Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH aggresive DDOS Protection? how to handle?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH aggresive DDOS Protection? how to handle?

I purchased a server in OVH for backup my server in other provider, im doing the backup via rsync and for some reason i get massive mails none stop of "DDOS ATTACK MITIGATION" for the rsync =/
So i cant find OVH trusted to backup with his filter? or there a way around?

Any advises

Comments

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

rsync via direct ip of the server? if yes, do a VPN, and backup thru the vpn.

• LeviLevi Member

Setup wireguard and pump your data.

• What u guys suggest is an hassle @host_c @Levi .
    I tought there were a way to disable this "anti DDOS" that i dont know of.
    I guess i look for another provider.
    @OVH_Matt please adjust your DDOS Protection system it triggered to easly even on not harmful proccesses as rsync

• @Advicerxyz said:
    What u guys suggest is an hassle @host_c @Levi .
    @OVH_Matt please adjust your DDOS Protection system it triggered to easly even on not harmful proccesses as rsync

@FlorinMarian , please buy this server from OP @Advicerxyz , it has good DDoS protection it appears

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@Moopah said:

@Advicerxyz said:

@FlorinMarian , please buy this server from OP @Advicerxyz , it has good DDoS protection it appears

Thanks but see my last comment in the other thread.

• @Moopah said:

@Advicerxyz said:

lol it seems the rsync of transfering mass files trigger OVH DDOS protection prob because of massive packets size changes.

I change inc backup in jetbackup to compressed seems to run for now smoothly.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@Advicerxyz said: I change inc backup in jetbackup to compressed seems to run for now smoothly.

Or do a VPN, as that will compress/organise packets and not trigger the alarm.

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 11

@Levi said: Setup wireguard and pump your data.

This is much more likely to trigger DDoS protection, as OVH will see a stream of unknown UDP packets, much more similar to a DDoS, than an rsync which simply uses a regular SSH TCP connection.

As for why even rsync is detected as DDoS, I am not sure, and this has never happened to me at OVH.

One workaround would be to transfer via IPv6, as they don't have DDoS protection on v6, or it is not nearly as strict. That is if you want to look for workarounds and already write off the possibility of contacting support and having them solve the actual issue to begin with (which might be reasonable tbh).

• @host_c said:

@Advicerxyz said: I change inc backup in jetbackup to compressed seems to run for now smoothly.

Or do a VPN, as that will compress/organise packets and not trigger the alarm.

^ this or set SSH compression toggle in rsync

Thanked by 1host_c
  • @rm_ said:

This is much more likely to trigger DDoS protection, as OVH will see a stream of unknown UDP packets, much more similar to a DDoS, than an rsync which simply uses a regular SSH TCP connection.

As for why even rsync is detected as DDoS, I am not sure, and this has never happened to me at OVH.

One workaround would be to transfer via IPv6, as they don't have DDoS protection on v6, or it is not nearly as strict. That is if you want to look for workarounds and already write off the possibility of contacting support and having them solve the actual issue to begin with (which might be reasonable tbh).

Just tar.gz each account and db and transfer did not trigger the DDOS Protection, if you rsync the files via SSH for some reason it triger TCP ACK :smile:

• LeviLevi Member

@Advicerxyz said:

@rm_ said:

Just tar.gz each account and db and transfer did not trigger the DDOS Protection, if you rsync the files via SSH for some reason it triger TCP ACK :smile:

Contact OVH support. They can adjust their filters. In this forum no one will help you.

• emghemgh Member

Are we all going to pretend like he didn’t already solve it?

• I guess allowing certain ip's via firwall bypasses the firewall for eg

allow the server you're taking backup from in ovh firewall.