, high io wait, high cpu steal.. get a proper Provider ;)