Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended CPU for Wordpress Host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended CPU for Wordpress Host

I hosted 30+ websites, most of them based on Wordpress and WooCommerce. Now I’m using old Xeon E5 server and planned to migrate to new server since the performance is getting slower. Which CPU is recommended: Xeon Gold, EPYC, or Ryzen?

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I've been pretty happy with Ryzen CPUs like Ryzen 7950X in combination with NVME drives (1G read/write speeds at least). Haven't really had time to do comparisons with the above CPU list you gave though.

Thanked by 1faleddo
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Personally if you need the best performance then I would go the Ryzen route.
    We have quite a lot of massive sites with loads of traffic and the 7950x / 3d's have been nailing it home you really can't go wrong.

Thanked by 1faleddo
  • hyena56hyena56 Member
    edited January 13

Well it depends on your websites model/daily visitors

Ryzen mostly will do the job for you (should be the primary option, for better performance), but there are cases you'll be needing more cores for such heavy displays and high peak of visitors then I'll do EPYC instead

• The highest clock speed ones

Thanked by 1faleddo
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Why not to prepare for worst so use AMD Epyc Genoa 9754 with RAID-10 NVME drives and your websites will be loading instantly so don’t need any optimisations.

Thanked by 1faleddo
  • Any 3+ ghz cpu will do the job with lots of ram assigned to sql server
    Litspeed + redis wordpress will fly

Thanked by 1faleddo
  • @hyena56 said:

Ryzen mostly will do the job for you (should be the primary option, for better performance), but there are cases you'll be needing more cores for such heavy displays and high peak of visitors then I'll do EPYC instead

I also think like that. One of my website has more than 300k monthly visitor. Luckily it's not WordPress based. 😅

• hyena56hyena56 Member
    edited January 13

@faleddo said:

@hyena56 said:

I also think like that. One of my website has more than 300k monthly visitor. Luckily it's not WordPress based. 😅

Then go with EPYC already. Think about the future. It might grow spontaneously + you are hosting other websites on the server I'd rather go EPYC. My rule is even I do not need the usage if I see in future it would come I'd rather be ready

Thanked by 1faleddo
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited January 13

@faleddo said:
    I hosted 30+ websites, most of them based on Wordpress and WooCommerce. Now I’m using old Xeon E5 server and planned to migrate to new server since the performance is getting slower. Which CPU is recommended: Xeon Gold, EPYC, or Ryzen?

In my experience, LiteSpeed makes a big difference in terms of both WordPress performancem and the server load (including the CPU load).

The free LiteSpeed has limits in terms of domains and RAM, while the paid version costs almost $30 per month for over 5 domains.

What I went with (and am quite happy with) is good reseller hosting.
    MDDHosting Elastic reseller hosting starts from $10 per month, while their Plaid Reseller hosting (faster hardware, worth it, that's what I'm using mostly now) starts from $30. I'm hosting over 20 websites on the lowest-tier Plaid platform, and still have enough "room" (CPU usage is very low, while RAM is used for about 1/3 of the alotted total amount).

Relja

• LeviLevi Member

Xeon Platinum. It is rare cpu model among budget providers. A leverage for marketing.

• Find what's your bottleneck and fix it. Some usual culprits:
    1. If it's anonymous users, add full page caching with varnish/nginx/etc
    2. If the mysql-part is slow, look into Memcached/Redis caching (can use another server)
    3. For single-page-latency, a faster cpu-core is better
    4. Make sure the db is configured for the server it's running on (example for PostgreSQL you want to change config based on the ram of the server)
    4. If the db part is slow, profile that too (better disk(always ssd/nvme), more memory?, better indexes?)

Thanked by 2ElonBezos 0xC7
  • @faleddo said:

Epyc or Xeon Platinum

• IMO, for wordpress, hosting your database in a separate server will net you much more performance boost than simply moving to a faster server (unless your new server is much faster than the old one). This is because mysql doesn't need to fight with php for cpu and i/o resources anymore.