Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Do you still remember handshake domains? Namebase.io scam.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you still remember handshake domains? Namebase.io scam.

verovero Member, Host Rep

Handshake domains were mentioned few times in 2020 or 2021 on LET, but no one ever took them seriously, I guess. I also got myself a few back then on namebase.io, but never used them.

Now I'm receiving emails, that domains of mine are on sale and my account doesn't exist anymore (yes, notifications are coming, but can't log in). There should be still a few thousands of those HNS money left on my account, surely enough for renewals. And renewals were meant to be automatic.

Not that I care much about the situation, but looks like an ordinary crypto scam going on.

Thanked by 1host_c

Comments

• I just logged in my account and everything is there. Did you use 2 factor authentication with namebase? Send them a email and that is really strange.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@Stevie said:
    I just logged in my account and everything is there. Did you use 2 factor authentication with namebase? Send them a email and that is really strange.

Happy you made it.

I'll try contacting them via email.

I just received bunch of confirmation emails now and was able to log in. Looking at domains. Might be that some of them were on sale, people bought them and put on sale again.. But not 100% sure.

Admins, please edit topic name and close the thread.

P. S. Just out of curiosity - anyone is using handshake domains?

• By any chance are you referring to these type of emails you are getting "You have a new offer on DOMAIN" ? If so that is normal, just delete the email. There is a setting to stop accepting offers on the domains but I got like 300 domains and that is time consuming lol, so I just delete the offer emails.

@Stevie said:
    By any chance are you referring to these type of emails you are getting "You have a new offer on DOMAIN" ? If so that is normal, just delete the email. There is a setting to stop accepting offers on the domains but I got like 300 domains and that is time consuming lol, so I just delete the offer emails.

No, emails are like this:

"Someone placed a masked bid of up to 100.0000 HNS on [my_domain] That might be enough to beat your bid of 1.5000!"

But could be 1.5 is the price I paid initially, then it was sold at some point (automatically) and it's like referring back to my very first bid as the new auction is happening. I'm not completely sure. As well as why I bothered buying them back then.

• That is super strange, I never had something like that happen to me. I just bought domains outright and never did a bid, hopefully namebase gets back to you soon.

@Stevie said:
    That is super strange, I never had something like that happen to me. I just bought domains outright and never did a bid, hopefully namebase gets back to you soon.

Namebase replied to my email that they will take a look, but it was about account, not domains. Now that I was able to log in and found most of my domains there, I'm fine with that. Actually, I would be fine without that as well, but as there are so many scams happening around, this appeared to be incredibly impudent.

I remember there were problems trying to do transactions back in the days, support was unresponsive and former owner (or the guy managing that whole platform) just went nuts one day. And when I received emails like this, I thought - "well, just another FTX".

Doing further investigations on handshake would just be irrelevant time wise. But if you're selling domains there, check your prices, because HNS dropped like x10 in value.