Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

protocol type
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

protocol type

pedalapedala Member

Hello LET!
I have some ipv6 and I would like to test a protocol that bypasses bgp, I saw that there are many protocols used for this "ipsec, l2tp, pptp, gre eoip, etc" but also others that I don't know. I'm interested in sending IPs to different vps and I don't want to do bgp with each provider.. I tried the he-ipv6 protocol, but it seems that the connection is not stable, please tell me your opinion. Thank you!

Comments

• spiritlhlspiritlhl Member
    edited January 18

https://github.com/oneclickvirt/6in4

This guy? I actually use GRE more.

• @pedala said:
    Hello LET!
    I have some ipv6 and I would like to test a protocol that bypasses bgp, I saw that there are many protocols used for this "ipsec, l2tp, pptp, gre eoip, etc" but also others that I don't know. I'm interested in sending IPs to different vps and I don't want to do bgp with each provider.. I tried the he-ipv6 protocol, but it seems that the connection is not stable, please tell me your opinion. Thank you!

Could you be more specific?

• @c1vhosting said:

@pedala said:
    Hello LET!

I host the ips on a "linux, mikrotic or other" vps and I want to send classes of different sizes to other vps, but without doing bgp.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 18

@pedala said:

@c1vhosting said:

@pedala said:
    Hello LET!

I host the ips on a "linux, mikrotic or other" vps and I want to send classes of different sizes to other vps, but without doing bgp.

You have two options:

1. Use different dynamic routing protocol (OSPF for example)
    2. Configure static routes manually 💀

Anyways, both options require configuration of the tunnels (GRE/IPIP/VxLAN etc).

• @pedala said:

@c1vhosting said:

@pedala said:
    Hello LET!

As said by @tentor you can act with one of those way.
    OSPF it's better :)

Thanked by 1tentor
  • Thank you all !

• OP, you asked about sending IP's to different providers bypassing BGP. That's an interesting question. I'm going to assume you have an IP address assignment and you don't want to/can't BGP peer with your datacenter provider.

People are recommending dynamic routing and I'm not sure that's what you really are asking about. It seems to me that you're asking how to do it without dynamic routing.

The basic formula is to create something like an IPIP tunnel between locations and run your privately routed traffic over that just pretending that your tunnel is physical wires. This takes a bit of construction time and might look like a hub and spoke if you have some shared services between the VPS's.

If you add dynamic routing as some are suggesting, this will get very complex without a good reason for doing it. This is not an unsolved problem (I know because I've done it) but it's a heavy lift, a lot of messing around with firewalls, a lot of static routes, and it always feels like the solution is on the verge of breaking apart when something changes. Is BGP easier? No, probably not.

I'd start with asking yourself why you're trying to span your IP address range across facilities.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

You do not want to use BGP as that is blocked at public interface right?

@ReallyOldGuy said: OP, you asked about sending IP's to different providers bypassing BGP. That's an interesting question. I'm going to assume you have an IP address assignment and you don't want to/can't BGP peer with your datacenter provider.

If I understood the OP correctly, they have large IP pool allocated on one server, but they wish to share it with other servers. But indeed the question could be described way better.

edited January 18

I would just GRE/L2TP/WG... etc between the nodes/locations, and BGP over it. I am not a fan of OSPF. But hey, that's me.

That way, OP will learn ( forced by using BGP ) some "routing" also, that is always handy :D

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Just use wireguard or openvpn.

• at first I want to do some tests, but it's easy to sell services, especially irc, which requires a little attention in a stable connection. I'm new to everything related to bgp routing...
    at the moment I have a /40 and a /48, and I am waiting for confirmation of the purchase of another /38, and I would like to bgp them in a single server and from there send 10-20 ips to each vps in different locations , it costs me less that way and with this I can also check the stability of the connection.
    sorry if you don't quite understand what I'm writing, but I'm using a translator.

@pedala

Because you will use different types of vpn, OSPF might not be the best approach as you will have to set up neighbors, at that point, just do BGP, the whole planet runs on that, so again, you will learn a + skill. It is not that SF, id does not byte, but it needs to be set up correctly, as all things.

I would go for a GRE as it will consume the least amount of MTU. More complex VPN's will eat more MTU as they need place for encryption and so on.

The less MTU you have for payload ( actual data transferred ) the more fragmentation and re-assembly you will do, that will translate in lower speed and higher cpu usage on the router/vps/dedi that does the routing/tunnel/vpn.

BGP is extremely simple, it basically replaces static routing. you have an AS number ( like a serial ) for each setup/router that has to be unique and set up who hold what sub-nets and what is shared with who ( peers ).

You will find a bunch of videos on the net.

• @host_c I'm trying to find an alternative so that I don't depend on other providers, unfortunately in Romania almost everyone asks quite large amounts for bgp, and I've been buying vps at low costs like 1-2 euros/month, and they don't have bgp support. in the summer of this year I will set up a location for 2 of my servers, and then I will have bgp through my provider.

@host_c said: I would go for a GRE as it will consume the least amount of MTU.

Actually, IPIP has smaller header :)