Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD prices predicted to skyrocket throughout 2024
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD prices predicted to skyrocket throughout 2024

fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider
edited January 19 in General

SSD prices predicted to skyrocket throughout 2024 — TrendForce market report projects a 50% price hike

Looks like the days of cheaper NVMe drives and DDR memory are about to come to an end.

https://tomshardware.com/pc-components/ssds/ssd-prices-predicted-to-skyrocket-throughout-2024

https://pcgamer.com/rising-nand-and-ddr-chip-prices-mean-ssd-and-memory-prices-are-sure-to-increase-in-2024/

This is surely going to impact the hosting industry and seems like it already is. We are already seeing increased supplier pricing across the board and less availability.

1TB SSDs for under $50 are surely coming to an end. For now at least.

Thoughts? Comments? Predictions?

Future Hardware Pricing
  1. 1TB NVMe's for under $50 in 2024?135 votes
    1. Just a glitch in the matrix. Hardware prices will go back to normal, nothing to see here.
      25.19%
    2. Ryzen 9 79950X, 192G DDR5 RAM and a GEN5 4TB NVMe should be the next FiberState special for $1/mo
      74.81%

Comments

• thanks for the heads up, seems like nand is a good speculation item this year.

• Please give $1/month deal, thank you

Thanked by 2fiberstate shruub
  • The big brands will have higher prices. Local Chinese manufacturers will find a way out. They'll buy from them. Or on the secondary market

• remyremy Member

I don't really understand.
    They have reduced production voluntarily, which is why prices have risen.
    But I don't see any reason for prices to go up permanently.

• Prices don't go up on their own. That means somebody wants them to.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • Already seeing this, a few of our vendors told us orders are delayed due to them scaling back manufacturing heavily. Prices quoted were 30% higher than last month.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@fluffernutter said:
    Already seeing this, a few of our vendors told us orders are delayed due to them scaling back manufacturing heavily. Prices quoted were 30% higher than last month.

Seeing the same, even in secondary markets. Supply is just getting thinner and thinner, though you can still find deals now.

• @remy said:

This is much like gas prices, at least in the USA, after people started going back out when the world got sensible after hiding from COVID.

The oil companies didn't bring their refineries back online at reasonable capacity. I know a few long-time career types in the industry who got laid off and immediately offered their jobs back at a laughable wage (like one was the facility's main chemist and they offered $50,000/year if he wanted to come back... he ended up as a research chemist elsewhere making more than he was for the oil company, so it wasn't all bad for him).

This led to them having a narrative that they couldn't find employees to keep up with the demand. And artificially low output led to higher prices, naturally. Which, of course, meant higher profits. And the populace was blaming government for some reason, when government does not have the authority to fix that problem (well, not directly... they could have removed the volumes of the tax code devoted to the oil companies screwing everyone over on not paying their fair share, for instance...). The oil companies won coming and going.

I see this memory "shortage" being much the same: blame will be thrown every way except where it belongs, they'll make more money, and we all get screwed.

• it's like invisible OPEC of memory

• fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider

@jenkki said:
    The big brands will have higher prices. Local Chinese manufacturers will find a way out. They'll buy from them. Or on the secondary market

Seems like Samsung is intentionally halting production of nand chips

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

All true,

Why make $ when you can make $$ on the same product with less expenses?

I can vouch for the info in some way, most of our suppliers sent out e-mail notifications in November/December that DRIVES + Flash memory prices will increase. ( with a minimum of 30% was stipulated in most e-mails we got ). I disregarded the notifications and classified them as marketing for "buy now", it seems there was some truth in them.

We shall see where this will go, for the moment we can only speculate.

10 years ago I thought the the "tech industry" will get cheaper as manufacturing process matures. I was wrong apparently.

• @host_c said:
    All true,

Why make $ when you can make $$ on the same product with less expenses?

I can vouch for the info in some way, most of our suppliers sent out e-mail notifications in November/December that DRIVES + Flash memory prices will increase. ( with a minimum of 30% was stipulated in most e-mails we got ). I disregarded the notifications and classified them as marketing for "buy now", it seems there was some truth in them.

We shall see where this will go, for the moment we can only speculate.

10 years ago I thought the the "tech industry" will get cheaper as manufacturing process matures. I was wrong apparently.

As long as greed is not illegal, it will drive business decisions.

Thanked by 3host_c Pixels chitree
  • xvpsxvps Member

These are "old" articles. New bad things have happened since they were written.

If Yemen's Houthis are allowed to keep attacking container ships, the prices could skyrock for that single cause.

Numbnuts calling for World War III isn't a good sign.

I think we will see fluctuating prices on many goods because of all the conflicts around the world.

