Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to check for faulty HDD ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to check for faulty HDD ?

asthenasthen Member

What tools I can use to check for faulty HDD on my vps?
everytime I delete and moving some files in HDD, the ssh disconnected, freeze / hanging until I reboot the vps, it seems like a bad sector or something, what tools I can use ?

Comments

• backup -> reinstall entire OS -> see if VPS is now dead

• I just got shit colocrossing and lost my data. They won't even notify you.

• smartctl

• @zorker said:
    smartctl

Does smartctl even have any value in a VPS tho? Your resources are all fake (virtualized) so you won't see the host node's SMART data.

@asthen Your best bet is to open a ticket with the provider if you suspect a disk fault. They're the only ones who can diagnose it.

On the other hand, it may just be an oversold node and they'll quietly move you and "I don't see anything wrong, can you tell me exactly what you're doing that makes it happen?" and it'll never happen again XD

• DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited January 17

@asthen said:

Client area -> Support tickets.

There's no way to get a direct access to HDD in virtualized environment.

P.S.
    Be sure to get a copy of all your important data while it's still accessible somehow.

• @lewellyn said:

@zorker said:
    smartctl

Does smartctl even have any value in a VPS tho? Your resources are all fake (virtualized) so you won't see the host node's SMART data.

@asthen Your best bet is to open a ticket with the provider if you suspect a disk fault. They're the only ones who can diagnose it.

On the other hand, it may just be an oversold node and they'll quietly move you and "I don't see anything wrong, can you tell me exactly what you're doing that makes it happen?" and it'll never happen again XD

yeah, smartctl doesn't show anything

@DataRecovery said:

@asthen said:

Client area -> Support tickets.

There's no way to get a direct access to HDD in virtualized environment.

P.S.
    Be sure to get a copy of all your important data while it's still accessible somehow.

I will if it's unbearable anymore, too much data need to move.