Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo Windows VPS backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo Windows VPS backup?

I currently have a Windows VPS hosted at Contabo, and I'm seeking guidance on a method to perform a full backup of the entire system, including the OS and data.

The objective is to ensure that in the event of a disaster, I can seamlessly restore the backup onto a new, similar VPS

Comments

• Answer: To perform a full server backup, install the windows server backup feature, then open the server manager>Tools>Windows Server Backup. Provide the backup operator credentials and go to Local backup>Action>Backup once

Thanked by 1smartcard
  • How do Snapshots work?
    Our High-Performance VPS series offers you the possibility to create so-called “Snapshots” of your system. This means that the current state of your system is saved and stored. This is a useful tool which allows you to run risk-free updates of apps or install new software on your system. In case you encounter any issues afterwards, you can easily “roll back” your system to its previous state. You can perform a Snapshot yourself through your Contabo Customer Control Panel by clicking the “Create Snapshot” button. If you want to reset your system at a later point in time, simply click the “Rollback”-icon. You can find more information in our tutorial on the Snapshot Feature for the VPS.

You can also use this at Contabo

Thanked by 1smartcard
  • It is possible if the provider allows you to attach your own vhdx; You can generate an image of the machine and attach it to hyperv without problems.

If you need help generating the machine image, I can help you.

Thanked by 1smartcard
  • AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

Veeam Community Edition. You can hook it up to something like Hetzner Storagebox/Share

Thanked by 2smartcard caracal
  • @AllHost_Rep said:
    Veeam Community Edition. You can hook it up to something like Hetzner Storagebox/Share

In this case, can we restore back to Contabo?

@smartcard said:

@AllHost_Rep said:

Assuming you can mount a custom ISO (i.e. the veeam recovery media), yep!

• @smartcard said:

@AllHost_Rep said:

I don't understand why you not use the snapshot function in Contabo control panel 1 snapshot is free

@WhiteRoseG said:

@smartcard said:

@AllHost_Rep said:

I don't understand why you not use the snapshot function in Contabo control panel 1 snapshot is free

They're not true backups unless they're provider-diverse. What happens if Contabo cancels the account immediately for example?

We provide free backups as a provider but always recommend customers have their own backups elsewhere.

• Thanks for all your input.
    I found that Contabo has a snapshot feature, but the snapshots are auto deleted in 30 days

• @AllHost_Rep said:

Is there any guide, can I restore back to a new VPS?

• smartcardsmartcard Member

@WhiteRoseG said:

@smartcard said:

@AllHost_Rep said:

Can I pay and get additional snapshots?

One snapshot that too valid for 30 days is not sufficient