Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of vps fit my need?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What kind of vps fit my need?

crvideoVRcrvideoVR Member
edited January 11 in General

I just purchased a VPS with 4 vcores, 4G ram, 100G nvm and set up emby for some 4k contents.

Direct play is good because the network speed is great. However I figure that it cannot even do one transcode. Does it mean one transcode need more than 4 vcores to run smoothly?

I figured that there are dedicated vcore vps. Will this be a better bet for transcoding? How many dedicated vcores are needed to get one transcode?

The VPS is only used by myself. And I use it maybe twice per week. One or two hours at most once. Investing too much is not worthy. I guess lower than $10 can find a VPS fitting this need, right? Current VPS costs $4. The price is unbeatable. However transcode would be good to have if I just increase the invest a little bit.

Newbie to VPS. Please give me some advice. Thanks!

Comments

• @crvideoVR said: Direct play is good because the network speed is great. However I figure that it cannot even do one transcode. Does it mean one transcode need more than 4 vcores to run smoothly?

I figured that there are dedicated vcore vps. Will this be a better bet for transcoding? How many dedicated vcores are needed to get one transcode?

Maybe a GPU?

• Why are you transcoding would be my first question?

• davidedavide Member
    edited January 11

I know for sure that encoding videos on a dedicated dual core [email protected] generally leads to a terrible afternoon. More recent processors do a lot better, especially with dedicated cores. I imagine you've seen Calin's offer in the other thread, 9€ for 4 dedi cores.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@crvideoVR

CPU Model - ?
    Media Server - ?
    Media File - 4K is HDR? does 1080p work well?
    Location - ?

• encoding using ffmpeg
    conversion speed 3.75x

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

ServerFactory VDS with half EPYC 7702P core
    encoding using ffmpeg
    2160p input 720p output
    conversion speed 0.13x

it s fine
    i start the encoding in the morning and it would done in the evening so i can watch on my tablet

• @yoursunny said:
    encoding using ffmpeg
    2160p input 720p output
    conversion speed 0.13x

it s fine
    i start the encoding in the morning and it would done in the evening so i can watch on my tablet

Can you point me to a sample 2160p clip that I can use for testing to 720p?

is the output x264 or x265?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 11

@dev_vps said:

@yoursunny said:
    encoding using ffmpeg
    2160p input 720p output
    conversion speed 0.13x

it s fine

Can you point me to a sample 2160p clip that I can use for testing to 720p?

is the output x264 or x265?

I obtained 2160p files from hdarea private tracker, when I cannot find the film on pubic tracker or the storage is full in my slice (can't afford slab).
    In hdarea they often mark 2160p file as "free" i.e.doesn't count toward quota, while 720p file would count toward quota.

Conversion command:
    nice ionice ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -preset ultrafast -vf scale=-2:720 -b:v 2000k output.mp4
    Output is h264 according to ffprobe: Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High 10) (avc1 / 0x31637661 ), yuv420p10le(tv, bt709), 1720x720 [SAR 2880:2881 DAR 160:6 7], 2090 kb/s, 60 fps, 60 tbr, 15360 tbn, 120 tbc (default)
    I already deleted the input.

Thanked by 1dev_vps
  • @dev_vps said:
    encoding using ffmpeg
    conversion speed 3.75x

Sorry I cannot understand very well. What conclusion I can get from this pic. Thanks.

• @OsirisBlack said:
    Why are you transcoding would be my first question?

Sometimes, it shows there is no streaming compatible to play.

• @host_c said:
    @crvideoVR

CPU Model - ?
    Media Server - ?
    Media File - 4K is HDR? does 1080p work well?
    Location - ?

CPU model : Not sure how to look at it.
    Media Server - emby
    Media File- not HDR. Not try 1080p.
    Location -US

• @yoursunny said:
    encoding using ffmpeg
    2160p input 720p output
    conversion speed 0.13x

it s fine

This is a choice:)

• @davide said:
    I know for sure that encoding videos on a dedicated dual core [email protected] generally leads to a terrible afternoon. More recent processors do a lot better, especially with dedicated cores. I imagine you've seen Calin's offer in the other thread, 9€ for 4 dedi cores.

I saw his deal and very tempting. Bad luck is the speed from the server to my location (US) is slow, maybe only 4MB/s.