Thanked by 1kode9
    edited January 19

@xvps said:

If Yemen's Houthis are allowed to keep attacking container ships, the prices could skyrock for that single cause.

I think we will see fluctuating prices on many goods because of all the conflicts around the world.

Samsung as openly admitted to curbing production to drive up pricing. Each day the supply chain for drives and memory are getting worse, less availability and higher pricing. This impacts the very core of our industry.

November 2023 average price for a 2TB Samsung Evo Pro NVMe 990 drive was $130 USD. Today if you can find them they are around $180-$230 with limited quantity from distributors that have remaining stock.

Thanked by 1crunchbits

@cybertech said:
    it's like invisible OPEC of memory

100%

@remy said:

Hosting in general is commoditized. Just like everything else, this will set a new normal and will continue on. Just like most industries.

• This means @fiberstate should give us storage upgrade discounts before the prices go to high :D

• @Moopah said:
    This means @fiberstate should give us storage upgrade discounts before the prices go to high :D

I was just thinking the same XD

Thanked by 1fiberstate

@Moopah said:
    This means @fiberstate should give us storage upgrade discounts before the prices go to high :D

Too late unfortunately. You have all the chickens with the entire worlds supply of Evo 990 drives idling

• xvpsxvps Member

@fiberstate said:

@xvps said:

Samsung as openly admitted to curbing production to drive up pricing. Each day the supply chain for drives and memory are getting worse, less availability and higher pricing. This impacts the very core of our industry.

November 2023 average price for a 2TB Samsung Evo Pro NVMe 990 drive was $130 USD. Today if you can find them they are around $180-$230 with limited quantity from distributors that have remaining stock.

Yes, but if Maersk and other shipping companies start going the long way around Africa to avoid missile attacks, the shipping cost to the EU could easily double or worse.

The are multiple factors.

• @fiberstate said:

@Moopah said:

Too late unfortunately. You have all the chickens with the entire worlds supply of Evo 990 drives idling

Actually, quite relevant to my services with you AND this thread, since you have your finger on this pulse: what are the HDD prognostications? I've kinda been waiting for you to start getting bigger drives available, in hopes the current ones drop in price. But if they're expected to go up, I might need to just do things now. :)

@xvps said:

@fiberstate said:

@xvps said:

Yes, but if Maersk and other shipping companies start going the long way around Africa to avoid missile attacks, the shipping cost to the EU could easily double or worse.

Yes, potentially for certain locations. However, for us being on the west coast USA, our electronics shipments come from Asia via the Pacific.

• xvpsxvps Member

@fiberstate said:

@xvps said:

@fiberstate said:

@xvps said:

Yes, potentially for certain locations. However, for us being on the west coast USA, our electronics shipments come from Asia via the Pacific.

I think many shipping companies might monetize from the situation and raise their prices globally.

• blackblack Member

I expect hardware prices in general to rebound, TSMC reported good revenue so demand is there.

@black said:
    I expect hardware prices in general to rebound, TSMC reported good revenue so demand is there.

Fingers crossed. This drive shortage is not fun :neutral:

• @fiberstate said:

@Moopah said:

I'm reducing disk writes on your drives by idling and extending their lifetime. I am a respectful customer.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@host_c said: 10 years ago I thought the the "tech industry" will get cheaper as manufacturing process matures. I was wrong apparently.

Oh, I don't know. In 1985, a moderately equipped PC could easily run $3500, which is $10,176 in today's dollars. That's with a 286, maybe 2MB of RAM, probably no hard drive, and an EGA monitor. Today for 1/20th the price you can get vastly more power.

In 2000, the typical hard drive was what, 2GB? Today you can buy a 2TB drive for cheaper than you'd have paid then.

Etc.

• With sporadic wars here and there, this was only a mater of time. Global supply chains esp. involving countries like Taiwan will affect prices of electronics, mainly those that contain semiconductors. So, I was mostly expecting it to affect GPU prices like during COVID, but thanks for the headsup regarding SSDs.

Thanked by 1fiberstate
  • In the early 1990s, the computer was traded in for a new car. They were almost equal in value. Now computers from those years are worth nothing This shows the real cost of hardware without the markups and advertising.

Manufacturers release something new every six months to keep the money flowing.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jenkki said: Now computers from those years are worth nothing This shows the real cost of hardware without the markups and advertising.

That is a bizarre conclusion.

Computers from the early 90s are worth next to nothing now because they lack features that modern computers have. They're far less powerful, have tiny hard drives, tiny memory, weak processors, etc. compared to what you can buy for less money today.

They were worth what they sold for in the early 90s.

Thanked by 1DanSummer