Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Requesting a VPS specifically in Darwin, Australia
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Requesting a VPS specifically in Darwin, Australia

In Australia, you can get a VPS in six cities, all located in the southern region. However, if you exclude Perth, the hosting services are concentrated in the five cities of northeastern Australia.

I am searching for a VPS specifically only Darwin, which is located in northern Australia. I believe that there are three data centers in that area. I have reached out to them but, unfortunately, have not received any response. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have for getting a VPS in Darwin.

Also, within Oceania, if you have any suggestions for getting a VPS in any city except for the 6 Australian cities and Auckland, NZ, I can take a look as well.

Thank you very much. Really appreciate the help the users have provided me so far.

Comments

• bootboot Member

Why you dissing Hobart yo?

• @trewq not sure if you're still in business?

• @boot said:

Sorry. In Oceania, outside of mainland Australia, it is possible to get servers only in Auckland, New Zealand. I talked with a few providers in Australia and New Zealand. Providers have offices in Tasmania, but the servers are usually in those 6+Auckland cities.

Let me know if you know a hosting provider based in Tasmania.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Hey @Operable4829,

Services in Darwin and Hobart aren't really worthwhile for the most part. Darwin is backhauled to either Perth, Adelaide or Brisbane (Brisbane is via RBBP fibre).

Turning traffic around locally in Darwin is also a challenge. Not many eyeball networks hand off to Layer 3 there and those that do for the most part don't peer locally (Telstra,TPG,Optus).

The exact same issues for Hobart except the only backhaul is to Melbourne. It's essentially regional Victoria from a network perspective.

If there is a particular issue you're trying to solve I can likely assist.

@boot said:

B)

Thanked by 1boot

@Ympker said:
    @trewq not sure if you're still in business?

FlowVPS is still in business but maintaining operations is the goal, not growth.

These days I spend most of my time at Host Universal building out an APAC wide network, and hopefully US/EU soon.

We have extensive connectivity and backbone in Australia with multiple PoPs in all major cities (BNE, SYD, MEL, ADL, PER) as well as Auckland, Singapore and Japan.

Thanked by 3dahartigan MikeA Ympker
  • Good to see you still around @trewq

• Hey @trewq,

Thank you for sharing your insights. I really appreciate it. I am going off a map and I see a big gap in network connectivity. The region includes the huge Borneo Island, which is shared between Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei, then Papua New Guinea and about 70% of Australia, all of which do not have any hosting providers.

From what I understand from your comment, it is probably not worthwhile to have something in that area. The data centers I contacted are probably telecom data centers, which is why they did not respond.

I will keep an eye out for Host Universal in case we need a server from the other cities. Thank you.

@Operable4829 said:
    Hey @trewq,

Thank you for sharing your insights. I really appreciate it. I am going off a map and I see a big gap in network connectivity. The region includes the huge Borneo Island, which is shared between Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei, then Papua New Guinea and about 70% of Australia, all of which do not have any hosting providers.

From what I understand from your comment, it is probably not worthwhile to have something in that area. The data centers I contacted are probably telecom data centers, which is why they did not respond.

I will keep an eye out for Host Universal in case we need a server from the other cities. Thank you.

That's exactly right, if you overlay data centre locations with a population density map of a country/region you'll see a strong correlation. There are obviously exceptions like Singapore where the total country population is quite low however they are a major economic hub in APAC meaning they have a disproportionate amount of DCs and connectivity.

Northern Territory for example only has a population of ~250k people, half of which live in Darwin. The requirement just isn't there for hosting locally.

Thanked by 1Operable4829