Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox vs LXD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox vs LXD

Are there any benefits in setting up LXC containers and managing it using Proxmox than setting it up using LXD or basically the same with the downside of more overhead from Proxmox?

Scope is managing LXC containers only, no VMs.

Comments

• Proxmox API. Easy to manage and migrate.

• davidedavide Member
    edited January 13

I use LXC directly without candy wrappers. It takes 2 or 3 commands to run the whole shop.

E.g. lxc-start -n ve-100, lxc-stop -n ve-100, etc.

Thanked by 1tmntwitw
  • bethpbethp Member, Host Rep

There will always be an overhead for Proxmox, not that it is much now but if you have a small hypervisor machine then likely best to not use a GUI and go pure cli based

• jobayerjobayer Member
    edited January 14

LXD has a built in GUI and its perfect. I'm currently using it, you have to enable it. it's disabled by default. it's very light and useful. You can also use LXD via CLI. I think there's no need of installing anything else to manage it when you get everything without additional headaches.

https://documentation.ubuntu.com/lxd/en/latest/howto/access_ui/
    https://github.com/canonical/lxd-ui

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 14

LXD is dead, long live Incus.
    In a few weeks, LXD is going to loose access to most of the images.

Besides that, yes they differ.
    LXD for example has VNC removed, Proxmox still has VNC.
    Proxmox is just better for VM's, LXD focuses mainly on Containers.
    Yea they do support VM's but meh.

If you want something stable Proxmox.
    If you wanna live risky, go with LXD.

LXD had already 2 breaking changes and its more like experimental.
    Don't get me wrong, both dev's are kinda retarded.
    if you put in a bugfix, proxmox needs 1 year to fix it.

Especially on feature requests, the LXD dev's are fucking lazy and the Proxmox dev's are mentally questionable.

• systemd-nspawn master race

• rasplexrasplex Member
    edited January 14

Yes, there are some benefits to using Proxmox to manage LXC containers, even if you are not using any virtual machines.

Of course, there is also a downside to using Proxmox. Proxmox is a more complex piece of software than LXD, and it requires more resources to run. This means that you may not want to use Proxmox if you are only running a few containers.

Generally, I would recommend using Proxmox if you are running more than a few containers, if you prefer a more web gui, or if you need the additional features that Proxmox provides. However, if you are only running a few containers and you do not need the additional features, then LXD is a good option.