Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared hosting or VPS in 2024?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared hosting or VPS in 2024?

I've been in favor of VPS over shared hostings since 2010. Back than, panels were painful and made me panicking: PHP only, $$$ for an extra domain, disk space measured in MB, apps' tables crammed into a tiny DB with gibberish prefixes. Even an OpenVZ container with 128MB RAM and 5GB disk offered me the delusion that I were the king of the machine. I could finally deploy C++ programs, Python apps and no more restrictions were set on the number of (sub)domains.

But when I tried shared hosting this month, in 2024, I found it quite pleasing to use. Juicy UI with backup plugins takes place, NodeJS and Python are fully supported, CloudLinux and Litespeed do a great job on the speed, and much less $$ for extra (sub)domains. Maybe it's not friendly to Golang and C++ programs yet, but hey, who'd ever want a C++-made website?

I'm thinking about moving all my PHP/Python/NodeJS webites (which are not existent yet) into shared hosting, and leaving only tough jobs on VPS, compiling and deploying distributed systems. I personally have got quite a lot of C/C++ work to do, mainly on HPC, say optimizing vector-related computation from 60ms (C++) to 15ms (C with SIMD), and accelerating model inference on modern CPUs from 1000ms to within 500ms. So I may not be a total green hand in VPS or Linux.

What do you think of shared hosting and VPS in 2024?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Shared hosting: less work, but not everything can work (e.g. no long lived process).
    VPS: more work, highly customizable, almost everything can work there.

Thanked by 2noisycode hyperblast
  • @yoursunny said:
    Shared hosting: less work, but not everything can work (e.g. no long lived process).

Quite so. I really can't run the dear YABS on a shared hosting. But these days I feel a bit annoying to set up dozens of VPS.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited January 17

I moved back to shared hosting out of necessity - no one else but cloudlinux is maintaining the old PHP versions needed for my websites. And to match the sandboxing/segregation of cloudlinux yourself is a bit of a minefield - glad to be rid of the niggling doubt that I had missed something

The disk space and performance of shared hosting is crazy these days - with the right provider you can get equivalent RAM (factoring in mysql) and disk space to a VPS of the same price. A no brainer to get a load of management done for you for free

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • HAMSWHAMSW Member

@noisycode
    It might be easier (and probably more cost efficient also) to buy a bigger VPS plan or even a Dedicated Server and host all your websites there, You can manage resources with cPanel or Direct Admin or the good old cgroups or systemd.
    -> Make sure of where you're getting this plan since uptime and reliability will affect all your websites together.
    -> This doesn't really work in some situations but still you can take advantage of this by gathering a lot of low traffic websites on a VPS or a lot of moderate traffic websites on a Dedicated (accordingly)

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • @noisycode said: What do you think of shared hosting and VPS in 2024?

You can find a number of shared hosting offers, which would provide higher speeds than a lot of VPSes (not the top beefy ones of course).

There was no need to wait for this till 2024.

VPSes are for customization and for some really heavy loads (far from everyone has those). Shared hosting is for much less hassle and speed.

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • Do you have any recommended web hosting? I usually use it to build mailboxes. The lower the price, the better.

• Shared hosting or VPS in 2024? - you can't say that in general. in my opinion, it depends on various aspects.

• @noisycode said:

@yoursunny said:

Quite so. I really can't run the dear YABS on a shared hosting. But these days I feel a bit annoying to set up dozens of VPS.

but you can (try) to run p.php - https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3806938/#Comment_3806938

• noisycodenoisycode Member
    edited January 17

@lzy666 said:
    Do you have any recommended web hosting? I usually use it to build mailboxes. The lower the price, the better.

No, not yet. I'm in the middle of hanging out with BuyShared, HostSlim, LimitlessHost, HostBrr and Dewlance. Not sure about the stability and reliability, but I have to say some of them ARE using legacy facilities. Meanwhile both BuyShared and HostBrr are using Ryzen 79XXs, which offer awesome performance, and dual E5-v4s from HostSlim work quite well with rather low system load.

@HAMSW said:
    @noisycode
    It might be easier (and probably more cost efficient also) to buy a bigger VPS plan or even a Dedicated Server and host all your websites there,

Indeed, while DA license seems quite expensive already.

@darkimmortal said: The disk space and performance of shared hosting is crazy these days

Crazy, absolutely. How extraordinary.

• @yoursunny said:

What are examples of important services that cannot work in shared hosting?

• @JosephF said:

@yoursunny said:

What are examples of important services that cannot work in shared hosting?

Let me try: DNS server, vector search engine (even the standalone version), XMPP service, large-scaled distributed system (say Hadoop), user-generated custom subdomains (?).

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • noisycodenoisycode Member
    edited January 18

@yoursunny said:

A quick update: I managed to deploy a nodejs application (express.js) on DA, and it runs like forever. Long live the process, in a nutshell, though.

P.S., of course, no fun for raw socket here...