Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it Better to Stay with the same company for all your website adventures?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it Better to Stay with the same company for all your website adventures?

I recently purchased a new host and i like the support the company the services they offer so far my server has been up. now i wanna purchase a new server for another project should i stay with the same company and just get another plan with them?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

If you like who you are with I don't see a reason to change that up

• If they suit your needs then I would stay with them...

• This is an extremely vague question. Could you please elaborate a little?

• so how long do you wait until you can say this is a good hosting provider

• @0xdragon said:
    This is an extremely vague question. Could you please elaborate a little?

dont think too much bro. is it better to stay with the same host for all your hosting needs?

• @lukenstine said:
    so how long do you wait until you can say this is a good hosting provider

for me 1 year, but for someone else maybe 1 week lol.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @lukenstine said:
    dont think too much bro. is it better to stay with the same host for all your hosting needs?

If they suit your needs, sure.

• Just don't put all your eggs in the same basket.

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n tux
  • @seikan said:
    Just don't put all your eggs in the same basket.

i kno i switched from godaddy.

• @lukenstine said:
    i kno i switched from godaddy.

i have nothing bad to stay about godaddy they are probably the best hosting company i have ever used ever

• If you find a good provider and want to stick with it, go for it, but be sure to keep up-to-date backups and everything in the event the VPS goes down or there is data corruption. Chances are you won't have problems, but it's always better to be safe than sorry in the event something unforeseen occurs.

With that being said, I've moved the VPSes I had at SecureDragon and BlueVM to RamNode, so I'm not exactly following the whole "don't put all your eggs in one basket" philosophy.

• @lukenstine i do that but still look for 3-4 good hosts for fall back

• As @CharlesA stated keep backups. Use your favorite host for all your needs but keep backups locally and on a second provider.

Chances of main host and backup having failure at the same time seems pretty rare.

• I'm pretty much spread out over companies because the company I was with couldn't host all the different things I needed.

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited December 2013

@lukenstine said:

>

1) You should always have a backup vps with a separate company

2) You should always have at least 1 mirror vps for every production vps.

Why can I recommend the above ? Well because a major portion of vps providers end up quitting without notice leaving you hanging and sometimes you don't even get enough time to backup. (over 6 years of experience in getting burned)

The most important point is; do not base everything on a single company no matter how good or reputed. You must also take into account natural disasters, so dont get another vps in the same region despite being from another company. Ideally get vps from various locations and No - few milliseconds of added latency doesn't really affect performance!

• raza19 said: a major portion of vps providers end up quitting without notice leaving you hanging

That's an over-generalization IMO, and applies mostly to poorly planned, badly managed, unrealistically lowend ventures.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @sleddog said:

open lowendbox.com and open the last page, start clicking on all the links from years ago and check out whose alive; an "overwhelming" number is gone!

• I'd just stay with the minimum number of hosts viable and keep backups on amazon AWS. If you really ever need it, you can flip on the switch, but otherwise it's a cheap standby.

• Buying all you stuff from one company is typically best (price wise)

• the only problem with sticking at one provider is that when they run into issues all your servers will go down

if you use multiple hosts then this would be less damaging.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2013

raza19 said: open lowendbox.com and open the last page, start clicking on all the links from years ago and check out whose alive; an "overwhelming" number is gone!

Because they were poorly planned, badly managed, unrealistically lowend ventures :)

There are oodles of good VPS hosts that have been around for years.